• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 temps and overclocking

Rehevkor

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
1,155
It's been a long time since I overclocked anything, and I'm looking at adding a little speed to my new q6600. I loaded up prime95 and let it cook for a while, then took this screenshot to show the temps under full load:

coretemps.png


The idle temps are around 35/35/31/31C. Do I have room to overclock here, or is it too hot to work with? I'm using a Dynatron P985 HSF with Tuniq TX-2 on a GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L motherboard. Any advice would be appreciated!
 
Only way to find out is to push her and see what happens. Initially those temps are fine. My safety spot is to stay under 65C on any core under full load. Still though, you'll probably want a better heatsink to really take that Q6600 further.
 
my q6600 (3.2ghz / 1.33v ) idles @ around 40c~44c because of environment goes up to 50~55c full load
60c + on orthos.
NEVER had cpu over heat issue.
 
While those temps look acceptable, you should disable speed step in BIOS, and test again.

Because of how similar that cooler looks to Intel's, and my experience with Intel's, I don't think that the cooler will be able to take the extra load of on overclocked cpu. Mine won't, comfortably.
 
Looking at your CPU-z screenshot I notice that your multiplier is set at 8x
Go into your bios and set it to 9x which is the stock setting for the q6600 (9x266=2.4ghz)

Also those temps seem high at full load especially since you are running slightly underclocked at the moment.
 
Looking at your CPU-z screenshot I notice that your multiplier is set at 8x
Go into your bios and set it to 9x which is the stock setting for the q6600 (9x266=2.4ghz)

Also those temps seem high at full load especially since you are running slightly underclocked at the moment.

Thanks for pointing that out... I hadn't even noticed. I fixed that and turned Speedstep off in the bios (it wasn't actually called Speedstep, naturally). My full-load temps are now 59/58/56/56C. Looking pretty warm already... Oh well, it's still smoking fast in my rig, so I'll leave it alone for now and look into a better HSF later on if I feel the urge to overclock again.

Thanks for the info everyone!
 
Looking at your CPU-z screenshot I notice that your multiplier is set at 8x
Go into your bios and set it to 9x which is the stock setting for the q6600 (9x266=2.4ghz)

Also those temps seem high at full load especially since you are running slightly underclocked at the moment.


That is because of the speedstep, as it lowers the multi when not under a load. As others have already pointed out though.

I would say somewhere in the 3.2Ghrz range on stock volts though. As mine does 3.0Ghrz on stock voltage with ease and i have a high voltage cpu.

Good Day
 
That is because of the speedstep, as it lowers the multi when not under a load. As others have already pointed out though.

I would say somewhere in the 3.2Ghrz range on stock volts though. As mine does 3.0Ghrz on stock voltage with ease and i have a high voltage cpu.

Good Day

No, speedstep lowers multi on the Q6600 to 6x266 not 8x266... at least that's what it does with my Q6600(and every other Q6600 out there.)

Good Night
 
My temps peak at 75c in prime95. Idles around 35. Im at 3.2 ghz with a xigmatek cooler(dont remember which one). shouldnt hurt, I did 3.0 on the stock cooler.

Edit: If youre looking to overclock, match your RAM speed with your FSB. It really makes a world of difference.
 
With the cooler the OP is using I wouldn't expect much higher than 3.0Ghz out of it, temp limited. Maybe reseat the cooler to try and squeeze an extra couple degrees out of it.

Try raising the MCH and FSB voltages by .01v, increase the FSB to 333, lock the PCIe at 101, set the ram divider to 2.4 (will have your RAM running at 800). That'll give you a solid 3.0Ghz and see what your temps are like then. If they go over 70c then you'll need a new cooler.
 
You should be getting around 60 degrees tops with an OC to 3.1ghz. Watch your voltage and make sure to use Realtemp or Coretemp.
 
Back
Top