q6600/evga just died...what to upgrade to? 2600k?

v6maro

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so my EVGA mobo finally 100% crapped out...time to upgrade. I like the 2600k. What mobo/mem combo is good for this cpu?

I'm trying to stick around 200 for the mobo...but this one looks nice. I've been out of the 'scene' for a while, what's an 8 core bulldozer??

I'm trying to stick around 200 for the mobo...but this one looks nice. I've been out of the 'scene' for a while, what's an 8 core bulldozer??

AMD's new cpu thats coming out in the fall. not much is really known about it atm. rumers speculations is all we really have to go on.

imo id just get the 2600k now, chances are it will be equal or better than bulldozer unless a program can actually take advantage of all the 8 cores on bulldozer which in the gaming world is nothing until BF3 which is supposed to have support for 2-8 threads but how much support remains to be seen.

2600k now is a safe bet imo

AMD's new cpu thats coming out in the fall. not much is really known about it atm. rumers speculations is all we really have to go on.

imo id just get the 2600k now, chances are it will be equal or better than bulldozer unless a program can actually take advantage of all the 8 cores on bulldozer which in the gaming world is nothing until BF3 which is supposed to have support for 2-8 threads but how much support remains to be seen.

2600k now is a safe bet imo

The only reason I want to re-build besides it dying...is BF3...lol.

The only reason I want to re-build besides it dying...is BF3...lol.

same here (other than the mb dying bit) which is why i think im going bulldozer but the wait is brutal i have an upgrade bug that itches pretty bad. my Q6600 is screaming to be replaced i just need to hold out for about 2 more months lol or get a 2600k and pump it to 5ghz and be smiling at my first 5ghz cpu... i wish i had the money to get both lol.

The 2600k will do 8 threads anyway won't it? I can't imagine any game coming out anytime soon that will max 8 cores/threads. I think to do so would make sure that those of us with 2 and 4 cores would have to dumb the whole thing down to a level of enjoyment that I could find by sticking my wiener in a meat grinder.

If I had money to buy now, I would go 2600k and the ASUS Sabertooth mobo. You can get the combo right now @ the egg for $500, and I'm sure you'll be quite happy running @ 4.5-5ghz even after BD comes out.

DICE is working on the Frostbite 2 engine at the moment that will support DirectX 10.1 and DirectX 11 as well. DICE is very proud of the parallelized engine since 2-8 parallel threads are supported for using full capacity of a Core i7 e.g..

so i think that might give bulldozer the advantage in BF3 since 8 cores "should" be better than 4core/8 threads.

now what impact its going to have on performance and what settings will take advantage of the 8 threads of the engine remains to be seen like i said before. but as good as BF3 looks i want as much horsepower as i can get to run that game.

BFBC2 runs like ass on my current system, Q6600 @ 3.2ghz and a single 1gb 6870 since crossfire is broken for me in mp it doesnt use my second 6870 and actually give me less fps when CF is enabled. which makes me wonder just how much power is going ot be needed to run BF3 with an FPS im happy with. which is a constant 90+

2600K, ASUS mobo within budget, cheap ram, solid PSU, 6950 or a GTX 570 and you are set.

do you have a price cap?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263

gets my vote its rather feature rich.

im still torn between that board and a 2600k

or getting an 8 core bulldozer

That board is way overkill. 99.99% of gamers will never use 3x xfire or 3x SLI.
There's many <$200 boards with 2 pci-e slots that are good overclockers.

Damn.. That is a good deal! 16GB of ram & mobo with a $50 discount?!

ok guys, decision time...That packaged deal of 16gb ram and mobo is really a good deal, I am still deciding tho...

MOBO:
P8P67
or
GA-Z68X-UD3-B3

Will both boards do 1x16x and 2x8x? I will go SLI later, but I want that option now.

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
(same as package posted in above post)

Does ram speed matter much for OC'ing? I'd like to OC the 2600K.

CPU:

COOLER:
H50
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Cooling-High-performance-Cooler-CWCH50-1/dp/B002QG2H7K/ref=lh_ni_t
or
should I look at a different model?? This one on newegg is rated very high but sold out, so amazon gets my money.

What do you guys think??

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The two configurations/prices: Which would you get? Price on either of them are ok with me.

P8P67 Deluxe (rev 3)
H50

$760

or

GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
H50

$625

RAM speed doesn't matter when OCing as you OC with the multiplier.

I would go with the Gigabyte combo - missed that post earlier up. I've had a few Gigabyte boards and never had an issue. UEFI BIOS is not worth $135. That's a really good deal.

Also, the H50 was replaced by the H60 which is the same price as it on Amazon.

Edit: I lied, H60 is cheaper as it has MIR.

RAM speed doesn't matter when OCing as you OC with the multiplier.

I would go with the Gigabyte combo - missed that post earlier up. I've had a few Gigabyte boards and never had an issue. UEFI BIOS is not worth $135. That's a really good deal.

Also, the H50 was replaced by the H60 which is the same price as it on Amazon.

Edit: I lied, H60 is cheaper as it has MIR.

That's what I thought, these chips are unlocked now right?

$135 is a lot to consider...I think I might go w/the gigabyte here...it seems solid.

do you have a price cap?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263

gets my vote its rather feature rich.

im still torn between that board and a 2600k

or getting an 8 core bulldozer

Tell me, what does that $270 monster offer that this $190 motherboard does not? Same number of PCIe 16 slots (3, with same bandwidth configuration). Same number of SATA 6.0 ports (4).

Compare them side-by-side and find me enough to justify a $80 price difference:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57250&cm_re=asrock_z68-_-13-157-250-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57263&cm_re=asrock_z68-_-13-157-263-_-Product

I am so TIRED of people spending too much for a motherboard:

If you don't need SLI/CFX, spending more than $130 on a Sandy motherboard is stupid.

If you only need 2-way SLI / CFX, then spending more than $150 on a Sandy motherboard is stupid.

If you need 3-way SLI/CFX, spending more than $200 on a Sandy motherboard is stupid.

Now with multiplier driving everything, you don't need a high-quality motherboard to achieve high bus speeds for good overclocks. Also, with the incredibly-optimized Sandy Bridge DDR3 controller, you can keep an overclocked chip fed nicely with just DDR3 1600, so those exotic ram speeds are pure marketing bull.

STOP RECOMMENDING OVERPRICED MOTHERBOARDS.

Yeah, I'd buy the Gigabyte combo. $140 for the board and $100 for the ram is a good price.

I've used many gigabyte boards as my main boards, and they're solid. I read that the UEFI on the new gigabytes is a bit hoaky, but it works.

well for me its the number of sata ports, and i like the color scheme matches the rest of my hardware.

as for the price it will come down it was just released so it doesnt have the usual internet cheapo price yet like the P67 version which is 220 ect so you kinda have to expect to pay for the early adopter price if you want to buya board which isnt really at other etailers yet.

its also got pci-e 3.0 when combined with ivy bridge (first board to market with it)

its essentially the same as the ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe which is a $250 board but with the above mentioned differences

plus you can get rid of the fatal1ty's ugly mug in the bios by switching the theme to fatal1ty2 so your not stuck looking at his face like on the p67 version lol

edit

v6maro if you want to save some money go with the gigabyte setup either way youll be happy i think.

I just jumped on a gigabyte as well, but the UD4...it was on for cheaper yesterday here in canada $114! after rebate. One thing...have you considered goin with just a 2500k? 4 threads i know...but close to the same clocks and save yourself $100... Ivy Bridge is gonna be compatible with these boards...i went this route and am just gonna drop in a Ivy Bridge once they are out and have matured the 22nm process. Upgrade paths are always nice to have :)

Goodluck and let us know what you decided on!

Ordered up the gigabyte, 2600k, 16gb gskill ram, h60!

should be here in a day or two.

Thank guys!

BFBC2 runs like ass on my current system, Q6600 @ 3.2ghz and a single 1gb 6870 since crossfire is broken for me in mp it doesnt use my second 6870 and actually give me less fps when CF is enabled. which makes me wonder just how much power is going ot be needed to run BF3 with an FPS im happy with. which is a constant 90+

Really? Runs fine here on a 5870 at 2560x1600. What resolution are you running?

Also, one question, if I swap the mobo,cpu,ram with whats currently in my pc, do I need to re-install win7? I'm going to lose some IDE's because of this, so I need to pre-plan some disk space moving if it requires a re-install. I'd like to just limp along for a month or two until I upgrade to an SSD and a new vid card.

Damn.. That is a good deal! 16GB of ram & mobo with a $50 discount?!

well that 16GB of ram is about $30 overpriced from a good sale! :p

v6maro, that discount made it look super hot but it still is a good deal. Camel shows that price as the lowest for that motherboard on newegg and you got 16GB for $100. Good deal.

Just test the crap out of that motherboard within the first month. I like buying motherboards locally just in case there is a problem (though Newegg is really good with customer service).

Reinstall Win 7. The only time I would just drop it in is if the new motherboard has the same chipset (though Win 7 would adapt I like knowing that it can be all that it is!)

Last edited:
I am so TIRED of people spending too much for a motherboard

Ditto. Expensive motherboards are a waste, I've learned.

similar feelings.

I bought the MSI C43 for about $105. No Crossfire/SLI but I will never use it. If you are going to post an expensive MB, at least point out why one should consider it (as in what features/benefits over cheaper ones).

Tell me, what does that $270 monster offer that this $190 motherboard does not? Same number of PCIe 16 slots (3, with same bandwidth configuration). Same number of SATA 6.0 ports (4).

Compare them side-by-side and find me enough to justify a $80 price difference:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57250&cm_re=asrock_z68-_-13-157-250-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57263&cm_re=asrock_z68-_-13-157-263-_-Product

I am so TIRED of people spending too much for a motherboard:

If you don't need SLI/CFX, spending more than $130 on a Sandy motherboard is stupid.

If you only need 2-way SLI / CFX, then spending more than $150 on a Sandy motherboard is stupid.

If you need 3-way SLI/CFX, spending more than $200 on a Sandy motherboard is stupid.

Now with multiplier driving everything, you don't need a high-quality motherboard to achieve high bus speeds for good overclocks. Also, with the incredibly-optimized Sandy Bridge DDR3 controller, you can keep an overclocked chip fed nicely with just DDR3 1600, so those exotic ram speeds are pure marketing bull.

STOP RECOMMENDING OVERPRICED MOTHERBOARDS.

hahah pure BS, do you actually read the OC guides etc? did you ever follow BIOS updates for mid range boards compared to high end? did you ever heard about VRM/colling, did you ever heard of vdroop? did you ever heard of quality components? more sata ports? better/more on board controllers? more/stable LLC/levels, more fan headers? (4 PWM) better general support etc?

And no i don't talk about Asrock mobos, i talk generally, getting high end mobo offer lots of advantages, but yea you will never know i guess.

Last edited:
Also, one question, if I swap the mobo,cpu,ram with whats currently in my pc, do I need to re-install win7? I'm going to lose some IDE's because of this, so I need to pre-plan some disk space moving if it requires a re-install. I'd like to just limp along for a month or two until I upgrade to an SSD and a new vid card.
When I shifted from P35 chipset to Z68 I had to reinstall windows. My windows just wouldn't work without it. All my data had to be moved. Good thing I bought a new case etc so I only needed to pop in HDDs and Video card from one system to the next to do the move.

But yeah, Win 7 or Win XP didn't run at all with the new setup.

I upgraded from a P55 chipset to P67 and didn't have to reinstall windows 7. But the two chipsets are obviously fairly similar.

Well, good news, I did in-fact swap all my hardware, and booted into win7 without any issues. I did a sysprep before I shut it down. If anyone want's the steps to this, post up and I'll post up the instructions.

Now, how the hell do I OC this SOB? :)

Go to bios. Turn off EIST and Turbo modes. Set multiplier to 45 (means 4.5 Ghz). Reboot. Continue watching voltages since auto voltage adjust can unnecessarily overvolt the chip. I can do 4.8 Ghz on my 2600K w/ 1.4V. Since you have water cooling, maybe you can do so the same with less volts. After 4.5 Ghz there are minimal gains from overclocking so I backed it down to 4.5 Ghz. YMMV

join the crowd welcome

get 2600k with anything from msi p67 and ripjaw 16gb
you be happy

Back