Q6600 B3 (can't get past 3.5ghz)

mintos

Weaksauce
Is that normal with a watersetup? I have two radiators (120.4 and 120.1)
Cpu @ 1.475v and idles at 45*C

load temps go over 60*C!

That's about what I've been seeing and also the main reason I opted not to get a Quad this time around................:eek:

Hopefully more games will be utilizing the extra cores. With two cores (E6600) I can play most current games and have the extra core do background stuff (OS, BT, etc..) Newer games will be more multi-threaded, so I still think going quad will still be the better option.

Are you really complaining about four 'Core 2' cores at 3.5ghz each?!?

My gods, that's more computing power than most CORPORATIONS had a mere decade ago!

Yea 3.5Ghz is a pretty decent OC actually and your temps are not *that* awful? Do you have anything else in the loop?

just my GTS... But i'm coming from 35*C/45*C E6600 @3.6ghz... so looking at the Q6600 temps will take some used to. I'm not complaining as much as I'm trying to get a sense of what the norm is. Seems like i'm right there... which is a bummer. Seems my luck sucks just as much with cpus as lottos.

I'm temped to throw another rad in ... but I know that's not going to help my OC. My E6600 just refuses to do anything 3.7 with tolerable voltages... Seems like the same situation with the Q6600. I've moved it back down to 3.2ghz @ 1.375v so I can idle at 42*C and load at 56*C

actually I just moved it back up to 3325 7x475... that seems to be stable with the same voltage.

P.S. let me add that the Q6600 really has an uneven HSF.... my first mounting atempt with thin layer of AS5 was horrible... but I didn't want to sand it, so I'm stuck with using a thicker layer of AS5 than I would normally like to use. It's not really concave or convex... one side of the HSF just seem to be sticking up.

Would you get better temps with the cpu on its own radiator loop? and the gpu on another loop? What cpu block are you using?

The new G0 Q6600 that are starting to hit the market that run cooler and require less voltage.

Look the identification of SLACR on the box. That will indicate if it is G0.

I was going to ask about your mounting- 15C variation between idle and load seems high. The bad IHS and AS5 answer that... :(

What is your motherboard ?? What is your cpu block ??

Some motherboards won't allow you to go paste a certain FSB with quads, limiting you to 3.5 GHz max. For the block, a user with a Q6600 G0 used a Storm WB and the temps is shooting thru the roof because this one isn't designed for cooling a large area. A Apogee or Fuzion is better suited for this cpu.

Also, B3 Q6600 seems to be hotter and requiring more voltage than G0 so your results might not be surprising.

yeah... it's better now that the AS5 had some time to settle. I'm at 39*C/55*C. My block is the d-tek fuzion. Great for E6600... not so good for Q6600.

Also... I won't say that the 15*C variation is large for the Q6600 until I see more results from perfectly flat chips with similar cooling setups. Browsing the temp posts from different setups, 15*C delta seems the norm.

BTW, just a side note re: temps.

When I got mine, I found out in the first five minutes that I absolutely COULD NOT use the stock Intel fan- the chip overloaded it almost instantly when I stressed it even at stock speeds/volts. Did you guys have the same problem?

I hooked it up to a Thermaltake Rocket WC kit (Reserator knock-off) but with two rads (bought two kits, one was sacrificed for its tower), and it's still running 60C-66C loaded with a 120mm Panaflo pointing directly across both. I know it's a cheap block, but it does the job- both towers get pretty hot.

BTW, just a side note re: temps.

When I got mine, I found out in the first five minutes that I absolutely COULD NOT use the stock Intel fan- the chip overloaded it almost instantly when I stressed it even at stock speeds/volts. Did you guys have the same problem?

I hooked it up to a Thermaltake Rocket WC kit (Reserator knock-off) but with two rads (bought two kits, one was sacrificed for its tower), and it's still running 60C-66C loaded with a 120mm Panaflo pointing directly across both. I know it's a cheap block, but it does the job- both towers get pretty hot.

*definitely* a RMA candidate! It HAS to run with the stock HSF to be considered defect-free.

*definitely* a RMA candidate! It HAS to run with the stock HSF to be considered defect-free.

Agreed, I did RMA one time when a E6420 isn't stable even at stock speed and voltage no matter what heatsink. Turn out the IHS isn't fully in contact with the core so the temp is 5-8C higher on one core.

hmm... but that shouldn't be an issue with the Q6600. I believe higher C2D has soldered HSFs... but I didn't bother checking my quad with stock HSF

hmm... but that shouldn't be an issue with the Q6600. I believe higher C2D has soldered HSFs... but I didn't bother checking my quad with stock HSF

LGA775 processors ALL have soldered IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader). That is the metal thing that is on the actual processor itself. None of them have a soldered HSF (Heat Sink and Fan). The HSF assembly is always a completely separate entity, it would be an extreme oddity to have one that is permanently affixed in any manner.

LGA775 processors ALL have soldered IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader). That is the metal thing that is on the actual processor itself. None of them have a soldered HSF (Heat Sink and Fan). The HSF assembly is always a completely separate entity, it would be an extreme oddity to have one that is permanently affixed in any manner.
Not true, Conroe-L and Allendale (e4x00, e21x0, and Celeron) have thermal paste- not solder- under the IHS.

Yeah.. lets not confuse IHS and HSF... sorry that was my slip up. I heard that the temps maybe actually be 15*C lower because of incorrect 100*C Tjunction in coretemp. Is that true?

Back