PWM Fan Control

Activate: AMD

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been using the Asus Fan Xpert utility that came with my motherboard (M6H) for a while, and am curious if there is something better for my purposes. My system is watercooled with a custom loop that includes 2x GPU's in addition to the CPU. My radiator fans are controlled by a single PWM channel run through a splitter. I would like to have a custom defined temperature controlled ramp for the fan speed, and this is something that can currently be accomplished within the Fan Xpert software. The problem is, the only temperature that can be used for the ramp is CPU temp. For games that stress the CPU, (ex: BF4) this is fine, as it will ramp up the way I want and keep everything cool, but there are many games that don't hit the CPU hard enough to kick the fan into higher speeds. Is there a software PWM control utility that will allow you to set custom fan profiles based on GPU temperatures? I know MSI Afterburner has the ability to do this for GPU fans, but I don't know of anything that can do this for fans being run off a motherboard PWM fan header. Basically, I just want Fan Xpert to allow me to switch which temperature it uses from CPU to GPU.

If the load goes to the GPU and not so much the CPU, then why do you want the CPU cooler to ramp up in such a scenario?

If the load goes to the GPU and not so much the CPU, then why do you want the CPU cooler to ramp up in such a scenario?
Because I'm using a custom WC loop where all heat loads are being dissipated by the same system. Ideally I'd like it to ramp based on either cpu or gpu temps depending on which is getting hot, but considering I don't run too many applications that only hit the CPU, the GPU temp is a better proxy for overall WC loop temps than CPU temp.

Ooooooooh...OK, now I understand. Totally my bad, man.

How does your loop flow...CPU to GPUs to Rad, or GPU to CPU to Rad?

I would like to know if you find something. I originally was using the Corsair Link system, but that thing is garbage and a complete piece of shit that doesn't work at all. So after wasting $60 with Corsair I am moving to a Swiftech PWM splitter that will run fans off of the Motherboard PWM header like you.

Ooooooooh...OK, now I understand. Totally my bad, man.

How does your loop flow...CPU to GPUs to Rad, or GPU to CPU to Rad?
GPU to RAD to CPU, but it really makes no difference in component temps.
There might be something in this ROG thread that could be of use.

Hmm, that thread has some ideas, but in the end it appears that nobody came up with the solution I'm looking for. As was mentioned in that thread, I had considered using the PWM fan header off the GPU and using afterburner instead of Fan Xpert, but the header is obstructed by my full cover block (without modding) plus I would have to mod the swiftech splitter's connector to be one of those low profile fan connectors and then would have this random wire lead going across my motherboard (not a deal breaker, just annoying).

All I need is for Fan Xpert to be able to read the GPU temp and simply have the ability to change the X axis on the custom fan curves to be GPU temp instead of CPU temp! So simple, yet apparently unavailable in any software utility :(

I don't think there is any way, unfortunately...Fan Xpert is very limited with not being able to assign what sensor controls the CPU speed. I can assign GPU temp or a slurry of other sensors to case fan PWM control, but CPU PWM control is locked down for ONLY processor temp...damn it. This is a clear shortcoming on Asus' part for those that do run a unified WC loop like yourself.

SpeedFan used to be able to do that fwiw. I haven't had much luck on it recently.

Does your mobo support an external sensor? If so, a thought would be ad a coolant temp sensor and set up the curve off of that because then it would ramp up whether the cpu or the gpu is heating up.

I really want to see more motherboards with features like Asus Thermal Radar and being allowed to control the entire motherboard fans by any of the temperature sensors in the mobo, even things like PCH, PCI-E, VRM etc... i use since day one and work perfect to control all fans with custom fan curves controlled by temperatures..

Does your mobo support an external sensor? If so, a thought would be ad a coolant temp sensor and set up the curve off of that because then it would ramp up whether the cpu or the gpu is heating up.
I do not see anything in the documentation for the maximus vi hero that shows it does. not really a surprise considering its more "budget" standing in the ROG lineup

Back