Q6600 underclocked? wtf

weemanbran

n00b
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
36
To my surprise today when I was looking at my CPU temps on CoreTemp I found out that my q6600 was running at 266x6 1600mhz (266x9 2400mhz is stock). I have never attempted to OC my processor so this was a shock to me.

I went into the bios and changed the multiplier back to 9 and saved. CPU-Z says I am now running at 2400mhz (stock), but CoreTemp goes back and forth between 1600mhz and 2400mhz. Any ideas on which one to trust/whats happening?
 
It's Speedstep. When the processor isn't loaded it lowers the multiplier to reduce heat and energy usage.
 
Yep, it's Speedstep, your minimal multi is 6 so it drops down when it doesn't need the speed. You can disable this, but there really is no point as it can save a good amount of power, as well as stay cooler when at idle.
 
Back
Top