q6600 to g3258?

There's a MC right by my work and I saw the G3258 bundle they have going on. I was considering picking it up to replace my current cpu/mobo in my secondary desktop which is just running kubuntu with phpstorm 99% of the time. I figured that even though the cpu benches only slightly faster I would still benefit from the memory and chipset upgrades (especially on the sata controller front).

tl:dr; I run Kubuntu and PHPStorm and want something with just a little bit more pep in regular desktop use, is the g3258 bundle a worthwhile purchase going from a q6600?

it really depends on what you want and how you use you pc. i personally am holding out for a bigger upgrade, but well all have different needs.....i for one want extreme cpu power, but that doesn't mean whats best for me is best for you. I wish you best of luck in your upgrade decisions:)

Im still using a system from 6 years ago, but it smokes some of the newer systems in ways i use my pc :)

There's a MC right by my work and I saw the G3258 bundle they have going on. I was considering picking it up to replace my current cpu/mobo in my secondary desktop which is just running kubuntu with phpstorm 99% of the time. I figured that even though the cpu benches only slightly faster I would still benefit from the memory and chipset upgrades (especially on the sata controller front).

tl:dr; I run Kubuntu and PHPStorm and want something with just a little bit more pep in regular desktop use, is the g3258 bundle a worthwhile purchase going from a q6600?

From a quick Google search, it seems that PHPStorm seems to like clockspeed, so if you are going to O/C the G3258 (that is such an awful name for a special one off chip:rolleyes::rolleyes:) I would say get it..For the $100 price of the combo, I really think its a nobrainer..If you clock the CPU up to 4.3~4.5Ghz (seems to be doable on 90%+ of the retail samples) then you should have one heck of a system that sips power..

You could resell the Q6600+MB+Ram and get enough for a decent 8GB of DDR3 or more...I say it's a go! I am going to be getting one myself when I take my dad to his VA appointment at the end of the month (there are TWO MC's within a short distance bahahaha)..

Im still using a system from 6 years ago, but it smokes some of the newer systems in ways i use my pc :)

Dude, we get you are proud of that second hand Xeon you have, but do you seriously have to plug every response you make on the forums with it? It's getting a bit old to see your name and "My Xeon etc etc etc"..

Dude, we get you are proud of that second hand Xeon you have, but do you seriously have to plug every response you make on the forums with it? It's getting a bit old to see your name and "My Xeon etc etc etc"..

You're not the only one noticing this.

I'm not out to get you primetime... but man, i feel like I should at least let you know. It's not getting old. It is old. I actually value some of your posts and content... so I hope i don't have to bust out the ignore list

On topic: If you are near a microcenter that has the combo in stock i would go ahead and take advantage of the deal! Especially if you're not currently overclocked and if you have, or plan on having, an SSD in that system

Last edited:
One good thing about the deal is it lets you upgrade down the rode to a much more robust cpu (i5, i7) should you want to keep it going for very little money.

One good thing about the deal is it lets you upgrade down the rode to a much more robust cpu (i5, i7) should you want to keep it going for very little money.

That's why I am biting - I'm in the same position as the OP (Q6600), with the additional issues of being shacked to the CSM stumblebum that is Intel G41 and maxed out on DDR2 (which is all the current mobo will swallow memory-wise). I see the G3258 as a placeholder (with an i5-4690K planned for the target).

Awesomesauce:

1. Will overclock to at least 4 GHz on air, even with the stock HSF (which hasn't been the case since Ivy Bridge).
2. Supports Extended Processor Table features (Hyper-V requires this feature in Windows 8 and 8.1, and can leverage it in any version of Windows Server from 2008 forward).
3. Still supports x64 (therefore, no downgrading your software).

Mocktail Sauce:

1. Not a quad-core.

Depends if you NEED those two cores or HT for the matter.

If you need sessions, it would be fine for a single session but it wouldn't be able to do more then one.

Also I wouldn't use a stock heatsink with it, especially if you plan to drop something better in down the road. I'd go for a robust heat pipe heatsink or an AIO right now, that way all you have to do is drop in, re-goop and you are good to go.

Do you need more than two cores? If the answer is no then the G3258 is the best overclocking budget cpu there is.

From a quick Google search, it seems that PHPStorm seems to like clockspeed, so if you are going to O/C the G3258 (that is such an awful name for a special one off chip:rolleyes::rolleyes:) I would say get it..For the $100 price of the combo, I really think its a nobrainer..If you clock the CPU up to 4.3~4.5Ghz (seems to be doable on 90%+ of the retail samples) then you should have one heck of a system that sips power..

You could resell the Q6600+MB+Ram and get enough for a decent 8GB of DDR3 or more...I say it's a go! I am going to be getting one myself when I take my dad to his VA appointment at the end of the month (there are TWO MC's within a short distance bahahaha)..

ok message received.......:(i wasn't aware i was annoying anyone...ill go back to being a lurker:mad:....I have always valued your post as intelligent information...if I was in the wrong then i need to shut up plain and simple....i always viewed you as a mentor with someone who know his shit...i was trying to help but in doing so made an ass of myself......for this i am sorry and will do more reading than posing...i apologize to anyone and everyone i aggravated and i guess when it gets right down to it im a dumass and need to read more than post

Last edited:
ok message received.......:(i wasn't aware i was annoying anyone...ill go back to being a lurker:mad:....I have always valued your post as intelligent information...if I was in the wrong then i need to shut up plain and simple....i always viewed you as a mentor with someone who know his shit...i was trying to help but in doing so made an ass of myself......for this i am sorry and will do more reading than posing...i apologize to anyone and everyone i aggravated and i guess when it gets right down to it im a dumass and need to read more than post

You don't have to go back to being a lurker, I didn't say that or meant any offense. Perhaps I should have just shot you a quick PM instead of saying it this way, so I apologize. I have told you that Xeon you have is a kick ass cpu and you certainly got a TON of value for the money. Just tone it down a little that's all:p..

It's pretty sad that the only thing we have to get excited about is finding awesome deals on old hardware, but that is an entirely different story..

I'd imagine you'd see a much larger benefit by upgrading to an SSD. Since PHPStorm is a text editor/IDE, and it tries to aggregate helpful things about the project you are working on, it's doing a lot of reads from a lot of different files to gather that information. I guess it would depend on the size of the project and whether or not it fits into memory.

I'd imagine you'd see a much larger benefit by upgrading to an SSD. Since PHPStorm is a text editor/IDE, and it tries to aggregate helpful things about the project you are working on, it's doing a lot of reads from a lot of different files to gather that information. I guess it would depend on the size of the project and whether or not it fits into memory.

I'm not discounting the bennies of overclocking - until G41, I pretty much have been doing overcrankage since the original Pentium. However, fewer of my current applications benefit as much from it as they do from more cores, and this is especially true for my x64-based (and/or more recent-vintage) applications and games - the number of games that don't benefit from more cores can be counted on two hands, but with fingers left over, and all are x32. (Same applies on the application side of things, at least in my case.)

That is where the issue lies, at least for me - I have a different software mix than I started with when I moved to Windows in x64; I have more multicore-aware software than I did at first.

Depends if you NEED those two cores or HT for the matter.

If you need sessions, it would be fine for a single session but it wouldn't be able to do more then one.

Also I wouldn't use a stock heatsink with it, especially if you plan to drop something better in down the road. I'd go for a robust heat pipe heatsink or an AIO right now, that way all you have to do is drop in, re-goop and you are good to go.

When (not if) I go i5-4690K, I WILL be going with a more robust HSF (right now, the still-popular Hyer212 EVO or 212+ still leads the charge there) if I don't from the beginning - it's not exactly pricey.

That is also why I personally brought up virtualization, and specifically Hyper-V (my preferred *sort* of virtualization) - however, the reason will be to primarily hold onto the same clocking with the quad0core that I had with the dual-core - my need for overclock speed is not that extreme (and it is also not that obtainable, with either Haswell OR DC - not even on AIO liquid cooling, let alone air). My target is all of 4.3 GHz - which is quite suitable for MY needs, thank you - and that is whether dual-core OR quad-core.

I'm not discounting the bennies of overclocking - until G41, I pretty much have been doing overcrankage since the original Pentium. However, fewer of my current applications benefit as much from it as they do from more cores, and this is especially true for my x64-based (and/or more recent-vintage) applications and games - the number of games that don't benefit from more cores can be counted on two hands, but with fingers left over, and all are x32. (Same applies on the application side of things, at least in my case.)

That is where the issue lies, at least for me - I have a different software mix than I started with when I moved to Windows in x64; I have more multicore-aware software than I did at first.

I'm not sure why you quoted me as your situation is completely different than the OP's. If you are running a mix of multi-core aware software as well as virtualizing new environments, going to less real cores could potentially be a serious step down. A lot of it depends on if the new environments are CPU hungry or not. If not, then you mainly need more RAM to support them. As a general rule I leave two real cores open on the host to make sure I can still reasonably do most tasks normally.

I just upgraded my wife from a [email protected] ( intel board wouldn't overclock ). To a G3258 on a nice msi z87-g45 board. I got the board new in a trade lol. Picked up the cpu on here used for 50 bucks. I'm about to start overclocking it in a few hope to break at least 4.5-4.7ghz on a Corsair H50. She just plays WOW and is going to start playing WildStar. So should be fine for her gaming needs.

I just upgraded my wife from a [email protected] ( intel board wouldn't overclock ). To a G3258 on a nice msi z87-g45 board. I got the board new in a trade lol. Picked up the cpu on here used for 50 bucks. I'm about to start overclocking it in a few hope to break at least 4.5-4.7ghz on a Corsair H50. She just plays WOW and is going to start playing WildStar. So should be fine for her gaming needs.
Things gonna manhandle WoW

I'm not sure why you quoted me as your situation is completely different than the OP's. If you are running a mix of multi-core aware software as well as virtualizing new environments, going to less real cores could potentially be a serious step down. A lot of it depends on if the new environments are CPU hungry or not. If not, then you mainly need more RAM to support them. As a general rule I leave two real cores open on the host to make sure I can still reasonably do most tasks normally.

In some applications (such as virtualization) it will be basically an even swap - I'll have more memory for VM instances, but fewer cores; for those types of usages, it will be a draw.

For core-intensive applications and games, I'm going to take a whacking (which I pointed out before) - higher clocking will take some of the pressure off, but how much depends on the individual application or game.

Lighter applications will see a gain - that is entirely due to taller clocking of the CPU (x32-based single-core applications and games are in this category).

Hence the very reason why I see G3258 as a placeholder for anyone coming from even the oldest quad-cores - at current pricing, that is the ONLY value of a dual-core CPU from anybody.

(In a way, I'm repeating myself - remember, I went to Celeron DC from P4 Northwood-C; however, I'm doing it for the same reasons I did then - I used the dual-core as a placeholder, with a quad-core as the eventual target.)

Back