PX2611W 26" vs 2490WUXI 24"

aPZDsx

n00b
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204035111&loc=101

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204235069&loc=101

I'm looking to replace my 22" CRT with a widescreen LCD, but I can't decide between these 2 LCDs. The PX2611W seems to be the better buy, bigger screen, lower response time, and is cheaper, but I've read the 2490WUXI has amazing picture quality.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Planar because it seems to have more pros than the NEC. I'm not quite sure which panels these monitors are using. I'm guessing both have S-IPS. Is there something about the NEC I'm missing?

both your links are broken, but i'd probably choose the planar. have you looked into the doublesight 26"? looks nice for the money.

NEC and Planar 26"' use the same panel, which are based on the same technology (H-IPS panels) but a little different from the 24" NEC. I think its really hard to go wrong with either.

both your links are broken, but i'd probably choose the planar. have you looked into the doublesight 26"? looks nice for the money.

Ah, thanks. Fixed them.

I have just read ToastyX's post on the DoubleSight thread and it appears that it and the Planar are nearly identical, so I will buy it instead. That makes the dollar gap between the 26" and the 24" even greater.

http://www.buy.com/prod/doublesight...ms-800-1-1920-x-1200/q/loc/101/206689065.html

Is there any significant advantage the NEC has? If not, I'm going with the DoubleSight.

Thanks for the responses.

Doublesight DS263N, it's the Planar with 1080p over VGA, with same OEM.

And same Panel.

NEC 2690WUXI does use the same panel but with an A-TW polarizing filter.

The 2490 has three advantages...

1) An internal 12 bit LUT

2) True sRGB gamut

3) The polizer filter mentioned above

Whether that is enough to justify the price is your call.;)

Without the A-TW polarizer you see a slight white glow on thje sides when you vioew really close or off axis

persisting1 said:
What will you be using the monitor for?

Gaming/Watching DVDs. I do work with photoshop from time to time, but not enough to sacrifice any gaming peformance.

If I could, I'd buy a widescreen CRT, but they don't seem to be in production anymore. Are the three advantages Luthorcrow mentioned worth the loss of response time/screen size?

DRCRAWFISH said:
Without the A-TW polarizer you see a slight white glow on thje sides when you vioew really close or off axis
I currently see a very faint glow in my CRT monitor when white meets black, is it the same thing? Could just be my eyes of course.

Luthorcrow said:

2) True sRGB gamut

I have no idea what those 2 do. I'm a noob :D

Gaming/Watching DVDs. I do work with photoshop from time to time, but not enough to sacrifice any gaming peformance.

Get the Planar/DoubleSight.

Almost no imput lag. You'll be happy with this.

Depends. They both have the same resolution so pixel size will obviously be larger with the 26". This may or may not be an issue depending on how far away from your monitor you are sitting.

Input lag is not a factor with the 2490 with overdrive enabled, and I am assuming the same applies with the Planar. I would decide on which one to buy strictly on how far away from your face the monitor will be.

Then again, at that price difference it might just be worth it just to bust a hole in your wall if you need to set the Planar further back in case you don't have enough space. :)

Does Overdrive really reduce the lag on the LCD2490WUXi-BK? I also keep getting different specs from difference sources.

Buy.com has the g2g response time @ 6.5ms
Newegg.com has it @ 8ms
Another source I can't recall had it at 7ms

Additionally, the SV version of the NEC here:

http://www.buy.com/prod/nec-display...n-lcd-monitor-24-6ms/q/loc/101/204088978.html

has it @ 6ms, yet the LCD2490WUXI-BKSV & LCD2490WUXI-BK are supposed to be identical, only shipped with different software.

Some people who own it say it's great for gaming, others say it's not. I've also read the DoubleSight panel has bad image quality and backlight bleeding. There seems to be something wrong with all of them. o_o /hugs CRT

Any other displays similiar to the LCD2490WUXi-BK I should be looking at?

I appreciate all the help everyone has given me so far.

Old panel, lag, pass.

I have no idea what those 2 do. I'm a noob :D

The 2490 has three advantages...

2) True sRGB gamut
From your responses the LUT may not be a selling point. Basically it does two things, one it provides 12 bit gamma correction for image processing and if you use the Spectra monitoring calibration software it loads your monitor profile into the interanl LUT in the monitor vs the one in your GPU.

The second, is a bigger issue for all users but is it is a problem all wide gamut monitors have. I'll avoid the long explanation other than to say all wide gamut monitors will display progressively incorrect colors by degree that the gamut exceeds 72% (sRGB) outside of coloraware applications (Photoshop, etc). That said, the Planar or the Doublesight are both 92% which is closer to sRGB than newer displays by Dell hitting the market. At 92%, the effect is still somewhat subtle so for your average user it might not be the big of a deal.

After reading your responses, I would say just get the Doublesight. Its the same panel, made by the same manufacture in Korea as the Planar. You will get a great deal ($700), color and image quality that blows away anything else in the sub $1000 market and as little lag as you can get on a LCD. The NEC because its has LUT will always have more input lag than the DS/Planar. That said, even with the fastest panels you are going to get a least one frame of lag. But unless you are a truly elite player in a very fast FPS, I doubt you would notice.

Does Overdrive really reduce the lag on the LCD2490WUXi-BK?
Overdrive is a gimmick that doesn't work on any panel. All panels with LUTs will have more input lag. All panels with image scalers will have more lag. The Planar/DS has little lag as you can get on a LCD because there is no additional image processing circuitry.

aPZDsx - I play lots of fast first person shooters on my 2490WUXi, and coming from a CRT I can honestly say that input lag, if it is there, has been a non-issue for me. I can rail local nightmare bots in Quake 3 just as well as I did with my CRT, and playing games like Team Fortress 2 online, zipping around with the scout, again, I can't tell. I think it is fine for gaming. Your biggest issue will be driving that 1440 or 1920 resolution to give a consistent framerate.

I've decided to go with the DS-263N. It's cheaper and (apparently) faster. I plan on returning it if it doesn't match up to my CRT (high standards, I know), and will order the NEC to give it a shot. Hopefully the widescreen view is worth the hassle.

Thank you all for the your comments and suggestions! :)

I plan on returning it if it doesn't match up to my CRT (high standards, I know)

Dude, I fully relate. It took me ages to get fully on the LCD bandwagon, and to do it it took a monitor that was major $$$. Good luck!

provantage would prolly beat that 2490 price by a good margin.

i havent checked it lately but i got mine for just over a grand.

or

you'd prolly pay the same as the newegg price and get the colormeter/software package included if you order from nec

provantage would prolly beat that 2490 price by a good margin.

i havent checked it lately but i got mine for just over a grand.

or

you'd prolly pay the same as the newegg price and get the colormeter/software package included if you order from nec

You're right, the difference in price is because the Newegg.com model has the calibration software. The 26" model is about $75 more than the 24" on Provantage both without the software.

Is there any difference between the 24" and 26" besides price, size, and pixel pitch?

You're right, the difference in price is because the Newegg.com model has the calibration software. The 26" model is about $75 more than the 24" on Provantage both without the software.

Is there any difference between the 24" and 26" besides price, size, and pixel pitch?

the 26" is known to have a number of problems associated with it, that is the only difference i know.

The 26" is actually slightly cheaper, bigger, and there doesn't seem to be any other noticeable difference besides pixel pitch.

You're not comparing apples to apples. The 2490 you quote is the SV version which comes with a colorimeter and SpectraView II calibration software. The LCD2690WUXIBK-SV is a bit more than the 2490 SV. Also, I concur that Provantage seems to have the best prices so far, and I don't remember hearing complaints about their service.

Like everyone else, I'm having a very difficult time deciding between the 24 and 26 due to the "wide gamut" issue. I'm right on the fence between wanting wide gamut for photo processing and not for everything else.

Dell has it cheaper and has a better return policy. $1149

Provantage has it with the Spectra kit for $1186 (non returnable). So if you get a good, better deal, if you don't then it would be up to what NEC will do for you.

Back