• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 or e8400

civictyper16

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
189
Hey guy's I need advice want to upgrade my proc.Currently I have a evga 680i, e4300 watercooled to 3ghz,4gb of ram and a evga 8800gt. I'm going to be over clocking but unsure if I should go quad or better off with the 45nm dual core? I'm currently running xp and want to upgrade to 7.
 
What about the Q9550, but between those two I'd probably fo with the E8400 if you're going to be purely gaming.
 
I was checking evga website and that processor isn't compatible with my mobo.I got shafted as when I purchased this system it was suppose to be future proof so I can upgrade to the latest quad cores -____-. On my spare time I do game and use 3ds max so I want a cpu that could cut down the rendering time.
 
I would usually recommend the Q6600 over the E8400, but with a 680i you will probably get a terrible overclock with a Q6600. The Q6600 has a low stock speed so you really need a good overclocking motherboard to make the chip come alive. The E8400 has a 600Mhz clockspeed advantage on the Q6600 at stock on top of 45nm advancements. It tends to overclock easier on many motherboards as well.
 
Being that I'm on water what would be the highest overclock I could get on the e8400. I was thinking I would be able to hit 3.4-3.6 on the q6600. I'm not looking into anything that is future proof as I plan to upgrade a year from now. Want something that I can game on highest settings and boost my overall performance of my pc especially rendering time on 3d software.
 
I've had both CPUs and like them both. I'd say whatever is less expensive and roll with that. In games, the Q6600 will perform the sale as the E8400 anyway. The E8400 may overclock better because of a newer architecture and high stock clock... Pretty much what everyone else already said :)
 
E8400 approx $165

January 2010
32nm Pentium G6950 2.8GHz 3MB-cache/2core/2thread $87 (I think will be higher during initial launch)
Motherboard H55 $110+ est. (edited this because H55 should work with 32nm. seen on vendor pricelist)
DDR3 RAM - $X
seen on the web overclocking over 4GHz

I do not claim one will be better than the other. However, it is very close to new year. Do you want to consider taking a look at the 32nm offering before making judgement?
 
Last edited:
I chose quad core over dual core because in most games, even if the e8400 has a slightly better frame rate, it was not enough to impact my enjoyment. At 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 I am more GPU bound than CPU anyway.

Also, Supreme Commander scales very well with four cores, and the load times for rendering on FSX are much better. So I decided on the q6600 for an "all-around" chip. I OC mine to 3.2 and I am happy in all of my games.
 
OOh... 680i and wolfdale/penryn, don't play nice with each other. Though I'm usually all for 45nm over 65nm. I'd hit up the q6600 if it were my upgrade.
 
Buy a second-hand P45, sell the 680i, get the Q6600 or Q9550. Get rid of that Nforce chip while you still can. It might be another $20 or so out of pocket to get rid of that board, and that is totally worthwhile.
 
If you're at 3 Ghz already I would really just hold off for i5 or i7.


I would go a Q6600 if this was 2 years ago, but I'm bias. If you have a better chipset I'd say get a Q9xxx series.

Really, you're fine. Just hold off or go AMD Phenom. But you'd just be doing a sideways upgrade. For all your options other than i5 or i7 and it's not that huge of a leap.
 
Back
Top