Putting in a q6600

webbed

Weaksauce
When I was putting in my cpu it seemed like I had to use alot of force to secure the cpu in the socket and now when I power on the computer only the fans spin on the heatsink for the cpu and the videocard. I'm pretty sure the motherboard is dead but is there a possibility I did something to the cpu?

Sounds stupid, but make sure its orientated correctly.....take it back out and be sure no pins on the board are bent....
They do take a bit of force to close the CPU clamp..but not too much.....

on another note...I installed a Q6600 yesterday and have not been able to get my computer stable since..its starting to piss me off..:(

When I was putting in my cpu it seemed like I had to use alot of force to secure the cpu in the socket and now when I power on the computer only the fans spin on the heatsink for the cpu and the videocard. I'm pretty sure the motherboard is dead but is there a possibility I did something to the cpu?

Is your motherboard Bios support Q6600 at the moment or do you need the latest Bios? If you have the G0 stepping, you might need a latest Bios or Bios that support this rev G0. The only way to see if your motherboard is dead is to replace it with your old CPU to see if your computer will start up. If your old CPU starts up, it either mean your motherboard Bios doesn't support the Q6600 or the Q6600 is dead.

depending on what board you are using. P35 based boards are not having this sort of problem

if your running 965 975 boards and that can support Quads. You need the latest bios update

The motherboard I'm using is an Abit IP35. I dont have another cpu to use to check it with so I went out today and bought a Asus P5K. The Asus started up fine and I was able to get into the bios. It saw what cpu I was using and all of my ram showed up so I guess the Abit was dead. So unless there's a problem with the abit and the cpu I'm going to RMA it and bring the Asus back to the store.

Back