Q6600 -G0 summer temps?

Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
19
I'm a little bit worried about my summer temps.
Current room temperature is 85F or 29c. Not hot enough for air conditioning but it can get to 115F or 46c any day now.
Currently while Idle I get 45c, 47c, 38c, 39c. Under Prime95 25.6 load, 71c, 71c, 66c, 63c.

For cooling, I have a Thermaltake Armor+ with two Antec Tricool Fans (taken out of my 900) pulling in air from the bottom of the case, another Tricool pulling in air from the front of the case, but this air is warmed up by the 3 hard drives behind it.
myworkstation.jpg

Attached to the back of the harddrive case i have the stock Thermaltake 140mm Blue LED fan which doesn't feel like its blowing much air. There is a 23cm fan attached to the window blowing in air. I have the stock Thermaltake 120mm Turbofan attached to top of the case sucking air out and I have a Scythe 120cm 110CFM fan blowing air out next to the I/O shield.

All fans are set to high, I believe the 3 antecs pull in about 79CFM each on high. I don't know about the Thermaltakes. I do have 3 more Scythe 120mm 110cfm available but don't wanna use them becuase they don't have the cool blue leds.

Also my power supply pulls air directly from outside of the case and expels it outside of the case and in the front of the computer 5 drive bays are not in use and allow air through the dust filters.

I am using a Zalman 9700LEDw. artic silver 5 on a Q6600 o/c'd to 3.4ghz. On an Asus P5E, FSB at 375mhz and 4gb AxeRam memory at 1200mhz cooled by an OCZ XTC memory cooler. MB temp sensor shows 36c, this board doesn't give temps for southbridge or northbridge. Also in the system is an MSI 8800gt with the zalman heatsink GPU temps is 41c and PCB temp is 38.

Are these temperatures safe considering the room temp? And I read somewhere that you don't want your CPU temps to get to 70c at all and your motherboard temps to 45c. While playing games mobo temps get to 45c and core temps are up to 60s.

Thanks guys.
 
those are decent temps for being 85F in you room, though you may want to keep the load temps under 70C for some headroom. once you turn on the ac, I am sure you are cooling down the room to less than 85F anyway.
 
I'm going to have very similar room temps, but will not have ac unfortunately. It was very hot a couple weeks ago and my idle temps were ridiculous..., 45-47-44-44. When I loaded prime small ftt's, they went up to 68c.

I think we'll be fine though. We won't be priming during the whole summer, and nothing will really use our cores as much as prime does.
 
I know the feeling man, I'm sitting here in my boxers, still sweating my ass off.
If Prime95 pushes you to ~70C, then most other apps (dual especially) won't even pass 60C, which means you'er safe. I have similar temps as you, both idle/load, and I'm not concerned about it at all. Prime95 quickly pushes to about 73C for me, but I've CoreTemp logged for about 3 days straight and I've never seen more than 58C under normal use, regardless of what I was doing. Only stressful task I haven't done is encode video.

What does concern me is all of that heat spewing out of my case, right into my bedroom.
So hot....
:(
 
I'm a little bit worried about my summer temps.
Current room temperature is 85F or 29c. Not hot enough for air conditioning but it can get to 115F or 46c any day now.

Wow. I must be spoiled. If my room gets to 78 I get uncomfortable and start sweating, and go running for the AC. I hope it's dry out where you're at, cuz here in GA it's so stinking muggy you can hardly stand anything about 80.
 
Dry as hell, I live very near Six Flags Magic Mountain, CA, its never humid here... But it will get hot as hell.
 
Are those two 120mm fans at the... bottom of your case?
wtf is going on there, eh?
 
Are those two 120mm fans at the... bottom of your case?
wtf is going on there, eh?

Thermaltake designed this case so that the bottom of the case is actually like 1 inch off the ground. There is a channel underneath the case. So basically the colder air is closest to the floor so by placing two intake fans cold air rises through the case keeping my gpu cool.

I think.
 
Guaranteed to suck any dust from near your case up into the interior... :rolleyes: I hope they have filters.
 
the other day it hit 85 in my room, and my idle was at 42c. So as long as its under 50c on idle ill have my machine running. Once idles over 50c its turn off time.
 
wow i wouldn't be able to stand 85F, im spoiled by AC, if it gets 78 inside i run for the AC as well.... we usually keep it in the 74-75 zone....
 
"hot as hell" is such a hilarious term, and believe me, I know what Hell on Earth is, I worked there for 5 years. :)

www.furnacecreekresort.com

Ah, those were fun times, when daytime temps in the summer were well in excess of 125F, when nighttime temps were rarely below 110-115F, and the AC in my housing never went off. :p

I wonder if I was still living there (I live in Vegas now, it's hot here but the smog is what really ruins in; in Death Valley it's clean air, no smog, no pollution, etc) what kind of issues I'd be having with today's high powered boxen. I've got a Q6600 finally, running stock but easily capable of 3 GHz (done testing since I got it), and it's idling at roughly 35-40C depending on room temp, load can reach 60-65 (crappy stock Intel HSF till I can get something better, probably one of those Arctic Freezer models that people rave about).

So whenever people say "hot as hell" I just have to laugh because there is a very small percentage of people alive today that actually know what that means based on actual temps (people living in Phoenix, AZ, think 115 is hot, maybe 120... that's springtime stuff in Death Valley hehe)...

The temps above all look fine, and I'd agree with the recommendation for RealTemp at this point. I really do like that application, and I applaud UncleWebb for creating it.
 
I have the same case and cpu. Curious though, did you install a fan at the top as well? Was kind of perplexed why the armor+ didn't come with one as the xaser vi does and it's pretty much the same case.

Since hot air rises, it should help with exhausting the heat out.
 
Yeah Death Valley gets hot, but its in the middle of nowhere... lol I live 20-30 minutes North of Hollywood, and its pretty hot here, so its a relative hell compared to the LA Basin.
 
I have the same case and cpu. Curious though, did you install a fan at the top as well? Was kind of perplexed why the armor+ didn't come with one as the xaser vi does and it's pretty much the same case.

Since hot air rises, it should help with exhausting the heat out.

I put the fan that came stock in the rer, on the top. the one with the red blades. Its weak as hell so im gonna put a ultra kaze there.
 
You have a buttload of fans. Try negative pressure instead of neutral pressure. Or you can remove the side panel during the summer to dissipate heat quicker.
 
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I removed the two fans from the bottom as they didnt seem to get as much air inside the case as i expected them to. I used the harddrive fan cages from my antec 900 and now i have 3 intake fans plus the side fan and two exhaust fans, more air seems to come out of the exhaust which is a good thing! It was 101 degrees yesterday and with the ac on temps were really stable even though i think i played CSS for like 3 hours and then some BF2.
 
Back
Top