Putting this problem to rest

I am having a problem resolving host names on my xp box. I can simply put the ip address in and it works, but when I use the host name it takes a long time to resolve or doesn't at all. Where would I start? Hosts file?

Who's your ISP? Can you put in static DNS'es in your IP settings? When did this start happening? Did you change anything or load anything? What about spyware or virus check?

i have run all the spyware programs i have, no virus. it is just really slow to resolve host names. my isp is cox, i already did a ipconfig /all and it is obtaining the correct ip addresses for the dns servers... they are the same information the router has.. which is valid for all my other machines accept for this one. I check to see if the dns service was running in windows, which it is. I am not sure what the next step is...

I will tell you a little more about my setup. I have cox which is shared via a linksys wireless router, and I have all my clients hooked up to.. I am just have an issue on one of the clients resolving dns

Back