Q&A on Office 2007 Pro OEM "MLK" for system builders...

rush24t3

2[H]4U
I've been tasked with building a few PCs for people and they want Office 2007 Pro, as cheaply as they can get it legally.

I found Office 2007 Pro OEM "MLK" version on NewEgg, and was wondering if it's as simple as it sounds. Buy the license, download the Office suite and install? Or do I need special credentials besides being a system builder?

TIA

Damn that's a nice price.

Remember though that Newegg recently opened up a Business site ... you probably have to have an account with that department to order some of these licenses.

Yeah, it's a good chunk of savings from buying the retail version, which is what I'll have to do if this OEM version is restricted somehow.

I inquired directly to NewEgg, and this is what I got in response:

Unfortunately Newegg employees aren't technically certified. We unable to provide any technical or product support. We definitely don't want to provide you with wrong information and cause any type of inconvenience. Please feel free to contact the manufacturer at 1-800-642-7676 for further assistance. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

That key is for an office ready pc. Meaning one that comes with an office trial, you get a little card that has an activation key.

The only way to download that trial software is if your a microsoft partner, or know someone who is.

Its the Office Preinstall kit here http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=552859

So if I have contact who can get that trial installer image, I could install the trial on the newly-built PCs, then provide each owner with the activation key that would change the trial to a full version, or is that somehow circumventing the OEM process?

So if I have contact who can get that trial installer image, I could install the trial on the newly-built PCs, then provide each owner with the activation key that would change the trial to a full version, or is that somehow circumventing the OEM process?

If your building and selling the PC, technically you are the system builder, so you assume the support roles, this would likely be legal.

The process was painless. I ordered the OEM MLK, went to microsoft.com/office/backup, put in the key and downloaded the Office all-in-one installer, installed it then added the key, activated, voila.

Back