• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q about ram voltage

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
1,039
So I've got a 2180 running at 3.2GHz on some Corsair ram. FSB is at 320MHz @ 2.5 ratio to the ram (so ram is at 800). I'm not at the computer right now, but I think I've set the timing to 4-4-4-12 and have the ram voltage at 2.1. I realize, as per the spec sheet linked above, the ram voltage should be at 2.1 running at those speeds. So couple of questions:

1. If my timings were lax, say 5-5-5-18 but I ran at the same FSB(320) I could lower the voltage as well, right?

2. If the ram speed exceeds the FSB (say multi is at 3.0, so ram is 960MHz but the FSB is 800), would I then also have to increase the voltage? Also, would relaxing the timing allow for a lower voltage necessary for the ram to run stably?

3. If I were to maintain the 4-4-4-12 timing, the 320MHz FSB, and the 2.50 multiplier, but increased the voltage to the ram, would this cause instability or simply feed the ram unncessary voltage and diminish the life of the ram?

4. Finally, running the ram at what I currently have it set at is within it's spec, correct? That is, the only thing that's running faster on my motherboard is the CPU and the FSB, but not the ram (since the multi maintains the 800MHz of the ram)?

Thanks for any help.
 
1) Maybe. Depends on how good your RAM is at handling lower latencies.

2) Maybe. Depends on whether or not your RAM can handle speeds higher than it's rated for, and if so, by how much.

3) Instability is doubtful, but the life of the RAM will likely be shortened if you raise the voltage out of spec.

4) Yes, it's in spec.
 
Back
Top