Q: how to set up another win 7 boot config....

gemini8026

Limp Gawd
Hey all. I use my laptop for general surfing as well as recording audio.

When I record audio, I like to have everything turned of, and only the needed drivers and such loading up.

Is there a config I can use, or a special boot that allows me to set up an option of which boot I want when windows 7 loads up? Id like a normal boot with all my regular drivers and config, and a special boot without a lot of the extra un-needed fluff for optimal audio performance. Thanks for any help!

Many bios's have multiple profiles, you could setup two different ones. Generally you'd only be able to disable integrated hardware though.

Why would such an obfuscated configuration help audio performance?

bascially, realtime audio recording with ASIO requires a well set up computer. You strive for low latency and as few audio glitches as possible.

I have a Lenovo Y460 (I5, 4gb) and it's got lots of power, but there are also lots of things such as Bluetooth, the switchable ATI graphics, Wifi, etc. that I like to use normally, but would like to turn off when I am recording my audio.

i was hoping to just be able to have another option when the computer boots, my normal profile and an audio profile.

doesn't hardware profiles do this?

AFAIK you can create a hardware profile and disable any device you want in the device manager.

At boot you can select which profile to use.

ooops feature is missing since vista, sorry.

You can install windows 7 in another partiotion or use a virtual disk. Since 7 can boot from a vhd, you can create one and disable the hardware you don't need. You could also install only the software needed so there's no unnecesary programs running.

You can install windows 7 in another partiotion or use a virtual disk. Since 7 can boot from a vhd, you can create one and disable the hardware you don't need. You could also install only the software needed so there's no unnecesary programs running.

this wont give him the low latency he is looking for however... and depending on exactly what hes doing, it may not pass the port(s) correctly to the VM

example, i have an older creative nomad that i love, but creative decided that xp was the only os they where going to make drivers for. im running vista, i can get certain features to work, but for the most part...it dosent. i have XP setup in a vm while xp can see the device, vista is still interfering somewhere and it works even less in xp.

the other option i could think of would be to put a second install of 7 on the same drive. when the pc loads the boot loader it should ask you what which install you want to use... because it is the same pc, you shouldnt run into licensing issues as the hardware is the same. just different profiles in the second install, only install the drivers and software for the apps you need to use.

or, if you have a laptop that has quick and easy access to the harddrive, buy a second HD install to that as mentioned above, and just swap them out as need be.

thanks guys. I was hoping for a relatively easy way of doing a "one button" solution, but at this stage its gonna be selective booting, which isnt that bad, but im suprized Microsoft didnt give us an easy solution for this.

Back