• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

q6600 HSF/Overclocking Questions

KillaChaos

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 25, 2008
Messages
351
I heard the stock HSF on the q6600 is horrible for the it and an aftermarket cooler should be used. But what is the highest anyone has gotten on the q6600 with the stock. I plan to use an old cooler which keeps my P4 630 at around 47C Idle, then buying another cooler in about a month when I have the money. Also what are the temps for the q66 on the stock cooler if anyone has those.
 
you wont get high at all... my temps with an arctic freezer pro 7 are above 40 at idle and load while i am playing call of duty 4 at 67c... thats at 3.0ghz with very mild voltage increase.
 
I ran mine at 3GHz with the stock HSF and it would run mid 60s at load, so I would not go any higher then that.
 
9x333 might be the best you can expect from most C2D on stock cooler. Probably higher for 45nm, but...
 
I have seen quite a few people able to run 3 ghz or more on the Q6600 on the stock cooler. A few run kinda warm at stock speed and voltage. It seems kinda hit or miss.

You should be OK running for a while and doing some clocking until you can afford a better cooler. Just monitor your temps and don't get too crazy. :p

I am running @ 3.2 on 1.4V with a Thermaltake MaxOrb. I ran it as high as 3.4 @ 1.5 volts, but I run a little slower for daily driving. I could prolly do a little better with one of the tower coolers and a 120mm fan, but I did not feel like mail ordering a cooler when I bought all the rest of the parts locally. It works better than stock, and it is very quiet.

Don
 
I was able to hit 3GHz but was not comfortable with the temps I was seeing. Using a Zalman 9500 now at 3.1GHz and temps are good.
 
With a stock cooler you should be able to get anywhere from 2.7-3.0ghz with stock voltages and ok temps. I am using a zalman9700 and I am running @ 3.6ghz with good temps.
 
Stock cooled Q6600 @ 3Ghz, stock voltage. No issues. Mid 60's running Prime95. From what I gather, I have a really good stock cooler..lol
 
Call me a retard, but if he's running 3 GHz at "stock voltage" then the temps will be the same regardless of his clock speed. Push as high as you can on stock v, the temps won't change.

9x266 (Stock clock) on VID (stock voltage).
Same temp results as
9x333 on VID (Stock voltage).

:eek:
 
I ran my B3 Q6600 at 3Ghz using the stock heatsink for a while, but Prime95 temps were as high as 85C. Still, it was stable.

It's worth noting that the stock Q6600 heatsink was reasonably beefy as far as stock heatsinks go. I compared it to other Stock P4 and C2D heatsinks and it was slightly larger with a more powerful fan.
 
Heh, GotNoRice, that probably won't be stable for long if you keep running it that high.
 
Heh, GotNoRice, that probably won't be stable for long if you keep running it that high.

No, even 85C is still 15C below the TjMax for the chip. Your assuming that instability would occur before throttling would occur, which is almost always not the case. Generally the only situations where unusually low temperatures are required to maintain stability are when you are really pushing the limits of the chip in terms of voltage.

And obviously, I didn't run Prime95 constantly the entire time I was using the stock heatsink either; I've long since upgraded to a Tuniq-Tower 120.
 
criccio, are the 60's under load or on idle? How long did you run prime95 for?

Under load. The max temp I saw after an hour was 67. Im perfectly happy with the speed increase, and feel no need to push it anymore. But im sure that will change when I get my TRUE....:D
 
No, even 85C is still 15C below the TjMax for the chip. Your assuming that instability would occur before throttling would occur, which is almost always not the case. Generally the only situations where unusually low temperatures are required to maintain stability are when you are really pushing the limits of the chip in terms of voltage.

True -- I thought high temperatures degraded the lifespan of the chip though.
 
well i just wanted to give an update... tonight i snagged some basic thermal compound from my brother(i didnt have any) it was some coolermaster stuff left over from a past build. anyways, i applied it and booted the computer up. to my surprise, immediately there was a HUGE drop in temps... it idled at only 31c on the HOTTEST core. very impressive, as it had been idling at 46. the 2 cool cores are idling at 23 and 25c, just amazing. loaded down with prime 95 max stress, the max temps are only 54c on the hottest core and 49c on the coolest core.

the voltage is at 1.28 actual volts, 1.31 in bios. this is clocked at 3.2ghz, again with the arctic freezer pro 7... i did lap the bottom of the AF7 though, but only with 800 grit max.
 
Doubt it was the paste, you probably didn't have the cooler properly fixed the first time.
 
Doubt it was the paste, you probably didn't have the cooler properly fixed the first time.

could be, but i double checked the bastard and it was tight. i would not rule it out though. either way, im super happy with the temps.

going strong at 420x8 right now with only 1 notch voltage increase.(.125v)


damn, this chip rocks... its chugging along now at 3.5ghz still on the same voltage.
 
Call me a retard, but if he's running 3 GHz at "stock voltage" then the temps will be the same regardless of his clock speed. Push as high as you can on stock v, the temps won't change.

9x266 (Stock clock) on VID (stock voltage).
Same temp results as
9x333 on VID (Stock voltage).

:eek:

eh.... do you really want me to call you a retard?
 
Back
Top