• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600-CPU-Z Readings Help

Riggd

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
152
Ok I think I have a slight problem either with a CPU-Z setting or on my computer.

I'm running a Q6600 on an Abit IP35-Pro

So my problem is when I start my computer I go into Bios and change Oc' settings. Actually just checked them. They were at default for a Q6600 2.4ghz ~266 x 9 so then I left that screen and exited out of bios not saving any changes. I opened up CPU-Z once my computer started up, and to my surprise it's telling me my computer's running at 1.5 ghz ~266 x 6.

Can anyone inform me on what I might have done or what could be wrong?

All help is appreciated. :)
 
its speedstep, its a feature in intel cpus that lowers the multiplier to 6 when not being used or not needed, this will keep the cpu cool and conserve energy and its nothing to worry about. The multiplier goes back up when the cpu is needed, and you will not lose performance with it on either.
 
Alright. Good to know.

The reason I ask is I'm about to start oc'ing my Q660. And the lower clock was sort of freaking me out.
Also all I have to do is disable it and it will show an accurate clock. Correct?
 
Alright. Good to know.

The reason I ask is I'm about to start oc'ing my Q660. And the lower clock was sort of freaking me out.
Also all I have to do is disable it and it will show an accurate clock. Correct?
well its an accurate clock all the time, since cpu z is real time, but yea if your going to OC its always recommended to turn speedstep off (also known as C1E), why? i dont know.
 
Alright thanks for your help.

Now all I have to do is vacuum the dust out of my computer xD
And then I'll start oc'ing. :)
 
ugh.....

Ok so I disabled C1E. But CPU-Z is still showing me a reduced clock. :(
Any other ideas of what could be wrong? Any help is wanted.
 
Make sure if you have "C1E / Speedstep / EIST" that they are all disabled. You've disabled C1E, but search for speedstep and EIST if you see either of these, disable them.
 
Make sure if you have "C1E / Speedstep / EIST" that they are all disabled. You've disabled C1E, but search for speedstep and EIST if you see either of these, disable them.

Alright. I'll try it out. Thanks for your help.
 
You shouldn't actually disable Speedstep/EIST and C1E. It won't help your overclock to turn them off, and you'll save power when your system is idle when it's enabled. Many people seem to have the idea that the options will affect your overclocking potential, but it isn't actually the case.
 
O I know that. I would just like to be able to monitor what my clock is without remembering the settings and then using a calculator. Btw I disabled EIST and C1E and the problem still presists :/
 
That's odd then. Double-check and make sure both settings are indeed turned off in the BIOS and that you save the settings when you exit.
 
if you've turned off speedstep in bios and still showing its enabled in cpuz trying flashing your bios. i recently flashed my motherboard to the newest bios and disabling speedstep wasn't working. turned out the bios was messed up (as in whoever programmed it forgot about speedstep) so i went back to the previous one to get that functionality back.

but that's last case scenario. its quite rare for that to happen but if you have exhausted all other possibilities look into it.
 
forgot to mention EIST, my bad, also yea i dont know why people say to turn speedstep off, but i thought id mention it.
 
Ok first of all thanks to everyone who has been helping me.
But,..
I have a new problem, when I disable EIST and C1E and then save to CMOS and exit. My computer shuts all the way down. It should just restart but after I make those two changes I have to manually start it up. Also when I go into the setup screen to change settings both C1E and EIST are Enabled again. Any ideas??
 
If you have a battery tester, test your CMOS battery and make sure it's got enough juice in it. Also, try resetting your CMOS completely and then reconfiguring the BIOS. A BIOS update might also help.
 
Alright this will make me sound like a def nub.

But would anyone mind helping me with doing a BIOS update or anything along the lines of Zero82z's reply. xD
 
Alright this will make me sound like a def nub.
But would anyone mind helping me with doing a BIOS update or anything along the lines of Zero82z's reply. xD
AIM - sellkids4life
You need to dowload your bios from here.
http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/down...8000&pTITLE_IMG=/download/images/download.gif

pick your motherboard which is this according to your sig http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/down...pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=IP35+Pro&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775

Take a look at our bios and find out which version you have, the latest on their website is BIOS ID:17

If you look on top of the page you will see links to the Flash utility you need to update your bios as well as instructions.

Good luck.
 
Thanks for the quick answer.
I guess I'll try that out.

*edit* When I clear my CMOS will it also delete everything off the computer or just reset BIOS??
 
Back
Top