PWs when you die?

Gomar

Limp Gawd
How do you deal with your emails, online accounts, profiles, facebook, etc. if your time to dance with the Grim Reaper is coming soon?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/t...mportant-for-your-online-assets-too.html?_r=0

Has anyone heard of or used these services?
Why cant one just save everything in a text file to a CD-R, and ask next of kin
to keep in a secure location. If you buy the farm, the text file will say what to do.

Ifcourse, I wouldnt want the ball&chain to read my emails, nor access my stash of u know vat. Thus, all that is private is encrypted, and if I kick the bucket, oh well, into the trash it all goes.

I have a similar dilemma. The biggest issue is the dynamic nature of passwords- some need to be changed often, and others should be changed often.

I keep a list of accounts and passwords in SharePoint. Getting that list to next of kin or business partners is the clincher.

I'm building up a keepass file and will her the master password shortly.
That will be the easy part.

Remembering all the places I go, their sign ins, and not forgetting to actually put them in KeePass is the real challenge.

Put all your logins in a KeePass file. Put the master password to the KeePass file in an envelope in a safety deposit box. List the envelope in your will as to who you want to have your passwords. You could even go as far as to keep a copy of the KeePass file in your safety deposit box.

I just keep my documented in a safe deposit box. Really the only ones that matter are the financial accounts.

I do the KeePass thing too. But, as mentioned, keeping all my logins stored is a challenge.

Isn't this pretty much a non-issue except for email? Just use the "Forgot Password" link on each website where access is needed. No need to write anything down/keep anything up to date. To me the more important list is the companies with which I am doing business. How would my next of kin know which banks I am using, what credit accounts I have or who my mortgage is through? That list should be short and relatively static. Beyond my bills and bank accounts, what all is needed? My password to [H] is certainly not relevant to them.

Last edited:
Back