PVA vs. TN panels - EIZO 2231W

n0_sh1t

n00b
Joined
Jul 11, 2004
Messages
11
Hej all,
I am currently looking for a flat screen display for a friend who is working semi-professionally with the Adobe Creative Suite 3. Most of the time, he creates large posters using InDesign and Photoshop.

Since he gives the posters to a professional print shop it is very important that the colors on the screen look exactly how they look afterwards on paper. However, so far he had a cheap TFT panel which sometimes lead to unmeant surprises. Thus, the thinks of buying a new TFT panel, but this time he wants to invest in something better, e.g. a S-PVA panel. One flat screen which did quite well in the tests was the EIZO S2231W.

My questions are now whether this panel is a good choice or if there are any other panels which are better in the same price range. Secondly, I am not sure what advantages a (S-)PVA panel over a TN-panel has. I have read that contrast and colors are much better, but do the colors of a (S-)PVA panel resemble the colors actually printed on the paper. Third, how can I setup the colors on the monitor to resemble real colors on paper? Is it possible by getting a sample of e.g. 3 RGB colors from the print shop and hold them next to the monitor and then setup the colors accordingly with the help of your eyes. Do special calibration tools or software exist? Can I setup the colors in that small steps which might be needed to resemble the real colors?
Thanks for your help!
Take care.
 
I prefer IPS, I would get an NEC 2490 or 2690 instead in that price range (I have the 2490). The NECs are available with a calibration system that can match the monitor color temperatue/lighting etc...
 
Hej Snowdog,
thanks for the proposal, but unfortunately both NEC panels exceed the available budget. :-(
 
One flat screen which did quite well in the tests was the EIZO S2231W.
But it did not as good after the test. See EIZO S2231W Review thread.
My questions are now whether this panel is a good choice
No.

I am not sure what advantages a (S-)PVA panel over a TN-panel has.
http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

if there are any other panels which are better in the same price range.
Price range differs. Are you from Argentina, Malta?

how can I setup the colors on the monitor to resemble real colors on paper? Is it possible by getting a sample of e.g. 3 RGB colors from the print shop and hold them next to the monitor and then setup the colors accordingly with the help of your eyes.
No. It's not posiible.
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

Do special calibration tools or software exist?
Yes, they do. It's a Must.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eye_one_display2.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lacie_blue-eye_2.htm

Apple Cinema 23" could be an option. Old reliable classic.
Also HP 2475W - coming soon.
They differ in color gamut. Your friend, not you, has to understand what it means and what is better for his work.
Both monitors are more affordable than top NECs.
 
Thanks albovin for the great post! Helped me alot!

My naturally next question is, which other 22" flat screen is a reasonable alternative to the EIZO.

I read about the Lenovo L220x and the HP2275W.

I still wonder whether the discussed problems with a green/red color shift on the left and right side are really that serious. Is this just hot air or does it actually pose a problem while working?

Take care!
 
I think your friend should definitely go for an IPS panel monitor.
I agree with albovin, HP LP2475w shoudl be a good choice, especially considering the price.
 
Back
Top