q6600 ocing help!

noinimod

n00b
I'm using a gigabyte p35 ds3p. I've read through most of the guides around, have my fsb and mch volts set to +0.2, trying for 4x800, which i've read, is hardly a problem for most q6600s. Anyway, i bumped the vcore to 3.0625 just for added stability.

I primed the rig two days ago and i failed prime95 miserably; i woke up to find windows restarted. This was when my fsb and mch hadn't been bumped.

So i bumped up the fsb and mch yesterday night and this morning, after around 9 hrs of prime, i get a weird problem: 3 out of the 4 worker threads are fine and still running, one experienced an error 3 hours into the test..

Any idea what's going on? My temps are fine btw, i'm on a xigmatek s1283

wow.. what the hell vcore 3.06? check your numbers again.. your cpu should of exploded at 3.06v going to it..

i am assuming the 3.06 vcore is a typo. And it basically means you have a weak core, thats all it comes down to. Most q6600 can do 3.4 between 1.2 and 1.4

i am assuming the 3.06 vcore is a typo. And it basically means you have a weak core, thats all it comes down to. Most q6600 can do 3.4 between 1.2 and 1.4

lol i know.. but i wanted to see if he actually did it.. :p

only other thing id say to check is the memory to see if thats actually whats causing the overclock to fail.. but if only 1 core failed id probably take a bet that its the voltage.. at 3 hours in and only 1 core failed id say your pretty close to what you need to be stable..

oh damn, yea. I had no idea what i was saying.. LOL i meant 1.3625. My bad.

Hmm i'm running my ddr2 800 sticks @ 1:1 so it can't be that.

Hmm. What is your VID? My Q6600 is running prime stable @ 3.2GHz (1.3625 vcore) at 8x400. (VID of 1.325)

Maybe it needs some more juice?

Could be memory voltage as well. Check the specs on your RAM and adjust the voltage accordingly. Also, when you're priming, after a couple hours, stick your finger on the NB heatsink and see how hot it is. If you can count to 10 without burning your finger then you're fine. If it's hot as fuck then you'll need a fan on that heatsink.

Also, these Gigabyte boards are notorious for bad vdroop. My DS3R gets almost .1v of vdroop at load with about .05v vdroop at idle. For my machine to run at 3.2Ghz I need to set my vcore to 1.41 in BIOS, MCH to +.2, FSB/PCIe both set to +.1 and DDR to +.4 (2.2v).

Food for thought.

To OP,

I finally just got my OC stable (primed) last night on my Gigabyte P35-DSL3 board w/ BIOS F9a.

I've got the following:
1.34Vcore
356x9 Multi (Effectively 3.2GHz)
FSB @ 2.5x so around 1,424GHz w/ 0.2+ DDR2 over voltage and 0.2+ FSB over voltage.
Memory timings on craptacular A-Data RAM: 5-5-4:14 (rated @ 5-5-5-18)

I was finding my OC to be limited by my Memory more so than my processor. I could get my chip up to 3.4 or higher, but my memory would crap out on me.

Even though, 3.2GHz for a Q6600 is good enough for me for what I do and once I get some better memory, will try and OC a little further.

Hope that helps.

Back