Q6600 BSODs

Dethred

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

I put in my B3 today and it is having some problems. For a few hours it was running at around 50 idle, which is terrible. Now its in the upper 50's, it won't boot with less than 1.375v in the bios, and will BSOD if I don't increase volts on the NB, SB, MCH, etc. Is this normal? I am using the latest P5B dlx bios too.

Check the heatsink's setting. Temps that high... it's either that or something that no amount of BIOS updates and CMOS resets will fix.

Yeah its on there correctly. Now Windows XP is bugging out. No programs are running correctly, its extremely slow and unresponsive. I love this CPU already:rolleyes:

Words is useless if you cannot show a screenie with CoreTemp and SpeedFan running along with CPUz...

Hey guys,

I put in my B3 today and it is having some problems. For a few hours it was running at around 50 idle, which is terrible. Now its in the upper 50's, it won't boot with less than 1.375v in the bios, and will BSOD if I don't increase volts on the NB, SB, MCH, etc. Is this normal? I am using the latest P5B dlx bios too.

Words is useless if you cannot show a screenie with CoreTemp and SpeedFan running along with CPUz...

sarcasm? which part of the BSOD part you didnt understand?

I read it well and he never said it always BSOD no matter what, only with lower voltage. If he can boot at higher voltage, we need to see if it is not the temps causing issues instead.

Also, you didn't answer if this is at stock speed ?? If yes, RMA this chip if you can prove the heatsink is mounted correctly.

i laughed really hard when i read this, BSOD!!! Blue Screen OF Death meaning it would be hard for him to get screen shots considering his OS, is not functioning correctly.

i laughed really hard when i read this, BSOD!!! Blue Screen OF Death meaning it would be hard for him to get screen shots considering his OS, is not functioning correctly.

You are illiterate... "will BSOD if I don't increase volts on the NB, SB, MCH" mean that by increasing them, he is able to enter fine. By then, we need just a few mins to get them in a screenie, and i forgot to add memory settings as well...

I bet it's one of those causes :

-Heatsink not installed properly.
-Forgot thermal paste.
-Fan not running or running fast enough.
-Bad case airflow.
-Wrong memory configuration (1.8v when the stick require 2.1 to boot fine or timings too tight).
-Defective motherboard.

And only a proper debugging will uncover the cause instead of laughing at my suggestions !!

I read it well and he never said it always BSOD no matter what, only with lower voltage. If he can boot at higher voltage, we need to see if it is not the temps causing issues instead.

Also, you didn't answer if this is at stock speed ?? If yes, RMA this chip if you can prove the heatsink is mounted correctly.

I agree with his assessment. My first reaction to the OP was "at what point" does he start seeing BSODs? Boot? Login? Launching games? Playing music? What? Where? Details man! Details! :eek:

-Heatsink not installed properly. Fan is facing rear of case.

Installed same as I've always done it.

-Forgot thermal paste.

Thermal paste is on there, nice thin even layer

-Fan not running or running fast enough.

Fan is working, Fast enough... I am not sure. I think its at 100% unless the motor is wearing down.

-Bad case airflow.

2-Front 80mm's blowing in, 1-side 80mm blowing in, 1-rear 120mm blowing out.
-Wrong memory configuration (1.8v when the stick require 2.1 to boot fine or timings too tight).
-Defective motherboard.

One of the BSODS was UDFS_File_System. or something very similar to that.
It usually happens within a few minutes if I can in fact get into the OS. I am nearly to the point of RMA'ing. I wonder if I'd get a G0 out of it anyways.

UDFS_File_System

This error is not the type that would indicate bad ram, processor, or motherboard. This is an OS, Driver, file system, or hard drive error.

Did you add this processor to an existing system? Sometimes when you swap processors you have to reinstall the OS. I would also think about running diagnostics on your hard drive. Also do a chkdsk.

So in this order I would
1. Run chkdsk
2. Run hard drive diagnostic utility
3. Reinstall OS

Well, i tried reinstalling windows and the Retail disk came up with missing files during the post-format file load. I waited half a day to pick up another XP Pro SP2 disk from a friend and the exact same files weren't loading, and installation wouldn't commence. I am RMA'ing my CPU tomorrow and waiting for a G0 from Clubit, which should be in early next week. If this doesn't fix it then I am in trouble.

PS: There were other random BSODS, like IRQL not less than or equal to, etc. This stuff only began when I installed the CPU. Something isn't right here. Why would two verified working XP retail disks not loading certain files, including a CPU file.

Back