Q6600 temps with Vendetta 2

therealjustin

Limp Gawd
I finally got around to testing my Q6600 with my OCZ Vendetta 2 cooler. I used OCCT to quickly see what kind of temps I was getting. Unfortunately I got a high VID chip(batch L740B) with it's stock voltage at 1.31v. No matter though as I really only wanted to go to 3Ghz or so which it does on stock voltage and seems to be perfectly stable. I used OCZ Freeze for a TIM.

The room temp was around 26c and at 3Ghz the cores hovered around 57-59c only breaking 60c for a second or so a few times. At 2.4Ghz it topped out at around 55-57c I ran OCCT for an hour. Core 3 stayed the coolest. Are these good temps? I searched everywhere but can't find any info on the Vendetta 2 and expected temps. I applied the thermal paste by putting two lines 1/3 the width of the processor on both inside aluminum "bars". After I installed it I seen that I used too much TIM as it had oozed out onto the sides of the CPU a little. Coverage on the IHS seemed nice and evenly distributed though.

More testing will have to wait, my motherboard had to be RMA'd back to Neweg(excellent customer support btw!) because the BIOS somehow got corrupted. It kept checking my hard drive on startup for a BIOS image. Hopefully the replacement will be here soon!

An average high of 57 with all 4 cores stressed is a very safe temperature. OCCT will really get those cores up to their max possible temp, so you'll never see those temps again. So I'd say it's safe....though the thermal compound should be so plentiful that it leaks over the sides. remember you just want to fill any air gaps between the CPU and the cooler.

Yeah, I read somewhere that if you think you put too little on it's most likely the right amount. I really used WAY too much thermal paste. You wouldn't think two small lines would end up in globs on goo everywhere like that:D Oh well, this is my first build. I learned something that's for sure.

You should try just one line in the center. Too much can end up holding in heat and not giving optimal performance of the hsf. Maybe your temps will drop a little bit :D

The extra TIM shouldn't really make a difference if you have good contact between the CPU and heatsink, because all the excess should squeeze out. Your temps do look perfectly fine though, so as long as you run some stability tests and your system doesn't crash during usage, your overclock should work great.

I ran OCCT for 10 minutes after getting my new motherboard and with room temps at 70F I'm getting:

49c
49c
42c
44c

Core 3(or actually core 2 I guess, 0,1,2,3) is still the coolest. I used the one perpendicular line across the heat pipes this time versus the two lines on the aluminum base. Considering the room is exactly 10f cooler it seems both methods work well!

^ I had that same issue on mine the 0/1 cores were 3-5C degrees hotter than 2/3 cores not sure why

Since quad-core Intel CPUs use two separate dies, it's very common for one pair of cores to run hotter than the other. It's nothing to worry about, and your temps are excellent in any case.

Back