Q6600 overclocking question

magictoaster

Limp Gawd
I’m overclocking an Intel Q6600 (G0 on an ASUS P5K-Premium/WiFi-AP with 4GB of RAM (Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 PC2-8500 4x1GB). It’s currently at 3347.0 MHz (x 9.0) and the RAM is at 446.3 MHz. It’s been running Prime95 for about 3 hours without any issues, but CPU temperature looks a bit high (Core 1=83C, Core 2=83C, Core 3=76C, Core 4=76C), monitored with PC Wizard 2008.

I’m also using a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme.

I guess my question is, since I’m a total OC newbie, should I be worried, or is this a normal temperature. I’ve checked different forums and some say it’s ok, other say it’s to high...

Thanks!

Check your temps with Real Temp (which a lot of people say is pretty accurate--it has good temp estimation with tjmax of 95c). And how much vcore did you use? 83c is pretty high, there might be a mounting issue or too much vcore being used. I have the same processor q6600 G0 with the thermal right ultra extreme 120 and im only hitting 67c 8 hours prime.

Temps are definitely too high.

With my overclock, I am only hitting 62-63c with all 4 cores fully loaded with Orthos.

This is the highest temp in years I have let a CPU in one of my rigs run at fully loaded.

My settings are :
- FSB Strap 333MHz
- Core Voltage: 1.440 V
- CPU DLL: 1.70
- FSB Termination Voltage: 1.40V
- North Bridge Voltage: 1.55V

I'll try with Real Temp! Thanks for your help!

My settings are :
- FSB Strap 333MHz
- Core Voltage: 1.440 V
- CPU DLL: 1.70
- North Bridge Voltage: 1.55V

I'll try with Real Temp! Thanks for your help!

way to high temps to be using those high voltages you need better cooling

see what you get with
- FSB Strap 333MHz
- Core Voltage: 1.35V
- CPU PLL: 1.60
- North Bridge Voltage: 1.30V

Using Real Temp 2.70, I'm getting lower temperatures : 70C/67C/60C/60C...

Sounds about right for those temps at 1.44 vcore (assuming you have an unlapped TRUE-120 and cpu). Your vcore setting seems pretty high to achieve stability at 3.33GHz-- attempt to step it down a bit. I would always try to keep it below 75c load for prolonged periods of time, it seems that you're getting pretty close to it with prime. I don't recommend increasing your vcore beyond what you have now with overclocking--until you can give yourself a little more head room to work with in temps (better case airflow, maybe a remount and reapplication of TIM).

What I would do would be to set everything back at stock settings and work slowly up. See if you can run at 3.0GHz at 1.3 vcore - 1.325 vcore stably first--it's a standard I use to see how much oc head room I have for the q6600. Usually, if I am able to, I know I have a fair bit of headroom to work with--but if it isn't stable I know the "overclockability" of the chip is very limited. Remember to work in slow increments of FSB and especially with voltage which you should be very conservative with (1.44vcore is probably the max you should ever reach with your current ability to keep below 75c). Also stress test after each "plateau" (as I call it) which is about every 150MHz increase in processor clock speed.

Also, one thing I noticed was the high amount of north bridge voltage you are using which isn't necessary as you are only running 38MHz FSB over your motherboard's rated speed. The p35 has a fair bit of headroom already at stock north bridge volts (1.25v).

temps seem high to me. I did 400x8 @ 1.2875 volts w/ ram at 400mhz. I didn't need to change NB but i ran prim95 for over 5 hours and maxxed temp at 65C across cores. Never went higher with my tuniq tower

@lostnkonfused

I’ve reset everything to “Auto”, except for the CPU Ratio ( x 9.0), FSB Strap to North Bridge at 333MHz, FSB at 372, PCIE 100 and DDR2-894MHz.

All voltage are untouched, and so far, nothing above 68C (max, goes down to 66C). I guess that if it’s stable like this for a few hours, I should be fine without voltage adjustments.

Auto voltages are highly conservative and chances are it's set to a value quite a bit higher than you actually need. I suggest you adjust the CPU voltage setting manually and try and find the lowest stable value. That will greatly reduce both your CPU temperatures and your power usage.

I'll try lowering the voltage and keeping everything stable. I'm still really happy not to have experienced a crash while running Prime95. I think that 3347.0 MHz is not bad at all!

I'll try lowering the voltage and keeping everything stable. I'm still really happy not to have experienced a crash while running Prime95. I think that 3347.0 MHz is not bad at all!

Agreed, but with the Ultra120 you should not need that much voltage for that little speed. Remember the voltage rule as little as possible as much as necessary. 1.44v for 3.3Ghz is abnormal. You should be around 1.35v

On "auto", core voltage is at 1.352 (verified using CPU-Z). Still stable, with good temps, so I'll leave it at that for the moment! Thanks for your help! :)

Back