• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 IHS Removal

laserbeam

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
168
Hi,
I've just received a Q6600 from my local online retailer as part of my system upgrade. I've noticed that the IHS is scratched at the edges, maybe from their validation testing of the CPU.

Looking at the Cooler (Ultra-120 Extreme) that doesn't need lapping but the CPU IHS probably would benefit, unless perimeter of the IHS doesn't contact the CPU - I assume it does given the four cores?

Contemplating the lapping of the IHS then takes my mind onto completely removing the IHS as I've done with my last two Athlons. The question then arises, can the Intel IHS be removed as easily as on an AMD CPU? Is the Ulta-120 cooler relatvely friendly to an exposed core given it's size? I had not problems with the XP-120 but it's bigger and I don't know how robust an Intel Core is vs an AMD core.

All insights warmly received.


Thx
D
 
pretty sure that you can't do it, I know there is a whole thread on extremesystems where I think someone has, but everyone else has failed.
 
it is nigh impossible to de-IHS a Core 2 chip as they are soldered on. just lap it
 
It CAN be done, but it involves 4 razor blades all around to create pressure on the IHS, along with you lightly blow torching the IHS enough to melt the sodder, but not enough to fry the chips.
 
how much performance or headroom is there to be gained this way though? I would imagine that because it is two separate cores it is probably less flat without the IHS, no?

on a side note, how can those kids afford a qx to experiment with like that lol.
 
how much performance or headroom is there to be gained this way though? I would imagine that because it is two separate cores it is probably less flat without the IHS, no?

on a side note, how can those kids afford a qx to experiment with like that lol.

You would probably see a fair difference with air or water cooling. But you would only want to do this with high end phase change, I mean how many quad core chips do you want to fuck up before you get it right, because im sure as hell that your going to kill a few, and for the people that want to do this to their chips, their probably golden, hand picked ES QX9770s or something.
 
Back
Top