Q6600 Overclock thread.

hi,

Temps by Coretemp .96.1 Volts by CPU-Z 1.43 TT Big Typhoon original version lapped for CPU cooling. Rest of the specs in the signature below.

Q6600 SLACR G0
Current OC 3.33 GHz

Idle V core 1.312
Temps 34-36-31-35

Load V core 1.248
Temps 60-60-57-57

I am thinking about just clocking it at 3.0 since I have not seen a real difference in apps or in games for the most part. The other added benefit is a lower voltage input for lower temps. It seems a lot of people have been running their Q6600 in the 3.0 GHz range.

Later,
shaggy
 
hi,

Temps by Coretemp .96.1 Volts by CPU-Z 1.43 TT Big Typhoon original version lapped for CPU cooling. Rest of the specs in the signature below.

Q6600 SLACR G0
Current OC 3.33 GHz

Idle V core 1.312
Temps 34-36-31-35

Load V core 1.248
Temps 60-60-57-57

I am thinking about just clocking it at 3.0 since I have not seen a real difference in apps or in games for the most part. The other added benefit is a lower voltage input for lower temps. It seems a lot of people have been running their Q6600 in the 3.0 GHz range.

Later,
shaggy

Thats where I leave mine. Can run at stock voltage and temps never break 48. Like you said though I never really noticed a difference in performance between 3.0 and 3.3. My 3DMark06 score goes up. *shrug* so do my temps and voltage. FWIW leaving it at 3.0 runs everything and then some with no sweat, so why push it?
 
Hi,


Thats where I leave mine. Can run at stock voltage and temps never break 48. Like you said though I never really noticed a difference in performance between 3.0 and 3.3. My 3DMark06 score goes up. *shrug* so do my temps and voltage. FWIW leaving it at 3.0 runs everything and then some with no sweat, so why push it?

What you don't want pwnage (TM)? I thought the whole concept of futuremark was to enlarge your E member the safe, natural way.

Back to the topic, I just did the drop from 3.3 to 3.0. Just that bit of voltage made a huge difference in temp. Right now I am in Prime 95 v25.6. With stock volts 51 51 49 49 are the temps. 1.168 under load volts. That is cool :)

Later,
shaggy
 
I'm priming my Q6600 G0 at 3.6ghz @ 1.4v right now. It seems stable... but my temps reach 70C max. Would that be safe to run as long as it(IF*) passes prime for 20 hours?

edit: using a thermalright ultra-120 eX
 
Prime seems to have about a 10C premium over Folding@Home, running my Q6600 at 3600 (9x400) 1.43V read from cpu-z and speedfan, set at 1.5250 in bios.

With the all-cores-maxxed prime95, large FFTs, I'm running 64Cx2, 57Cx2. I'm probably going to try reducing the voltage a bit at a time, see if it'll still run stable. With 4 cores folding, I usually don't go above 55C.
 
Dropped VCore from 1.525 to 1.500V in bios (1.43 > 1.41 in speedfan) and dropped to 59Cx2 53Cx2. I'll probably keep lowering it and see if I can get into the 50-55C range... Running Prime95 that is, no other load seems to come close.
 
Just got my motherboard IP35-E and CPU, q6600 put together last night.

Ran Prime 95 on all four cores last night while I was sleeping for about 6 and 1/2 hours with my Intel retail heatsink/fan + artic silver ceramique. Temps got no higher than 66* according to core temp's log with my 3.0Ghz overclock on stock voltage.

This means I don't have much headroom for overclocking higher without a new heatsink/fan combo - but it is also very cool that I'm 100% stable at 3.0Ghz without any voltage modification. I think I might just leave it alone and a year down the line when I'm hungry for a bit more speed try to by a new heatsink and up the ante a bit. The only problem with doing this is my 800mhz RAM is only running at 667. (PC6400 running at PC5700) I could use a RAM mutiplier setting of 1.2 to get it to 800mhz but not sure if that hurts efficiency to lose the 1:1 settings. Anyway - Immediately after quiting prime 95 my CPU temps dropped back down to 38,38,34,34. Now they are at 37,37,34,34 while typing this.

I tried last night 400mhz FSB x 8x CPU multiplier with a 1:1 RAM multiplier using stock voltage, but it wouldn't boot into windows. I tried again with 2.24 CPU voltage, but it failed again. I'll play with it some more tonight and see what I can come up with, but seeing that my CPU temps got to 66* with stock voltage I don't have a whole lot more room to play around with this intel cooler -- until I upgrade!


Overall just very happy with my board and cpu purchase. I was amazed that while running prime 95 and task manager showing all four cores chewing at 100% that I was still able to use my computer normally. Still able to listen to MP3's, surf, and mouse resonsiveness was almost normal. Never saw that before on dual core I've owned. --- normally it's start prime 95 and walk away because the computer isn't very functional.
 
Archaea, I would set the ram dividers so that the ram is running at ddr800 speeds.
 
Back
Top