Q11 + H70 mod - and some other experiences

Tweakzz

n00b
Hi, This post is to highlight some experiences in building some SFF game rigs using the Q11 SFF case.

With cooling and video card size being the most queried parts there are some "interesting" possibilities.
Well, not as varied as one would have in the US or Europe (being in ZA) one learns to make do - from extremely limited stock options to pathetic RMA and support.
I do mention these latter points as they eventually will play a role unless you follow a magic formula with 100% performing items.
It's one thing battling to squeeze things in, but adding "flaws" or "under-performing" items into the mix makes it ...let's just say: NOT nice.

I'll add some pics later - (not many - difficult to build and take pics :) ) if i have enough in focus/relevant and if some readers may like to see them.
Not showcase quality as many of the mods went through various iterations before one finds that sweet spot. But i learn't a LOT from the gracious posts here that really saved me some time and effort in places.
Mainly seeing them is inspiring!

Yes, there were some 'dead wrong' posts like "not able to fit a Asus GTX560ti into the Q11" - sigh - but give them the benefit of learning....it was my choice to heed the post and fit a 460.
But then ye old modding bug reared it's head and looking at the extra oomph of the 560's led to giving it a whirl - and voila - they fit! And then add a H70 and 600W Corsair PSU with a 2600k and things get really interesting.
LOT's of head scratching and nearly resorting to sketchup to see if it is even possible to squeeze stuff into the Q11
(lol - After a few hours i have the case model 90% - but really, the work to make scale models is nice but too much for the time allotted)

So it was squeezing and trying all sorts of combinations. So far so good tho - initial tests look like its working like a charm...relatively low temps so far....

OK - thus this post is mainly the H70 mod - trying to squeeze it in - retaining both fans and have it working near as possible to "normal". Maybe if someone else has done this already in this case please post your findings.
I am going to fit my "idea" into the case in a fairly permanent manner so any other ideas would be welcome while i can still change some things. But it does seem to work nicely as it is...

Some 'problem' points:
Intel DH67CF has a strange fan control curve. (only 1155 ITX i can find until June/July)
The PWM fan controlling using Zalman fanmate and 3 x pwm fans - what a mission when it should have been easy :mad:
Getting both H70 fans squeezed in (Push-Pull) - header tank blocking RAM and PSU cables needing routing space - whew - that took a couple of days to try about 3 'ideas' .:confused:
Getting the slimline DVD to work!! :mad::mad: (soon to be "recycled" using a hammer!)
The power seems to "disappear" - worked after a strange battle - even after i 'had' to mod the pathetic 3cm SATA/proprietary Power plug,
last night it suddenly went back to no power (to replace it means dismantling pretty much ....everything out of the case! :eek:)

That's it for now - waiting to see if someone else has some H70 experience with the Q11 (or similar may also be useful)

Sure - i will try to upload some this weekend for sure.

Plus that thing called work kinda dents my hobby time in the week :(

Got my other project on final test - the 1156 on my sig with the new GTX560ti - modded the H50 a bit to improve cooling and it looks super temp wise (and sound level wise) so far.

As i mentioned i was kinda hoping that maybe someone else has an installed H70 with some ideas...but not seen any so far so i'm not going to wait for more ideas.

Here is my first attempt at modding the H70 into the Lian Li Q11 chassis
The picture gives the overall view and that it can be done - albeit with some modding of the front (push) fan.

5742578213_2c191fd935_z.jpg

The reason it is ModA or the first attempt - using the 'temporary' 1155 MoBo - an Intel DH67CF.
Why it would not work with this MoBo is that when fitting the MoBo/sideplate i found the RAM pushing down onto the radiator tank! :mad:
About 1cm too much if i use the "easy" fan fit (will upload some pics for those who may be able to use this mod with better suited motherboards.
Initially i also used the normal Corsair Vengeance RAM modules - too high by far.
And then i tried using their XMS modules - nearly fitted - about 5mm too much height.

Some of the build pictures of this mod coming soon, and then the Mod"B" which i currently am going to use (just a slightly offset radiator - front fan stays the same)

Last edited:
Sorry for the long delay - took some time to get round to uploading the pics i promised.
So let me place some here and then i'll try add some more detail ASAP :)

OK - here are the pics of the Radiator fitted....

1) Above pic is the final layout - actually there were two or three variations, shifting the "sandwich" of fans with radiator - left or right.
Reason was the RAM heatsinks were too close to the radiator bulge. But that was a easy bit and part of the learning curve, just lots of work.
So make sure the ram headers are not going to be in the way - depends on MoBo used - and a "dry" run fitting shows this np.

Also note the physically "smaller" CX power supply - the bigger Antec GX would make this H70 fitting a lot harder to do if not impossible.
Oh - in the final assembly i actually cut nearly the whole rear backplate off the PSU - lol. So the inner Rad fan blows unimpeded into/past the PSU innards.

2) This shows the main reason it all works - the lower or front facing fan is mounted halfway inside the original fan bracket.
It still gets enough air as far as i could test - likely not optimum but 'sufficient'.
I cut two slots into the fan mount corners to 'slip' into the cutout hole, and removed the opposing ends corners - as can be seen in the pic.
The cuts are a hacksaw blade horizontally - same plane as the fan and only because theses fans have continuous mount hole 'covers' - many fans only have the opening and not a 'tunnel' for the mount screws - they would not need any cutting, only the corners removed on one side.

3) Here is another shot of the front fan clearance and the cut off corners can be seen.
Originally - to mount the lot i used some threaded bolt (long screws with their heads cut off will do) - but depending how much 'sideways' the "sandwich" must move - closer or further if one uses the picture - the final position may make screws difficult to fit. However a spot of epoxy or cable ties +- screws worked well.
And no vibrations that i could notice.Or none too bad - i had sponge and grommets inserted but that was a option i chose to leave off.

4) Here is one showing the use of the headless screws/threaded bolts - but NB - the final position was a bit more over to the left - so this pic is the ideal mounting position as all 4 holes into the existing bracket fit in nicely into the respective corners. Moving more left is np for the laft side screws - but then the right is "inside" the existing brackets fan "hole". A large washer works to pinch the edge, or epoxy on the lower fan edge to hold it in (2 x screws are mechanically strong enough - but it is a weighty "sandwich", so use caution!)

5) Ok - here the final position shows the radiator /fans sandwich right down over the lower edge - notice the radiator header tank that protrudes - that is the one "fighting" my RAM headers for space in the first iterations.
I have to say tho: the 'crappy' Intel DH67CF Mobo was all i could get to use at the time (a Z68 is soon going to replace it) - well, the intel is a silly board ass it's temps are very sensitive. Ram at 40 is critical and overall i found it to be a hot board (yes - it is not 'supposed' to be used with a 2600K - so maybe the VRM's would run a tad warmer and is to be expected.
She runs solidly and never a niggle - video at 40C (max when gaming is about 68)
The CPU idles at high 30C to low /mid 50C on a 'typical day (24~27C) Max XPU is about 55 - to maybe 63C - using std 2600K

It's the RAM temps (38~43C that is the bane of my life - the boards own software [which i uninstalled] would screech at 39 or 40C where it lives most of the time. I added a small 60mm fan on my H55 to cool the ram and VRM's - and not yet been inspired enough to add one for this board yet.

Oh, and the little fan below the PSU was not in the final build - it was a "leftover" from my initial attempts to use a slimline CD-Rom.
I was thinking of keeping it for the HDD's - but the video cards - the GTX 460 or 560Ti are both adequate - and at normal to heavy work use they never get over 44 and idle in mid/high 30C. OK - for gaming they up to mid 50's, perhaps low 60'sC. Apologies as i never bother to look once i know they remain well within limits. But CPUID hardwaremonitor max temp log is what i use and that is what i am trying to recall now.

=================================================================

OK - maybe i should add some temp pics too - seeing as it is the most important aspect.(the mechanical is hard but is done for the temps after all)

Temperature pic 1 - best ever temps under ideal conditions

I add these three pics afterwards - because it shows the low temps when the ambient room temp is 22C and then the under load 'normal' temps.
The H70 probably needs more airflow to get and maintain such low temps.
The second temp pic below shows the H70 rig at high load / many apps and 100's of browser tabs all open, videos playing etc.

Temperature Pic 2 - the loaded H70 temps below

Temperature Pic 3 - CPU Info

This third "temp" pic above is some FYI information on the cpu etc

=================================================================

6) The last pic is just to show the rough layout of the cabling - i modded the existing fan bracket edges - and later just tidied them up a bit - but overall cables were no real problem at all. And as i mentioned in another Q11 project i prefer NON-modular PSU's as they have edge mounted cables. Much easier and the already "lowered" or "offset" radiator sandwich allows for the main loom to pass the radiator. (apologies as the pic cut off the top edge where this main loom passes by - see pic5 above to see it better)

Overall the H70 works well. As i am going to revamp it and send the current Intel in for B3 RMA (and a Z upgrade :) ) i will likely use it again....
Or...
The best mini cooling system is apparently the H60. And better than that the Antec Kuhler 620 i think it is called. So then the Antec 920 (also thicker like the H70/H80) would be another prime candidate. My H55 i5760 uses a H50 and it is swell temps wise - about 7C cooler overall than this Intel - so that tells me the use of proper fans - with 2cm spacing and a smaller radiator is more efficient overall. The H70 fans are most likely too close to the rad to allow proper fan air flow. This all is of course IMHO.
So i am favoring the Kuhler 620 and two nice fans (and trusty duct tape to make..the gaps closed into ducts..lol)

As a ps: For cooling the one idea i had at the last build was to mount a large fan in the base underside the Q11 (i LOVE this case!!)
That would create a great airflow into the case up thru the top. (I would close the lower vent holes and see if the airflow improves or not.
The use of laptop HD's makes this so easy i cannot think of using big clunky drives at all anymore. And no HD bracket to impede this "base fan" would make it work pretty neatly - just need a filter for the intake.

Ok - that's it for the H70 build at last - hope it helps someone.
Also I did some other smaller mods like making the CD light blue and fitting the GTX560Ti (Asus) and i will maybe upload some more pics to show these.
NB - VIDEO CARD - the Asus GTX560Ti fits NICELY with no mods! It simply needs to slip in sideways and be patient!
Actually the only part of the card that fits so snugly is the fan shroud - the rear has a bulge over the edge of the card - but it still fits and does not even bulge or deform the front panel - both my Q11's have 560's in now and they work super - the Asus cooling is magic.
(No overclocking and until i get my "Z" boards i may not even bother - if the games play smoothly i'm happy)

(PS - Anyone know if one can fit a mSATA drive (Intel) onto a ITX Z68 - in place of the WiFi? This became possible after seeing how well the tiny N type WiFi USB dongles work - so now the onboard WiFi is not critical anymore. Else the "std" SSD + Traditional large SATA will do i guess.)

Last edited:
Awesome. I plan on upgrading everything into a small form factor case soon, with a water cooled CPU. Thanks for sharing.

The temps were quite good as shown - but then i noticed that during prolonged high use (gaming!) the ambient temps went up to low to mid 50's (Celsius).
Not bad but i like better....

Plus my non B3 Intel H67 was not a happy camper - it is SUPER sensitive about memory heat..must be under 40C. So mine was 43 at worst and 37 at best....and i reckon the VRM's too were complaining!
Why?
Guess one has to remember it is NOT a 95W specced board! So it is not fair to Intel to dis the MoBo - and due to this i am redoing this cube - fitting a Zotac Z68 and a GTX470 (yes - it fits - quite easily actually).
But that means a new project and some better cooling ideas i found that keeps temps low to mid 40C. Will test gaming and then post my initial build process.

Plus the GTX560Ti was actually well behaved and never rose above 73C. Ever! I like this in video cards as 80 and above is too hot for my liking.
My old Lanbox with a modded dual H50 system idles at just over 40C - and high stress she runs 46~52 max on CPU (pending what core one looks at - i920 oc) and 66 max on GPU - THAT i do like and aim for.

So this coming weekend i must re-do my temporary fitted items to their final levels - and sort out the Zotac and its (faulty/non working?) fan controller.
So if i have time and ther is interest in a build progress - although just a rebuild of above - let me know to post it.
And the only reason i am moving from the Corsair H80 to the Kuhler 920 is the software!!!

Don't worry Corsair - i got a H100 too - for "some build" down the road!
Both Corsair and Antec are good (so far the Kuhler software has a s/w driver quirk before it will work tho - be aware - but easy to resolve)

New build over above shown - Items will be:
Lian Li Q11, GTX570 - Zotac Z68, Kuhler 920 - the fat one! :)
With 3 x HD. and a full CD-Rom.
And all will be inside the Q11. Barely!

quick update: i have actually used the msi n570 Frozr III in the above for a few weeks - I had to take the shroud off the MSI and then it fits and works beautifully.
Works fine on all games and temps - except BF3 when at any time in multiplayer only it does a pixelation --> black screen crash of the game.
After 5 min or after and hour, sometimes repeated quickly, sometimes not.

Also i changed the PSU and opened panels for cooling (tho they measure fine) - but alas the darn BF3 quirk still happens.

So i got a EVGA GTX570 HD SC landing here tomorrow. Will swap the cards next weekend and see if it is card related for 100% sure.

I just love the Q11!!!
Even more than my Zalman D503 VFD.
But i detest dust and clogging and blocking everything - so now i must seek a Q11 or better case with massive intakes that have washable filters.
I wish the Q11 had 2 x intake fans - one below another so the case could be 2cm wider and deeper and even higher if need be - that would make SOOOO much difference.
(Even considering buying another Q11 to "merge" two of 'em.Side panels are the problem there then....wonder if the Lian Li A600 or other new ones are better?)

Next post tho i though i must do - may NAS build - into a wooden wine VAT (barrel)!
Just looking for the appropriate place to post some pics. lol

Cheers,
Jan

Last edited:
Back