• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Putting together a new VM build

cnick79

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
1,836
I am looking to build a new PC to either run ESXI or Linux with VirtualBox as needed. The only VM I have planned so far is a Usenet indexer with Couch Potato, sabnzd, and sickbeard. I do web dev so I might spin-up a web server or two if I don't use XAMPP. This will probably act as my main rig until I replace my old Q6600 gaming rig.

Here's what I have spec'ed out so far:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 ($179.99)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-970-D3 ($88.24)
RAM: 32 GB G.SKILL F3-1600C9Q-32GXM ($184.99)
CASE: Fractal Node 605 ($129.99)
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620 Modular ($79.99)
HD: I have a NAS for large storage and/or a Samsung 840 SSD (to be purchased)
VIDEO: reuse my GTX560 if need-be
 
Last edited:
The CPU and Motherboard support IOMMU so that's a good hit, just gotta make sure its enabled in the BIOS. I'm interested to see if your GTX560 will do hardware passthrough. Make sure your motherboard is Rev 3 before purchasing.
 
How do I know if the mobo is Rev 3? I was going to order from Amazon because I saved on shipping over the egg. I'm also not 100% sure if I am going even bother with esxi.
 
How do I know if the mobo is Rev 3? I was going to order from Amazon because I saved on shipping over the egg. I'm also not 100% sure if I am going even bother with esxi.

You can see it in the product description. Assuming this is the motherboard you are looking at on Amazon, it is Revision 3. So you look good.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yup, that's the one. I really want a micro atx board but they don't seem to support 32gb and Sata 3.
 
The last piece I've been putting off on is the SSD. Should I get the 840 Pro or Non-Pro drive?
 
You need IOPS not I/O necessarily. The IOPS are so high on either drive I doubt you will notice the difference if you choose a SSD.
 
I have newznab hitting ~150 groups to 1600 days back with sphinx and percona all running on traditional HDDs without any noticable performance hit, but the only user on it is me.

In my case I have the host sitting on a non-pro 840, and mounted /var/www to the HDD for space considerations.
 
Back
Top