• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q660 bottleneck my 6870?

Blubikins

Gawd
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
910
I just picked up a VisionTek 6870 recently, but I think my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU.

Q6660 @ 2.8ghz
4gigs of ram
1tb 7200rpm hdd
6870 @stock
680i mobo

In games like bad company 2 I'm running the game maxed out @ 1920x1200 except for AA and I'm getting like 35fps.

Would I see a pretty big FPS leap if I were to upgrade my cpu to an I5 or something newer?
 
Can't get it passed 2.8ghz stable, I've tried for the longest time But I can't. Even have the GO version and I've copied BIOS settings with people with the exact same motherboard and CPU and it still won't stay stable after testing. Temps are cool too.
 
A bottleneck, no. You could pick up a couple more frames with a decent overclock though.
 
Can't get it passed 2.8ghz stable, I've tried for the longest time But I can't. Even have the GO version and I've copied BIOS settings with people with the exact same motherboard and CPU and it still won't stay stable after testing. Temps are cool too.

interesting.. usually q6600 are one of the best overclockers of all time...
 
A RocketFish 700watt.... lol.

:D

Sorry but that name is hilarious!!!

What are the amp ratins for that PSU? A lot of 'yumcha' PSUs have big wattage ratings but woeful amp ratings, often being outperformed by ~400W name brand PSUs. It may very well be holding back your CPU overclock.

I'd say your CPU is a little slow for that card. You can always sell it and get a Q9x50 chip for about $50 difference, those chips generally overclock to 3.8GHz+, which will make a big difference to your BC2 framerates. Of course you'd need a decent PSU for that... ;)
 
I'm in the same boat. It seems that all Core2Quads are cpu limited in Bad Company 2. I'm trying to hold out and keep myself from getting an i7 so I can get on the sandy bridge train. When I watch my cpu usage it's pinned at 99% when I'm playing BC2 multiplayer. I also get almost the same low 30 fps performance whether I'm running at 1920x1080 or 5760x1080. I get fine performance in singleplayer and small servers, but in 32 player battles with buildings crashing around me I'm playing right at 30fps.

edit: It's worth pointing out that I can't play BC2 at anything higher than 3Ghz. I get constant Crash to desktops at my normal 3.4Ghz clock. I've tried everything I know to get this thing from crashing to desktop, but BC2 just doesn't like it.
 
Yea it could be my rocketfish PS, Its basically BestBuys brand. Hmm oh well I guess I'll just live with it until I decide to upgrade my mobo cpu ram and powersupply all at once.
 
the intel 2 quads still holds it own against i7 and phenom iis
the intel 2 quads are about 10% slower than i7 but can't oc as high of course
and neck and neck with phenom ii actually....
 
Back
Top