• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 Power Requirements

connec

n00b
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
18
Wasn't sure if this would be the best thread for this, or power supplies, but anyway :p

My relatively low end 2Gb 667MHz, 1x 8800 GTS 320Mb and stock dell MoBo running dual 1440x900s is being pulled down quite a bit by my 3GHz P4 CPU, especially when I'm trying to run firefox, two instances of Eve Online with premium GFX, itunes, and miriad other 'background' tasks. And porn ofc.

I've decided to take a cosmic leap and jump straight to a Q6600, and what I would like to know is whether the power requirements of a Q6600 are enough to merit upgrading my at-max-capacity PSU (375MW, less than is quoted on a 8800 GTS :/ ).

I intend to upgrade it soon (tm) anyway, but I need a MoBo to run the new processor, so I'd have to get that first, and I only have ~$400, whoch probably isn't enough for all 3 components, since I'm buying in the UK.

Thanks
 
If you are going to get a Q6600 cpu, then make sure your power supply has at least 26Amps combined on the +12v rail. Especially since you have that 8800GTS 320Mb video card. You should get a 30+ amp power supply though which would be more ideal. If you look on your PS it should say 22, 24, 26A etc.on the +12V.
 
Ah thanks, I happen to know mine isn't, barely meets the specs for the 8800 GTS, looks like new PSU & new MoBo then xD

Thanks for the advice.
 
I have a Q6600@ 3.2 and a 8800gt in an Antec 900 with 7 fans.

Loaded with prime95/4cores and an instance of rthibl, I was pulling 260 watts from the wall.

My ocz modstream 520 has 28amps on the 12v rail and is rock solid.
 
Well, you should be OK in theory.

But...

You will be running your supply at close to 75% of it's rated max. If you go and read some of the PSU reviews here on [H], that seems to be a point that alot of marginal supplies start to go south.

If it is just for a couple of months, and it is not on and Folding 24/7, you should be OK, but I would not go for an extended time like that.

Don
 
I like the optimism, but I'm probably gonna play it safe and get a decent MoBo and PSU this month, and wait till next for my Q6600, that way I'm not rushing anything and can make sure everything else runs smoothly before throwing in an expensive processor.
 
Back
Top