• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 OC Question/Cooling

CounTDookU23

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Messages
439
I just purchased a Q6600 and using the stock cooler. I noticed this thing runs freakin HOT!

I have all my voltages on my 750i FTW on auto except for the memory at 2.1 volts.
I am using the 1066 DDR2 Corsair kits (forget which product number, but they are the ones that came with the fan...... 2 x 2GBs)........ 3.4GHZ......... (my old dual core e6600 did 3.6 on stock cooler no problems 65C tops under stress testing)

I boot to windows and pass prime95 with no problems......... 6 hours + stress Test.
I noticed this mother is hitting 75C-80C stress testing all 4 cores. Man oh man. I have a LianLi server case..... I dont think ventilation in the case is a problem since the whole case is one big grated piece of metal (cept for the side panels)

So my question is ............ what is the best NON mumbo jumbo cooler I can purchase that will get me to about 60C total. I know prime is some serious stress testing....... will my system ever get pushed on all 4 cores like that?

Anyways...... im looking for a good cooler that doesnt require a backplate...... that i can just pop right onto the Cpu with no hassle. Anyone have any good recommendations?
 
yeah....i have same problem cept im using an artic freezer 7 pro..... i get 70C load and now idling at 47,47,42,44
 
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with retention bracket for ~$45 is what I would recommend, Thermalright 120 for ~$60 works well too... search around the forums

The Xigmatek comes with pushpins but it works much better (temps lower by a few degrees) with the backplate, not to mention much less of a PITA to install.
 
I have a Q6600 G0 that I use an ArcticCooloing FreezerPro 7 on.

Its clocked to 3.25 and runs about 50C under full load.:D
Running your board on "auto" voltage may be a problem...........if the board adjusts the voltage too high it would overheat for no good reason.

I'd go in the BIOS and manually set the VCore to 1.35V or even lower and see if you can sustain the same OC.
 
For cooling a q6600 the TRUE takes some beating, @3.6ghz with 2x sharkoon silent eagle 2000 fans my load temps are, 59-59-52-50. idles of 24-22-21-20, thats without getting the cpu and cooler lapped.
 
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with retention bracket for ~$45 is what I would recommend, Thermalright 120 for ~$60 works well too... search around the forums

The Xigmatek comes with pushpins but it works much better (temps lower by a few degrees) with the backplate, not to mention much less of a PITA to install.

+1 :D
 
I am using a Thermalright Ultra120 extreme and I really like how this style of cooler works.

The Xigmatek heatsink that has been recommended is a great buy for the amount of performance you get but I think you should get a cooler with a retention bracket that goes behind the motherboard.
I just don't trust such a top heavy cooler that uses push pins to secure itself.

It doesn't take that long to pull a motherboard out and install a backplate unless you are a cable neat freak and have to spend hours redoing your cables. :p
 
I am using a Thermalright Ultra120 extreme and I really like how this style of cooler works.

The Xigmatek heatsink that has been recommended is a great buy for the amount of performance you get but I think you should get a cooler with a retention bracket that goes behind the motherboard.
I just don't trust such a top heavy cooler that uses push pins to secure itself.

It doesn't take that long to pull a motherboard out and install a backplate unless you are a cable neat freak and have to spend hours redoing your cables. :p

Not sure you were saying this or not. But the Xigmatek can be mounted with a $7 retention clip.
 
Not sure you were saying this or not. But the Xigmatek can be mounted with a $7 retention clip.
Yeah I know that, I guess I should have said that if you get the Xigmatek you should also pay for the extra mounting bracket.
 
Back
Top