• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Putting IDE drive in a SCSI server

Eiolon

Gawd
Joined
Apr 6, 2005
Messages
928
My work has a Dell PowerEdge and it is SCSI only with no IDE controllers. My boss (don't ask why) wants to put a IDE drive with the SCSI. The OS will be run on the SCSI but the data for what he wants on the server will be stored on the IDE.

Now, I've never done this before but I've heard numerous horror stories. Since there are no IDE controllers, would a PCI expansion card such as this work for the IDE controller?

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305320&pfp=BROWSE
 
I'd expect it would work. Another option is a SCSI-IDE adapter card stuck on the back of each drive.
If cost is the reason for using IDE drives and the machine has a raid controller (particularly one that can do raid 5), you could also look at some refurb SCSI drives. I've had good luck with them. Actually, I've had better luck with them than I've had with new IDE drives... :rolleyes: Just get a couple spares and raid them so if one fails it doesn't take all your data out with it and you've got a replacement on hand.
 
Eiolon said:
My work has a Dell PowerEdge and it is SCSI only with no IDE controllers. My boss (don't ask why) wants to put a IDE drive with the SCSI. The OS will be run on the SCSI but the data for what he wants on the server will be stored on the IDE.

Now, I've never done this before but I've heard numerous horror stories. Since there are no IDE controllers, would a PCI expansion card such as this work for the IDE controller?
If you're buying new you might as well go with an SATA mirror, especially if that data is super important. If not, then at least be sure to backup whatever is on it nightly or weekly at the very least. Again, if whatever's going to be on it is important in the slightest. If not, your ass will get burned.

*shudder*

Something better and less than half the cost: http://www.dealsonic.com/sysiimchseat.html

If he's still adamant on going PATA ( :rolleyes: ), then google for a Silicon Image 680 based chipset. They are on DealSonic but on backorder...SIL-0680
 
You can stick in a PATA/SATA PCI controller card in and run the drives that way. Personally if that is used as a server I'd stick with a SCSI drive.
 
Thanks for the input everyone.

Unfortunately, we need 2x 400GB IDE drives installed. That would cost too much for SCSI which I just found out for his reason.

We have to get the PCI card from CompUSA because we have a gov. contract with them for sales of computer parts. That's the only reason why I chose that one. If you can find a better controller card on their site then that would be great!
 
Back
Top