• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 HSF recomendations

RamonGTP

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
8,149
I'm currently running a Zalman CNPS9500 and it's simply not adequate enough for my Q6600 @ 3.2GHz. My load temps while running Prime are well into the mid 70C range. I've done quite a bit of reading, but I think I'm sufferring from information overload as well as being confused by some conflicting information. I'm debating between three different coolers now, but certainly not limiting myself to these three.

AC Freezer 7 Pro
Tuniq Tower
TRUE

I know the AC isn't nearly as good as the TT or TRUE, but it's significnatly cheaper, and more importantly, I KNOW it will fit my case. My main concern with the AC 7 is I'm not sure how much better it would be over my current 9500

The TT is the one I'm favoring ATM. It's suppose to cool nearly as well as the TRUE, but at a lower cost and includes a fan.

The TRUE speaks for itself I suppose, only drawback is the price, and size might be a concern.

So help me out, which one of these three would you go with, or would you opt for something else all together?

Thanks.
 
well obviously the TRUE is the heatsink of choice if the cost doesnt matter... but for the people on a budget they usually go for the 120mm Xigmatek which is almost just as good. theres also the ocz vendetta 2 which cost a bit more than the Xigmatek but does a good job too.
 
So between the Tuniq Tower, Vendetta2 and the Xigmatek, which is the best?
 
the vendetta 2 and xigmatek perform almost the same... i think the vendetta looks better but its a bit more expensive, just get whatever you're comfortable spending :D

and if you get the xigmatek you might wanna order the retention bracket backplate too as some people have said the push-pins are quite forceful on it fixing to the motherboard and prefer to screw the heatsink down rather than rely on the plastic pins.
 
lol... by .5 of a degree centigrade:D

they're both good just get whichever one you like the look / cost of best.
 
That's guys, it looks like both the Vendetta2 and the Xigmatek use the plastic push pins. Is there a retention bracket available for the Vendetta2? And where can I find the bracket for the Xigmatek if I chose to go with that one?
 
What is the general opinion regarding the TITAN Amanda, which I am still using?
 
Go for the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme HSF. Excellent cooling capabilities.
 
I picked up the Tuniq Tower because it comes with the brackets and stuff to bolt through the motherboard.. when I was looking at the TRUE, you had to buy it extra... but then some people said you could email someone and get it for free, but I never got an email back, so I just ended up getting the Tuniq.


edit: disregard this post... Other than the fact I have tuniq tower.
 
I picked up the Tuniq Tower because it comes with the brackets and stuff to bolt through the motherboard.. when I was looking at the TRUE, you had to buy it extra... but then some people said you could email someone and get it for free, but I never got an email back, so I just ended up getting the Tuniq.


bolt through kits come with the TRUE in the box... you're confused with the Xigmatek, some people were getting the kits for free if they bought the heatsink before a certain time.
 
bolt through kits come with the TRUE in the box... you're confused with the Xigmatek, some people were getting the kits for free if they bought the heatsink before a certain time.

Yeah you're right.
 
I still haven't seen anybody get a Q6600 higher on air with a TRUE than I have on my Thermaltake Big Typhoon.. an my fan is just one from a Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX.
 
i have this GO q6600 that goes 3.4ghz on 1.272 on on prime95 ..how high do u think i can go in terms of overclocking..i have a sunbeam core contact freezer on it..this seems to be the my limit with the SCCF while staying in the safe zone..25c away from tjmax realtemp prime 95 load..
 
Just wanted to update this thread. I went with the OCZ Vendetta2 and my temps have dropped by about 8C over my CNPS9500. It'll probably be closer to 10 degrees once the AS5 cures. Installation wasn't very difficult. Not the easiest, but not as hard as some of the reviews at newegg made it seem. I did not have any clearance issues in my case, though I do have a spot for an optional side panel fan, if I had one installed, I would have had to remove it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
 
Back
Top