• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Q6600 overclock issues

SeaWulf

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 29, 2011
Messages
234
Hello, I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for a while.


Over a year ago I was running my Q6600 at 3Ghz with the stock voltage on the stock cooler without issue. After running at stock settings for some months, I tried to overclock again with hopes of going higher since I have better cooling now, but I haven't had much success. I have to increase the voltage a bunch to even boot into windows; in order to boot at 333x9 I had to up the vCore to 1.40v and I can't push the clock up any higher, even with increased voltage :eek:

Load temps after a couple hours are below 45C in Prime95 at that clock/voltage

Any ideas? The only thing that I've changed since then was updating the bios from version F5 to F9, adding a few more drives, and getting better cooling.

Q6600 G0 cooled by Corsair H50 push/pull fan config in a well ventilated case
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo
2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
EVGA GTS450
Corsair 650W PSU


Thanks!
 
OC'ing your q6600 also depends on your RAM rated speeds. Is your ram ddr2 800mhz?
 
Its broken. I'll buy it for 20 bucks if you want.

Hello, I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for a while.


Over a year ago I was running my Q6600 at 3Ghz with the stock voltage on the stock cooler without issue. After running at stock settings for some months, I tried to overclock again with hopes of going higher since I have better cooling now, but I haven't had much success. I have to increase the voltage a bunch to even boot into windows; in order to boot at 333x9 I had to up the vCore to 1.40v and I can't push the clock up any higher, even with increased voltage :eek:

Load temps after a couple hours are below 45C in Prime95 at that clock/voltage

Any ideas? The only thing that I've changed since then was updating the bios from version F5 to F9, adding a few more drives, and getting better cooling.

Q6600 G0 cooled by Corsair H50 push/pull fan config in a well ventilated case
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo
2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
EVGA GTS450
Corsair 650W PSU


Thanks!
 
OC'ing your q6600 also depends on your RAM rated speeds. Is your ram ddr2 800mhz?

Yes. Playing with voltages and timing doesn't seem to make a difference. Also tried running a 2.0x multi which worked fine, but I still can't push the clock past 340~

Its broken. I'll buy it for 20 bucks if you want.

Add another zero and it's yours :p
 
That board has some serious vdrop/vdroop. I have a q6600 @ 3.6Ghz on one right now. My bios voltage is set to ~1.51 which translates to 1.454 @ idle and 1.408-1.424 under load (Prime95). Anything lower than that is a bust.
 
+1 what spinejam said about Vdroop, I had that board.

Vdrop was usually -0.036 with a dualcore and -0.054 V with a quad.
For instance a q6600 needed 1.38 V at 9x333 MHz and 2.4 memory multiplier and relaxed timings (5-5-5-18). The board isn't picky about RAM, but it "likes" the more simple and value oriented modules, nothing fancy OCZ and high-voltage low-latency stuff.
Don't forget about the Performance Enhance setting, you should set it to Standard when going above 333 MHz FSB and increase the Static tRead Value (tRD) a little bit (I was lucky to run it at 7), tRFC should be set to 42.

What people should know about using this mobo paired with a C2Q and exaggerated Vcore: it has a poor processor voltage regulator circuitry, it can burn out or it isn't delivering stable voltage.
 
Yes. Playing with voltages and timing doesn't seem to make a difference. Also tried running a 2.0x multi which worked fine, but I still can't push the clock past 340~



Add another zero and it's yours :p

:D:D:D
 
Last night I did some reading and it seems that there's a known Pencil-mod for this board that can reduce vdrop. I need to check to see if I have the right board revision and find my multimeter.


But, I may not because it looks like I'm picking up an i5 750 system, so this may processor/mobo may go to my mom and stay at stock clocks again :D She could use the upgrade from the pitiful Pentium D that she currently has.
 
Back
Top