q6600+680i $850

Whats the advantage of getting a quad core when dual core hasnt even been out that long?

In other words should I skip dual core and go straight to quad core? I dont want to get screwed like I did buying a 1080i HDTV and now everyone has a 1080P model.

well if you stop to think about it as far as technology goes your always gonna be screwed. Those 1080p's will be surpassed as they start integrating more with computer monitor hardware to get higer rez'es to support the Gatesian vision of a fused entertainment/information system ( think of the Dell 30" as an example of this bridge ) Your always gonna be screwed NEXT YEAR (specially early adopters)

sorry, try this and check the third page(?)

http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=32664

gonna be annoyed if its only in the CA stores

This is awesome. I need to know if it will work only for retail Frys, only the San jose Frys, or Frys online
presence.

Their website does not even have the Q6600 listed. Must be only a brick and mortar thing. This is not fair!
I want to buy that processor and get my free motherboard. I wonder if I could call them, buy it over the phone
and ask them to ship me my items.

which one is the best mobo?

EVGA nForce 680i SLI mobo
Abit AW9D-Max mobo
Asus P5B Deluxe mobo

time to do some research.

which one is the best mobo?

EVGA nForce 680i SLI mobo
Abit AW9D-Max mobo
Asus P5B Deluxe mobo

time to do some research.

I want the Evga 680i out of those choices. 3 PCI-E slots, 680i, great overclocker...the only
problem is the small capaciters on the back of the motherboard that make it hard to use a
back plate for an after market CPU cooler.

Damn, there's no Frys anywhere around here. Good luck to those who are able to get in on this though.

Whats the advantage of getting a quad core when dual core hasnt even been out that long?

In other words should I skip dual core and go straight to quad core? I dont want to get screwed like I did buying a 1080i HDTV and now everyone has a 1080P model.

If you actually have multithreaded apps, or don't mind setting affinity, you have 4 cores. 4 > 2

:)

Wow killer deal! If I had the cash and didnt buy a full system already I would be all over that.

can anyone confirm that this deal is good for SoCal Fry's as well?

In the words of Paris Hilton: That's Hot!

Im pretty sure it is, so tempting but then again they are selling these at cost more then likely. They buying their next Q2 shipment of Q6600 for probably only $450 per unit, the mobos they buy I would say for $189 per unit. So in the end they may even make profit, hold to your guns and dont buy a q6600 till Q2.

The first page of the ad says the flyer is only valid where its in circulation in a newspaper, so looks like only valid in San Jose, CA... unless other markets have the same sale flyer I guess. Though its worth printing the ad out and giving it a shot to see if they'll honor or match it.

The thread title is REALLY REALLY REALLY like OMG like realy OMG OMG REALLY annoying.

Wouldn't it be funny if after all this excitement you go to the store and they're out of stock?

Seems like a pretty good deal though - too bad it's B&M only.

Not a whole whole lot that will take advantage of quad core (I think in the Anandtech's writeup the dual core's were as fast if not a wee bit faster than the quad in most current applications). In the near future though when programs have been optimized for quad it'll be huge. Alan Wake for example...the game looks phenominal and it's optimized to use quad core. The great graphics you were are using a quad core processor and a single 7900 video card I believe.

It's warm, because it's only availble at Retail Stores, it would be flaming hot if it was also available online. The Q6600 is not even listed on their online website. I would choose the eVGA 680i because it allows you to run SLi.

It's in the Sacramento circulars too. Woot!

I've already got a Q6600 (unlocked even!) but it's still a good deal with that free mobo.

(7) No CUSSING in the thread title. It is permitted in the thread body, but please refrain from using excessive profanity dammit.

(9) No SHOUTING (Posting in all capital letters) It’s hard to read and just plain rude and annoying.

RE: Rule 9

I sometimes handwrite in all caps... am I offending people? :)

Holy crap, that's blazing. Too bad I don't have $850 or I would be on that faster than a starving pit bull on a dropped piece of meat.

Its in the OCRegister (So-Cal) and in MercuryNews (Nor-Cal) so pretty much avaliable to all Californians and I'm hearing reports that it may be avaliable for those in Arizona too.

sorry KingKaeru, i was a little excited and had liek omg too much coffee this morning :D

I look at the price and then think about it again and how Q2 the q6600 should be around $500s for OEM (then I stop myself for thinking of buying one.)

I look at the price and then think about it again and how Q2 the q6600 should be around $500s for OEM (then I stop myself for thinking of buying one.)

That's only $70-120 more than what you will pay in 3 months.

I do wish though that the bad axe 2 was an option.
The only mobo in the list with VT support is the Abit AW9D-Max, which I am not too hot about.

Nice deal... good thing I don't get my tax refund til next month, otherwise I'd buy this and have a really nice paperweight (if a little large) as I wouldn't have the money for ram :p

That's only $70-120 more than what you will pay in 3 months.

I do wish though that the bad axe 2 was an option.
The only mobo in the list with VT support is the Abit AW9D-Max, which I am not too hot about.

The motherboards should drop in price and by the time q6600 hits Q2 with some nice volume of stock on the shelves we should see promo deals even lower espically through Frys. I wouldnt be suprised seeing a q6600 and motherboard for $499 with a Frys deal in Q2.

The motherboards should drop in price and by the time q6600 hits Q2 with some nice volume of stock on the shelves we should see promo deals even lower espically through Frys. I wouldnt be suprised seeing a q6600 and motherboard for $499 with a Frys deal in Q2.

Well, let's hope.
I already have everything for my new rig but the cpu and mobo.

Waiting is getting harder and this deal makes it even harder.

Firstly it IS available at all Fry's I picked a bundle up here in Atlanta at the local Fry's

and as for the price you get a motherboard (EVGA was $267.00) Free! so even if the processor will be cheaper in a few months it won't be THAT much cheaper

also the proc was a retail version

actually in a couple months it WILL be cheaper but of course that goes with all things...I'll enjoy mine now :)

Picked a set up at the Sacramento store. After me they had 16 Q6600s in stock.

Lookout Photoshop 4 cores coming at you as soon as I can back up my system and install this combo. Picked it up 1 hour ago can't wait to see what it will do.

Back