• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 GO vs. BX

coolguy2k

Gawd
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
578
First off, are those the different versions of this processor? - just making sure I'm starting off from the right point.

Second, if I run across a retail version of the B3 version for say $50 cheaper what's going to be worse about that than the Go version? From what I can gather it has to do with the stepping allowing all you crazy OCers to get this thing cooking, but dunno exactly.

Third, (slightly off topic) is there a definitive guide or list I can look at for pairing this processor to a mobo - cuz I b in need of new computer (although i'm sure i could go with consensus builds from everyone's sig, but...)

Edit: to fix to correct B3
 
It's actually G0 and B3. G0 is the newer revision which is lower power (95W TDP versus 105W), so it runs a little cooler and is correspondingly expected to overclock a little better. If the B3 was much cheaper then it might be worth getting, but I would be surprised to see a significant price difference. I wanted to make sure I got a G0, so I bought one from a place that guaranteed that revision.

The most fundamental thing about matching a CPU to a motherboard is that they must use the same socket; nearly all current Intel CPUs and compatible motherboards are LGA775. Then look at the chipset - you probably want either P35 or X38, with P35 being better value unless you want CrossFire (two AMD/ATI graphics cards). If you want to use SLI (two Nvidia graphics cards) then you probably want the 780i, but don't get one for any other reason as Intel chipsets are preferred.
 
Yea, while G0 stepping is nice. I've found out no matter what stepping it is they all overclock about the same either way. Other then the tiny bit of lower wattage use that is all you're getting. As i had a B2 E6600 that clocked a slight bit better then my E6750 G0 steping on stock volts.

But that is always the luck of the draw when buying cpu's, but if you're going to buy a new one and you can find a "G0" stepping get it as it is newer.

Good Day
 
I would have thought you should be able to find a G0 at Microcenter. If they only have B3s in stock then it's a sufficiently good price that I'd be inclined to buy one, but not before checking through what they had thoroughly for any G0s.
 
G0 is a little bit better than B3 but the real stuff will be the new 45nm Penryn.
 
I was looking at the q6600s at my microcenter yesterday and all were g0s. Just look for serials ending in SLACR.
 
If you are not interested in clocking, then the B3 will work just fine for you. Otherwise, go for a G0 CPU.

I am running a G0 at 3.2 GHZ with a Thermaltake Maxorb. I have some room to go higher, but needed to leave some room for the spring temp increase in my house.

Don
 
Back
Top