Pwnerized JPGs, what do do now?

Sovereign

2[H]4U
I have a 500GB RAID0 array as storage for my main rig. I throw hundreds of gigabytes of data on it without worrying about a thing. Today, I attempted to open a JPG file. Photoshop said "New File" listing the dimensions of the file I was attempting to open. I tried Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. "No Preview Available." What in the name of...no other files on this drive are damaged. The array shows up as healthy in nVidia's RAID manager. How can I fix these JPGs? The files still show up as their usual size (140kB, 2.12MB etc) but have no apparent content! HELP!

You've tried chkdsk, etc?

Tried copying a file to another drive?

BTW, why possesed you to store data you needed on a RAID 0 array???

I have a 500GB RAID0 array as storage for my main rig. I throw hundreds of gigabytes of data on it without worrying about a thing. Today, I attempted to open a JPG file. Photoshop said "New File" listing the dimensions of the file I was attempting to open. I tried Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. "No Preview Available." What in the name of...no other files on this drive are damaged. The array shows up as healthy in nVidia's RAID manager. How can I fix these JPGs? The files still show up as their usual size (140kB, 2.12MB etc) but have no apparent content! HELP!

Have you tried to find out if the files work for someone else? It might be that your .. i'm grasping for the term here - ability to open JPGs at all via the OS (this is not the same as being able to view them through IE) is corrupted. I've seen it happen before. I had a client who was viral, and all of his graphics, mp3, and video files would not work ON HIS machine. Something was sitting in a background process that was affecting that subfunction on his computer.

Try sending a file to a friend and see if they can open it. Tell them to virus scan the file first.

If you can't find someone to check one out for you, send me a suspect file @
an email address I will PM you with.

It's just those files. I think I just owned myself...the files were encrypted from a previous XP install! Now, I use the same password, so I figured I wouldn't lose access. Apparently I have. I need a decryption utility...

You need to have the private key files from when you encrypted the files in the other Windows XP install to be able to decrypt the data.

Otherwise, you're pretty much SOL.

Wouldn't the certificate be the same if I have the exact same configuration that I did on the previous Windows installation? Same username, same password, same hardware?

I found some undecryptable keys from the old system. I have the password to these keys and have my Administrator Account setup as the Designated Recovery Agent. Is there any program for retrieving keys and then feeding them to the DRA so that account can try to recover the data?

Back