• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 seems slow?

Obiwanshinobi900

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Messages
330
I finally got my new rig build today. heres the specs:
Q6600
Evga 780i mobo
Palit 9600gt
4gb OCZ reaper ram

It seems a little slower than I expected. I plan to oc it to 3.0. But when I'm watching the task manager monitor it seems to jump to like 30% way to easy for 4 cores I think. Is using that an accurate way?

Can anyone reccomend me some good monitoring programs for my quad core? I want to make sure I can game and burn dvds and do other shit all at the same time with no performance slowdown.
 
What O/S are you using? I just through up some widgets in vista and use them for monitoring there is some that will monitor your quad core.
 
What O/S are you using? I just through up some widgets in vista and use them for monitoring there is some that will monitor your quad core.

Amusingly, I managed to install a Sidebar gadget which was using up 80% of my Q6600's power - to monitor the CPU utilisation. That didn't last long.

Task Manager should be fine. You can launch the Reliability and Performance Monitor for lots more metrics, too.
 
Whoa... try a different monitor. I like this one: http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=febd64a1-2031-4452-8cfa-250a92623c5a&bt=1&pl=1

It's nice and simple.

That's what I use. I've got my sidebar setup on my secondary monitor. It's nice being able to monitor my CPU/MEM usage while in-game.

And to the OP... Does the Q6600 actually "feel slow" or is it just in your head beucase you are seeing 30% duty cycle? When I first go into task manager, mine spikes up to 39% rather easily, but I can reproduce this spike with any CPU. Happens on my C2D, C2Q and A64 X2 systems.

You really should have zero problems with multi-tasking and gaming, I know I don't, even my C2D can handle it to an extent.
 
Its the 30% duty cycle. I wasn't sure how normal that was. What is this duty cycle anyways?
and I'm going to find out how well it multi tasks and plays games soon.
 
Don't worry about the 30%

Judge it's performance by just that, it's performance. Overclocking to 3GHz will give a nice performance boost, especailly to games that only use 1 or 2 cores.
 
its not slow, i had an E4400 clocked to 3ghz and i could render a dvd through dvd shrink in about 3 minutes. with the q6600 at 3ghz, i can render that same dvd in about 45 seconds. 4.7gb file... i love it. it renders stuff so dang quick!
 
Open up task manager, and go to the processes pane. Then click on the top of the CPU column. Idle should jump to the top of the list. Any other processes that are using significant system resources will consistently jump to the top of the list.

My Q6600 uses about 2% or less at idle with just a few browser windows open. I am in XP Pro with no sidebar or gadgets installed yet.

Don
 
its not slow, i had an E4400 clocked to 3ghz and i could render a dvd through dvd shrink in about 3 minutes. with the q6600 at 3ghz, i can render that same dvd in about 45 seconds. 4.7gb file... i love it. it renders stuff so dang quick!

When you say render is that the same as encoding it to your harddrive? Because I have an E4400 at 3ghz and it takes me about 15 mins to encode say pirates of the caribbean. Is this wrong?
 
DVD Shrink is not rendering anything. It's simply ripping the DVD to your hard drive and in some cases, compressing it. I have a hard time believing a 45 second rip is possible with ANY processor simply because the optical drive would be the main bottleneck at that point and would not be fast enough to process 8GB of data in 45 seconds.

FWIW, my Q6600 idles between 0-2% with Vista Ultimate x64, and sidebar running with 5 gadgets.
 
I had the same doubts. On average how fast does your 6600 take to rip a say 5 gig file to your harddrive?
 
BTW, whats up with Palit, it came from nowhere, but has the best videocard around now. (b/c of the HDMI, 2 x dual dvi + Display Port + SPDIF input)

Why doesn't anyone else follow their lead. Awesome forward looking design of output ports.
 
When you say render is that the same as encoding it to your harddrive? Because I have an E4400 at 3ghz and it takes me about 15 mins to encode say pirates of the caribbean. Is this wrong?


what i mean by render is, i have an ISO file... i want to say, remove the menus and other junk from the movie(i own the movie, so its ok) i take the ISO and rip it with daemon tools, then open up dvd shrink and then remove menus, etc and hit "backup". it will render the video back to an .iso file so i can watch with VLC media player. it took about 6 minutes with a stock E4400. with the E4400 at 3 ghz, it took about 2mins 15 seconds. with the Q6600 at 3096mhz, it takes about 45 seconds :D

and, extracting .rar files is super fast now too. i download lots of "text" lol and they are super quick to unpack.
 
DVD Shrink is not rendering anything. It's simply ripping the DVD to your hard drive and in some cases, compressing it. I have a hard time believing a 45 second rip is possible with ANY processor simply because the optical drive would be the main bottleneck at that point and would not be fast enough to process 8GB of data in 45 seconds.

FWIW, my Q6600 idles between 0-2% with Vista Ultimate x64, and sidebar running with 5 gadgets.

i dont rip dvd's straight from disc to hard drive... i mount a file using daemon tools and rip that way. 40x is the usual rip speed. i guess my defineition of render isnt correct...

also, the files i use with dvd shrink arent 8gb... but more like 3.3-4.5gb. they are just dvd's, and keep in mind i am not using a drive for doing any part of this. hell, i only have some old crappy dvd rom drive in my HTPC, because i dont want to buy a new one. i use newsgroups for the most part.
 
also, my chip seems to like the higher fsb.... i originally had it at 340*9 for 3060mhz... i decided to try 425*7 and it did super pi in .2 seconds faster than the other speed... and at a slower clock of 2975mhz. i am now going for 450*7 and see how that does. i expect a good increase

just tried it at 443*7 for a 3.107 ghz speed, and it was .7 seconds quicker. my chip has never jumped that high on just 100 mhz overclock more, which is impressive to me. this chip definitely likes the high FSB speeds. im at 1775 FSB and it feels a lot quicker.

specs on my comp are
asus p5k-e wifi
q6600
hitachi deathstars
7900gt(used for hdmi output)
2x1gb of crucial 1066 ram with D9 chips.
antex true power trio 550w psu
media center case, no active cooling other than the arctic freezer pro 7 HSF.
 
Back
Top