Q6600 or Q8200

InsanePerson

Limp Gawd
Getting ready to order parts for my system. I was pretty much set on getting a Q6600 but then I noticed the Q8200, which is slightly slower clock speed, but a faster FSB, and newegg's got it for like $4 more

I am getting this motherboard, GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

I do not "plan" on overclocking, which I've heard the Q6600 does really well even on stock cooling. If I wanted to OC, how well does the Q8200 do?
Does the faster FSB on the Q8200 mean I would need to look at getting different memory?
Currently I'm looking at OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066

if your not going to OC to the max, go with the Q8200. Stock it is a higher FSB, much quieter CPU.

If you are willing to OC you can hit the same FSB as the Q8200 without breaking a sweat and be running a much higher clock. Also the Q6600 has more cache (double) the q8200.

Then if you are really up for the OC you can hit 3.5-3.8 with a nice air cooler with a nice 1600fsb and spank that q8200.

Ok, so going off my own topic here, but is the memory that I am looking at ok for the Q6600 overclock?
Can you suggest a good cooler (not water cooling) for overclocking the Q6600?

You'll never be able to hit stock speeds at 1:1 with that memory and a Q6600 (unless you drop the multi, which is sorta pointless). It's a fine choice.

Dropiing the multiplier to get a higher bus speed is not pointless. If you really want to make the Q6600 shine, get a board that can do 500Mhz+ bus speed, drop the multiplier to 7x and get a lot higher RAM throughput with the DDR2-1066 RAM.

I would go with the Q6600 due to the lower stock FSB, higher stock multipler, and higher amout of cache.

I just bought that board and put my Q6600 on it. 3.2 with 8GB RAM and 1600 fsb. And it was easy. I'm sure someone that cared could easily go higher.

IMO you should get one of several fine coolers:

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + decent fan
Xigmatek S1283 + decent fan (scythe can be had for ~$8)
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer (comes with pretty nice fan)
etc (many other good options, these are probably the best price/high performance that I can pull off the top of my head)

Then with that ram you are ordering match it up with a G0 revision Q6600
Go into bios, set multi to 9, FSB to 400, Ram to 1066 (1:1), DDR2 voltage to whatever that ram specifies, and Vcore to 1.35 to start. You may have to go a little higher on Vcore depending on the chip/VID.

This puts you at a beautiful 1600mhz FSB, 1:1 1066 ram, and 3.6ghz on the q6600.

With the coolers listed above you will average an idle temp between 35-45c depending on your ambient temps and case cooling. Orthos/Prime load can vary depending on the flatness of the chip/heatsink you happen to get and once again ambient temps and case cooling but will be somewhere in the 55-70c range which is perfectly healthy and acceptable for a quad core 65nm. The average game won't even push 55c.

Back