• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 @ 3.6

AMDXP

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
2,631
Just curious. If I'm running my Q6600 at 8*400 = 3.2

Would trying it at 9*400 make any real difference?

Specs in sig.


I am running stock voltage, btw. 1.225v with a xigmatek cooler.


what voltage would be safe too? I was thinking of bumping it up to maybe 1.27 or so, then lowering it if it's stable.
 
9 will make it 3600ghz, I doubt you can do that with 1.27.

bump it to 1.35 atleast, and then lower it if its stable

what are your current temps?
 
Yes it will make a difference, but you will have to use more voltage. Mine takes 1.5v for 3.6Ghz. Just try to keep it within 15C of TjMax under load.
 
CPU Temp in bios 40*C, but in windows the cores are 35-40.

Kind of humid/hot in my room at times too.

What if I left the voltage on AUTO? Would it automatically set to the right volts to boot?

*Edit

I think running it at my current 1.225 8*400 is kind of unreal, to begin with.
 
When the bios voltage is set to AUTO, some motherboards supply way too much voltage when overclocking. It's always best to set your voltage manually.

Typically your voltage requirements go way up between 3.2GHz and 3.6GHz. For 3.6GHz, like the other users have said, 1.50 volts is a good place to start. If stable you can reduce this but probably not much. At 3.6GHz, be prepared for your core temperatures to go way up at full load.

Is your computer Prime stable with 1.225 volts at 3.2GHz. Is this voltage your bios setting or what CPU-Z is saying at full load?
 
Been stable for 1 1/2 years as is. Riping/encoding. Prime et cetera + handbrake (taxing program.)


I was just curious. I might not. I can play what I usually play all maxed. (Steam/Source games.)


Only thing that was tasking was Arma II and Crysis. I didn't care much for either.
 
40C at 1.2v? start from 1.3v and slowly go up, not 1.5 and down. Seems like your temps are hot as it is.
 
Yeah, the temps/wattage drawn from the wall really skyrockets past 3.2ghz with the voltage increases.
 
My Q6600 runs at 3.6 using 1.35 or 1.38v I don't remember the exact voltage.
 
Looks like you probably have a really nice chip... maybe even nicer than mine.

I am at 3.88Ghz on air right now :D

If you don't mind overclocking your RAM.. up the bus speed and keep the 8x multiplier. once you find the max CPU speed you can do with the 9x multiplier.
 
Looks like you probably have a really nice chip... maybe even nicer than mine.

I am at 3.88Ghz on air right now :D

If you don't mind overclocking your RAM.. up the bus speed and keep the 8x multiplier. once you find the max CPU speed you can do with the 9x multiplier.

I want to try and keep a 1:1 ratio. I think I could actually do it at 1.3v

40C at 1.2v? start from 1.3v and slowly go up, not 1.5 and down. Seems like your temps are hot as it is.

I live in a humid/hot climate in the summer (Not a good mix) + No air conditioning. But, in the winter we get to -30*F ;)
 
Back
Top