q6600 and yet another OC incremental question

mito

Gawd
Suppose my q6600 b3 does reach 3Ghz without a problem, can I go straight to that speed or do I have to test it incrementally in 25Mhz steps until I reach 3Ghz?

I started gingerly a measly 5MHz bump - fine, then 10...then 15, what the hell I went to 300MHz still booting, no error in Prime 95....then...in for penny/cent in for a pound/dollar...upped it to 333MHz FSB and it booted.

So 25MHz jumps seems fine, set it in BIOS, reboot, load up core temp immediately and check idle temps then run Prime 95 Small FFT, keep an eye on your temps.

If all is OK after a few minutes and it doesn't shoot up to anything crazy, then try out your next jump, rinse and repeat all the way to 3GHz! :D

Now I'm at 3GHz I'm properly stability testing with Prime 95 at the moment and will do for about 6Hrs.

So there's no danger of damage if I go straight to 3Ghz instead of doing it incrementally?

(supposing the the q6600 can reach 3GHz without problems, which q6600 doesn't?)

Yea, just throw it up there. It won't damage anything; it'll either be stable or not stable.

So there's no danger of damage if I go straight to 3Ghz instead of doing it incrementally?

(supposing the the q6600 can reach 3GHz without problems, which q6600 doesn't?)

WHOAH! Hold on there, there's a small risk of damage to the processor but it will most likeley protect itself by failing to POST or shutting down, chips are quite robust these days the same cannot be said of mobo's or RAM.

You should do small increments to make sure it boots at the new speed, incremental is best.

I went from 266MHz FSB to 271 to 281 to 296 to 300 then to 333. DO NOT go direct to 333.

Yes you most probably will get there so this might seem over cautious but better safe than sorry.

now comes a newbie question:

my q6600 has a fsb of 1066

my ozc pc8500 mem is running fsb at 266 or 400? what about ram speed?

:confused:

now comes a newbie question:

my q6600 has a fsb of 1066

my ozc pc8500 mem is running fsb at 266 or 400? what about ram speed?

:confused:

Right your processor is quad pumped so 1066 actually = 266.5MHz* FSB set in your BIOS (if you can set that, otherwise 266 or 267 will do) .

Your RAM is PC8500 so thats 1066 but DDR2 means it doubled so really that = 533MHz

So at stock in your BIOS set FSB at 267* now your RAM speed should be dictated by what ratio you choose to use in your BIOS, 2x267 = 534 bingo!

Set your ratio to 1:2.0

Obviously as you O/C you gonna have to change this ratio, lets use 3GHz as an example:

You're gonna use a FSB of 333 (with a multiplier of 9), so to keep using your ram at its stock frequency the ratio will have to be 1:1.6 (333x1.6 = 532.8)

I hope this explains what you're asking, the figures can be tweaked very slightly but not the ratios.

Edit: of course if you want to O/C the RAM also then of course the ratios are different, i just hope I've explained it clearly enough to show how it works

I've never had any adverse effects from pushing the oc envelope. Usually it's post or not.

When overclocking, I'm more inclined to experiment with cpu speeds rather than memory speeds. It's cheaper to buy good overclocking memory than the top of the line cpu. Also cpu overclocking only locks the system or refuses to post, memory screwups cause BSOD's and windows install corruptions...

That said, before I installed an OS I went for the 4ghz bootup... I fell short of posting at 4ghz and had to settle for a 3.9x. I have the pic on my cellphone, looks good but no way stable.

Once I had my fun I tried for 3.2 first and found it passed memtest/prime and endured a full xp install. I kept pushing it till I hit my temp comfort zone at 3.4, while 3.5 can be prime stable (with 80C being touched), 3.6 is reachable with water cooling I think.

I'm looking forward to a humble 3Ghz OC and the mems at 333.

Is that possible at all with my setup?

I'm looking forward to a humble 3Ghz OC and the mems at 333.

Is that possible at all with my setup?

You don't want to run your mem at 333MHz your giving away performance, you want your mem at 533MHz

Edit: yes it is possible 1:1.0 ratio with your proc at 3GHz but as I've said above you're not using your RAM to its potential then.

My quad first boot went straight to 3.2. 5, 10, 15...just a big waste of time. 99.99% will do 3.0, so dont waste your time.

Right your processor is quad pumped so 1066 actually = 266.5MHz* FSB set in your BIOS (if you can set that, otherwise 266 or 267 will do) .

Your RAM is PC8500 so thats 1066 but DDR2 means it doubled so really that = 533MHz

So at stock in your BIOS set FSB at 267* now your RAM speed should be dictated by what ratio you choose to use in your BIOS, 2x267 = 534 bingo!

Set your ratio to 1:2.0

Obviously as you O/C you gonna have to change this ratio, lets use 3GHz as an example:

You're gonna use a FSB of 333 (with a multiplier of 9), so to keep using your ram at its stock frequency the ratio will have to be 1:1.6 (333x1.6 = 532.8)

I hope this explains what you're asking, the figures can be tweaked very slightly but not the ratios.

Edit: of course if you want to O/C the RAM also then of course the ratios are different, i just hope I've explained it clearly enough to show how it works
I am a complete noob at OCing and I am trying to learn as much as I can before I build. From what I understand of what you are saying there, you can just adjust the multiplier each time you bump of the FSB so you arn't OCing the RAM?

I am a complete noob at OCing and I am trying to learn as much as I can before I build. From what I understand of what you are saying there, you can just adjust the multiplier each time you bump of the FSB so you arn't OCing the RAM?

not the multiplier, the FSB to RAM ratio. The multiplier is completely different.

What I did was I knew my target was 3GHz (9 multiplier at 333MHz FSB) so at the outset i set my FSB and RAM to 1:1.0 so that when I hit 3GHz I knew my RAM was at its correctly rated speed, but bear in mind I'm running PC5400 = 333MHz

You can go straigh to what ever you want, I went up to 2.8ghz with mine, i know they are stable at 3ghz and even 4ghz so. I wont do that with amd X2 because i don't know how far they will be stable, so jumping by 5mhz is good if you don't know the processor limit.

the fact that I am using pc8500 (533), does it mean I can overclock easier than with pc6400 (400) for instance?

the fact that I am using pc8500 (533), does it mean I can overclock easier than with pc6400 (400) for instance?

With PC6400 you can go to 400mhz FSB ( 400x 9 = 3.6ghz ) if you want proper cpu cooling withou overclocking your ram. If you want to reach 3.6ghz with Pc5300 they will need to be overclocking by ( 400-333= 67 mhz ) Depend what is your brand ram and reviews about them if they can be overclock you are fine. Like my ram are not stable past 340mhz. But if you have PC8500 you can change your ratio and run fsb to 400mhz and your ram will be running at more mhz for more ram performance.

So I have it in sync mode.

Set fsb to 1250

now I have the following stable:

CPU Clock.............2812.5 MHz (original: 2400 MHz, overclock: 17%)
CPU Multiplier........9.0x
CPU FSB..............312.5 MHz (original: 266 MHz, overclock: 17%)
Memory Bus.........312.5 MHz
DRAM:FSB Ratio..1:1[/FONT]

Next step is going to 2998 and mem at 333.

What do you think?

Since you have PC8500 ( 1066 mhz ram ) you can change your ratio. Like 1:2 or more. Your cpu will be running at 312mhz x 9 and your ram at 624mhz with the ratio 1:2. I don't know what your board ratio have but you can go higher to take advantage of your ram speed for more performance without overclock your ram..

Since you have PC8500 ( 1066 mhz ram ) you can change your ratio. Like 1:2 or more. Your cpu will be running at 312mhz x 9 and your ram at 624mhz with the ratio 1:2. I don't know what your board ratio have but you can go higher to take advantage of your ram speed for more performance without overclock your ram..

you confused me now :(

isn't my memory running already at 312.5 (625 Mhz)???????????

now

CPU @ 3Ghz
mem @ 325Mhz

cpu temp @ 41C idle

how do I increase memory to 600MHz?

now

cpu @ 3025 Mhz
mem @ 336.1 Mhz

cpu temp @ 44C idle

I reached 15056 in 3dmark2006

Your RAM is good for 533mhz (DDR 1066Mhz)

Right now you are running it at a little over 300Mhz (DDR 600Mhz)

To increase or decrease the RAM speed, change the FSB / RAM divider.

Your RAM is good for 533mhz (DDR 1066Mhz)

Right now you are running it at a little over 300Mhz (DDR 600Mhz)

To increase or decrease the RAM speed, change the FSB / RAM divider.

Now comes the tricky part.

If I decide to increase ram oc, should I increase its voltage?

what about CPU voltage?

and what ratio should I use? (considering my current setup):

q6600 (b3)
2x1gb ocz pc8500 sli-ready
evga 680i (a1)

thanks alot again.

Is it my impression or BIOS is auto-adjusting ram and cpu voltages??? :confused::eek:

^^ It's a power saving feature, you have to turn it off. I forget what it's called though...

Disable EIST and C1E when overclocking. When you get a stable overclock that you are satisfied with, try enabling them again. BE WARNED, EIST and C1E do NOT work with anything less than the original multiplier (for q6600, it's 9x).

Disable EIST and C1E when overclocking. When you get a stable overclock that you are satisfied with, try enabling them again. BE WARNED, EIST and C1E do NOT work with anything less than the original multiplier (for q6600, it's 9x).

What is EIST and C1E?

I have the following disabled:

limit cpuid maxval
cpu thermal control
c1e enhanced halt state
nvidia gpu ex

What is EIST and C1E?
EIST = Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology - allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency, which can result in decreased average power consumption and decreased average heat production.

C1E (enchanced halt state) - to reduce power consumption when Idle

They work hand in hand... disable them before you overclock. I recommend you read this:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147164

cpu @ 3Ghz
mem @ 933Mhz
ratio 7:5 ?

mem timings: 5-6-6-18 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

cpu @ 3Ghz
mem @1066

BSOD.............

back to mem @ 900Mhz

ram:fsb ratio @ 7:5 is that right?

Concentrate on one thing at a time :rolleyes: Either work on the cpu or memory...don't try to overclock them both at the same time... I recommend you find max fsb for motherboard first, then cpu oc, finally memory oc. You want to find the cpu limit before the memory limit cus 1 matter more than 2. Also keep it at a 1:1 ratio. Intel gains almost nothing out of anything but 1:1 unless it's synthetic benchmarks.

cpu @ 3150MHz
fsb @ 350Mhz
mem @ 980Mhz
ram:fsb ratio 7:5

not bad heh?

what else can I improve here?

You could put the FSB up to 400 and take the multiplier down to 8 which would make 3.2 ghz, but it is really touch and go whether your motherboard and CPU would be happy to do this. The memory is fine, though if it is possible you could try lowering the timings a bit.

You could put the FSB up to 400 and take the multiplier down to 8 which would make 3.2 ghz, but it is really touch and go whether your motherboard and CPU would be happy to do this. The memory is fine, though if it is possible you could try lowering the timings a bit.

cpu @ 3.2Ghz
fsb @ 400Mhz
mem @ 980Mhz

my evga 680i is accepting almost anything I put... this is addictive... :cool::D

Back