• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 Heatsink

rampantandroid

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,962
If a thread exists that covers this, please link - I didn't find one.

I'm looking to replace my Thermaltake V1 heatsink on my Q6600...it doesn't seem sufficient (under load, I get distance to Tj Max dropping to 40C - if that's normal at stock speeds, let me know!)

I don't mind noise, but don't want an excess of noise. With that in mind, would you guys recommend a Ultra-120 Extreme or a Scythe Ninja? How are these for weight, will they risk cracking the motherboard? (another thing I HATE about the V1 is its plastic mounting.)

I know the Ultra-120 does better at higher speeds, but how much higher? Would a low noise/decent CFM 12cm fan do OK?

Also, since I have an Antec 900, would it be possible to get one of those fan shrouds to connect the 120mm exhaust fan to the heatsink to improve cooling (push/pull setup?)

Thanks.
 
The ninja is old and weak. If you were to get anything and you wanted it to be cheap then I'd say the Xigmatek S1283 is the best. If you do not have any objections to price then get a TRUE.
 
The ninja is old and weak. If you were to get anything and you wanted it to be cheap then I'd say the Xigmatek S1283 is the best. If you do not have any objections to price then get a TRUE.

Why would I want a TRUE? Its the same as the Ultra-120 extreme, save an extra set of mounting wires and the black finish for quite a bit extra. Am I missing something?
 
Why would I want a TRUE? Its the same as the Ultra-120 extreme, save an extra set of mounting wires and the black finish for quite a bit extra. Am I missing something?

Doesn't necessarily mean the black version. People have always called it TRUE.
 
I will also suggest the S1283 for the price/performance ratio. If you have an extra ~30 dollars and the desire for the best, the TRUE is the one.

The shroud may work, but if you have an exhaust fan in line with the heatsink, I don't feel that it's necessary. A push/pull configuration can net you a few more degrees.

I have an S1283 with the P/P configuration and it dropped my temps about 3-5 degrees from just the OEM fan. I don't know about a shroud, but having a fan on the front panel pushing cool air directly to the heatsink makes a good difference.
 
Is the Ultra-120 worth lapping (I've never lapped before....) - how hard is lapping (I know how it works)? Would I also need to lap my CPU?
 
Is the Ultra-120 worth lapping (I've never lapped before....) - how hard is lapping (I know how it works)? Would I also need to lap my CPU?

Ultra 120 extreme, pre-lapped option. I bought one pre-lapped with the 58472-Q Scythe SFLEX SFF21F. To the door for $100. I have to tell ya, very cool running with my q9450@3500Mhz. No, you don't HAVE to lap the cpu too. This is uncommon. Lapping the heatsink gives it a smooth surface to mount, likewise for the cpu. The smoother the surfaces of the heatsink and cpu - the better the contact and heat dissipation to the heatsink.

40 degrees C at idle, 60 C under full load Prime 95 4 core test. You should use realtemp for your temperature readings.

http://www.crazypc.com/store/mercha...t_Code=ultra-120_extreme-50983&Category_Code=
 
Ultra 120 extreme, pre-lapped option. I bought one pre-lapped with the 58472-Q Scythe SFLEX SFF21F. To the door for $100. I have to tell ya, very cool running with my q9450@3500Mhz. No, you don't HAVE to lap the cpu too. This is uncommon. Lapping the heatsink gives it a smooth surface to mount, likewise for the cpu. The smoother the surfaces of the heatsink and cpu - the better the contact and heat dissipation to the heatsink.

40 degrees C at idle, 60 C under full load Prime 95 4 core test. You should use realtemp for your temperature readings.

http://www.crazypc.com/store/mercha...t_Code=ultra-120_extreme-50983&Category_Code=

I've seen people say Thermalright purposefully made the heatsink have a high point in the middle to account for the CPU lid being concave, and lapping it can be detrimental, is there anything to this?

Also, I'm assuming that the TRUE will be compat. with the new LGA1360 heatsinks (Nehalem) - any news on this (aside from perhaps needing a new mounting hardware set from Thermalright, sorta like what they sell for use with Socket 939)?

I don't want to go and spend a bit of money and find out it has no life beyond my current CPU.

Thanks.
 
I'd go for the Xigmatech HDT-1283 then. These are not going to be compatible with Nehalem sockets.
 
I don't think any current 775 cooler will be compatible with the upcoming CPU's new sockets.

Either way, grab a Xig HDT-1283 like samsonJS said. Cheap and effective.
 
+1 for the S1283, it runs my QX6850 @ 33-35C idle, and about 60 at the highest when running Linpack.

Plus with the retention bracket, it's easy to install.
 
I'd go for the Xigmatech HDT-1283 then. These are not going to be compatible with Nehalem sockets.

Why not? Is the overall CPU growing in size (I doubt that...) - the only differences may be in mounting setup, right? And, if so, then all Thermalright needs to do is release a new mounting bracket and backplate which you can buy to make your TRUE work for LGA1360.

I'm not spending any money on a heatsink right now unless I know it will work going forward. I'm not dumping my Q6600 the second Nehalem appears, but I hope to grab a new proc in the window of 6 months, and thus want to make a good investment here.
 
The LGA 1366 socket is not square but slightly rectangular. It is indeed growing in size. If your HS's contact area is large enough you may just need a new mounting kit but it's not something I would count on because the mounting holes have moved.

Don't believe me though, I'm only regurgitating what I've read elsewhere.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=nehalem+socket+1366+heatsink+775 (not the best query but seems to get a few relevant hits)
 
Then my Thermaltake V1 will suffice until the TRUE gets a rev for LGA1360, or something else comes out.

And now that you mention it, I DID read that the CPU was becoming slightly rectangular...but I forgot about that.

Thanks again.
 
The socket would have to become slightly bigger, or intel would have to shrink the size of the contacts on the bottom of the chip. It's easier to make a slightly bigger chip than to make those contacts any smaller, IMO.
 
The socket would have to become slightly bigger, or intel would have to shrink the size of the contacts on the bottom of the chip. It's easier to make a slightly bigger chip than to make those contacts any smaller, IMO.

I imagine that like socket 939, the CPU will be solid pins...current LGA775s have the area in the center with capacitorsthat has no pins. If you put pins there, you can gain pincount without growing in size.
 
Same here. I have a q6600 with the Xig HDT-1283 and it is a great cooler.

Make sure you get the optional mounting plate and hardware cause the push-pin style mounts are a pain in the ass to install.
 
I imagine that like socket 939, the CPU will be solid pins...current LGA775s have the area in the center with capacitorsthat has no pins. If you put pins there, you can gain pincount without growing in size.

LGA1366 CPUs have a space in the center with surface-mounted components similar to current Intel CPUs.
 
Back
Top