[Q] LGA1155 motherboard with HDMI and IPMI

Trying to find a motherboard with both of these features is seemingly impossible.

I have an i5 3470 chip ready to go and and going to be building a Xen setup on Arch Linux utilising vt-d for VGA passthrough (Windows gaming VM). I want to use the hd2500 graphics in the cpu for the host to run an XBMC instance (seems a shame to waste the integrated gpu as they are more than capable here).

My two requirements are:

• IPMI
  • HDMI output built-in

Rare request to want both technologies on a motherboard. We are talking about server motherboards nothing else, regular motherboards would never support this message system IPMI. Most server boards I work with are VGA out, a few DVI out.

http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Servers_Workstations/P8BM/

SuperMicro also puts this technology on their motherboards. Most of my builds including servers, I tend to use Asus. Much better success in funtionality.

Why not use VGA to HDMI cable or box (Monoprice).
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?p_id=6191

So many ways to convert video data to almost any connector type format. I use most of them DVI to HDMI cable. VGA to HDMI cable or VGA to DVI. Endless possiblities.

It is a rare request indeed as its for my home media server. The HDMI requirement stems from want audio and video over one cable to an AVR.

It appears I'll have to sacrifice the IPMI component, perhaps buying either a separate GPU if I keep it and pass that through to a VM or buy a much cheaper mono with HDMI (as rock most likely) with an external IPMI facility.

Can you recommend any such external IP KVM equipment with full hardware control (specifically interested in remote power resets without being present).

Yes, the AMT component of vPro provide the IPMI functionality. No dedicated NIC, but can't have it all unfortunately.

Yes, the AMT component of vPro provide the IPMI functionality. No dedicated NIC, but can't have it all unfortunately.

So before I buy this thing, could you please explain to a luddite like me how it works and how I'd access the mobo remotely? Any why is not having a dedicated NIC a bad thing, to me it sounds like an advantage!

VNC?

tbh i just need remote power management and an ssh console. the rest is easy.

In the BIOS, you'll set the IP and username/password for remote management. Point your web browser to it and you'll be able to power cycle quite easily. If you poke about Intel's documentation, you should get a better idea (and see some screenshots). As for the dedicated NIC, some just prefer that.

A further question, what software do I need on the other end to control it?

How do I send the power commands? One blog seems to think I need to pay $99 for realVNC pro. Surely not?!

Power cycling can be done via the web browser. I never used the VNC component of it with my board, but I don't see why a free VNC client wouldn't work.

Trying to find a motherboard with both of these features is seemingly impossible.

I have an i5 3470 chip ready to go and and going to be building a Xen setup on Arch Linux utilising vt-d for VGA passthrough (Windows gaming VM).
I want to use the hd2500 graphics in the cpu for the host to run an XBMC instance (seems a shame to waste the integrated gpu as they are more than capable here).

My two requirements are:

• IPMI
  • HDMI output built-in

Not that uncommon. Just look for one of the Q series chipset desktop boards. Here's an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128557

Power cycling can be done via the web browser. I never used the VNC component of it with my board, but I don't see why a free VNC client wouldn't work.

You may still be able to get the following:
Intel DQ77MK

It supports:
- vPro / Intel AMT
- Dedicated NIC for AMT (82579LM) + 1 port 82574L (i believe).
- DVI-D and DVI-I

VNC Plus is required for full AMT/remote control functions.
I have a pair of Intel Q67 boards (DQ67SW3), I have never used a web browser to connect to them ... maybe that is vendor specific though.

I forgot to mention:

It will be interesting to see if you can pass integrated graphics and still use AMT.

i won't be passing through the host graphics, only the pcie graphics.

the host graphics will be used directly by Arch to drive an XBMC instance.

When you look carefully at the block diagrams and the specs it becomes clear that the management controller chipsets contain their own graphics controllers rather than using the cpu/chipset graphics. I guess they do it this way because many server platforms don't include cpu/chipset graphics.

I guess they thought having seperate outputs for the management controller graphics controller and the cpu graphics controller would be too confusing.

Let us know how you like vPro in the end!

I'm in a similar situation and i'm torn between a IPMI and a vPro capable motherboard. Both have their pros and cons, but i like the better connectivity options of the vPro. I'm just not sure if vPro will do what i want in the end (mainly remote power on/off and RDP).

Let us know how you like vPro in the end!

I'm in a similar situation and i'm torn between a IPMI and a vPro capable motherboard. Both have their pros and cons, but i like the better connectivity options of the vPro. I'm just not sure if vPro will do what i want in the end (mainly remote power on/off and RDP).

Both will allow for remote power on/off.
RDP? Depends on running OS.

I think that you'll find that if you pass the on die graphics through then the kvm side of amt will stop working or you'll just get control of the passed through vm. The same as it doesn't work if you have an external graphics card installed and don't use the on die.

That's definetly true for (dell) Q67 can't comment on Q77 as i've never tried it but have several intel DQ67 and DQ77 boards running perfectly with AMT for out of band (ish) management.

If you are using for a media server/player, I think you'd be happier with a server motherboasrd and a minimal video card that also does hdmi. There are several that will even fit in a low profile box. They generally ship with a bracket that offsets the vga to the side to account for having hdmi, dvi, and vga. The plus is that the dedicated graphic card of even a lower powered ATI 5450 or so can easily run flash and uses minimal power.

I use the Asrock Q87M vpro;
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q87M vPro/?cat=Specifications

Was about £98 on Amazon. Although had to use the customizer in order to get network drivers installed.

There is no option to pass through the onboard sata controller which was a bit disappointing.

Had a few issues with the KVM though, seems the vPro interface just disappears after about half an hour.

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA-Q77M-D2H-Motherboard-Express-forxpress/dp/B008TZXRB2

As you know, I purchased this motherboard. In short, it works exactly as I'd hoped!

The vPro business is fantastic, RealVNC plus required but I can view the hosts display output, and being able to power cycle from a browser is fantastic. I wish this was available as a full ATX board but alas, only mATX.

My dom0 was Arch, which installed without at hitch on 15GB of my 60GB SSD. I then created an LVM structure in the remaining 45GB upon which I installed Windows 8.1.

Using my reboot scripts from my blog http://blog.ktz.me I successfully managed to get things working. List of hardware:

• CPU - i5 3470
  • Mobo - Gigabyte Q77M-D2H (supports vt-d and vPro confirmed)
  • SSD - 60GB OCZ Vertex 3
  • RAM - 8GB Corsair Value
  • GPU - HD6450 (VGA passthrough usage by Windows VM) confirmed working

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back