Q6600 Overclock-OK for 24/7?

strend

Gawd
Are these temps acceptable for 24/7 use? During the 1st set of tests on prime, cores 0 and 1 topped out at 72C.

I've had to bump the voltage up to 1.475 in bios for this to be stable. Core 3 was being a punk and failing at 19 minutes at anything less, which is a shame considering the other 3 cores are stable at 1.4 in bios (1.36 under load) and maxed out at 64C.

213Q6600%2036.JPG

BTW, I picked up this Xigmatek cooler for the build:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

and am very impressed. Once I kill Prime95 it's a matter for seconds before I'm back to Idle temps. Very efficient cooler.

excellent overclock if you can get it to last at least 12 hours. now all you have to do is throw in a concurrent gpu stress test like real time hdr demo to ensure you have full system stability. i've left two q6600 at 3ghz only because i don't like temps to move much beyond 60'c.

I replaced the stock fan on my CPU cooler with a Delta fan I had pulled from an old Gateway powersupply. Fan blows a crap-ton of air and the noise is acceptable. So far so good:

214Q6600%2036-2.JPG

Question on memory:
Is the speed difference really worth it on 5-5-5-15 vs. 4-4-4-12? I'm just concerned with pushing 2.2v to get to the tighter timings. The memory is pretty hot to the touch.

the difference in 5-5-5-15 and 4-4-4-12 is really only discernable in benchmarking. personally, i'd only run looser timings if i can get another tenth of a ghz out of it. as for the memory heat issue, i don't know what kind of modules you're using but both ocz and corsair sell ram coolers that are actually pretty effective.

My results w/ a 1.275v VID G0 are about the same.. Although I've only done a few hours worth of Priming. I may find out I need a tad more voltage to pass 8+ hours. And your temps on air aren't all that much higher than mine - 7-8c or so (my loop is in dire need of a flush + new fluid).

If your ram will hold go 8@450. Drop the timings to 4-4-4-12. It will get spiffy on you. :)

Mine running 66c to 60c across the slug right now. Running two smp clients and p2p going @ 79f room temp. 1.45v in bios. CPU-Z shows 1.397v old 204 bios on the P5K-P.

Yeah I run my Q6600 hot about 71-72 and I think its fine it only gets the hot during prime real world it's not likely to get tht hot...

If you want complete peace of mind, find the max overclock and back off the FSB by approx 5 or 10MHz (5MHz is approx 1% less)

Mine runs 24/7 in this fashion.
Ahh serenity :)

It may reduce the life but I never keep a processor that long anyway... The quad Q6600 can handle it but the new ones don't like too much voltage penryn I think thats how you spell it

Back