q6600 cooling help

anthrex

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got my q6600 G0 two days ago and I was wondering what I can do to get it cooler. I have a Ultima 90 with a Scythe S-Flex 120mm. My case is a cheapo case that has two 80mm (one unknown & the other a antec tri-cool) one on the exhaust and one in front with no other places to mount. I am idling stock at 36-37 Cand under dual orthos it goes to 62 and under gaming (TF2 and CS:S) its around 58. When I mounted the Ultima it seemed a little bit loose as it would rotate whenever I would touch it and was wondering if that was a problem. I won't be able to do anymore computer purchases till January so any cheap fixes will be great!

since your fans are that small, remove the panels from your case completely until Jan...then get a new case, or go custom water.

hmmm so what you are saying that with my cooling in case the temps are reasonable? Also for the fan on thermalright since the back 80mm is exhausting should move the 120mm to the other side of the thermalright to make it push the heat towards the exhaust? Also if a fan doesn't have a label how can you tell which way the air is blowing? Yes i know its a stupid question but I can't feel the difference lol. Oh yea and water is out of the question cause I tend to move the case around a lot.

fast way to know which way the fans are blowing? throw little pieces of paper from the outside... if they are blown inside then turn that fan the other way and point the 120mm to blow in that direction! :D

Those temps are not really that bad for a quad. You could maybe drop another 5 degrees if you went to a better hsf like the ultra 120 extreme but I would not worry about it with those temps.

thanks mylan! Its just one of those simple things you don't think of :D

actompkins, thanks for the info I'm not burning it up.

I guess I'll mess around with the fan direction probably this weekend since I'm too lazy/busy to do it till then.

Actually the fastest way to tell which way air flow is look at the support bars for the motor hub. Air (should) always flow through the fan so that the air hits the enclosed "cap" side of the motor, and the support beams will be on the exhaust side of the fan. I have never seen a fan of any size have airflow the opposite way, presumably because it would cause dust to accumulate in the motor cap.

Back