Putting first loop together

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, getting my first loop together, i thought I had ordered the right fittings and tube but the tubing is super tight to get onto the conpression fitting.
I ordered EK Torque STC 10/16 (5/8) fittings, and for my soft tube, I bought 10/16 3/8 ID 5/8 OD soft tubbing. But it just seems really tight to get onto the fitting, like i really have to twist to get it on. See pics. Thanks for any help.
image.jpg

image.jpg

5815BB06-CC8C-454F-A12D-21E9C394B45B.jpeg

F6A886B3-F623-4F8D-8EA4-6C9BA5D43AF3.jpeg

76E4A488-E13D-4765-B6A5-29AF72B92DFB.jpeg

Last edited:
yeah but it looks like youre makin it work. wall thickness look way thick. what were the dimensions of the tube and fittings you ordered?

yeah but it looks like youre makin it work. wall thickness look way thick. what were the dimensions of the tube and fittings you ordered?

EK fittings are 10/16, with reccomended tubing size of 10/16 (3/8 - 5/8) which is what i bought. Tube is also EK. I didnt expect the tubing to slide on, but damn it takes some twisting forsure.

EK fittings are 10/16, with reccomended tubing size of 10/16 (3/8 - 5/8) which is what i bought. Tube is also EK. I didnt expect the tubing to slide on, but damn it takes some twisting forsure.
Put some lube on those. Seriously. I use PTFE Superlube. Makes for much easier going and better seals.

Put some lube on those. Seriously. I use PTFE Superlube. Makes for much easier going and better seals.

Will do, thanks for the tip. Also, do you recommend putting the fittings on the block, pump, etc, and then attaching the tubes, or reverse -> tubes to fittings, then screwing into block, pump etc. Thanks

Will do, thanks for the tip. Also, do you recommend putting the fittings on the block, pump, etc, and then attaching the tubes, or reverse -> tubes to fittings, then screwing into block, pump etc. Thanks
I always fit the stationary components first. Once you use a little lube, takes very little, it is easy to get those fittings on in place as long as you got room for your fingers.

I always fit the stationary components first. Once you use a little lube, takes very little, it is easy to get those fittings on in place as long as you got room for your fingers.

I'll pick some of that PTFE Superlube up today, thanks. Where are you applying it, just on the fittings in a specific spot or the inner part of the tube?

I'll pick some of that PTFE Superlube up today, thanks. Where are you applying it, just on the fittings in a specific spot or the inner part of the tube?
I put a very thin layer on hose Barb's and on the OD of the hose where it contacts the compression fitting. A tiny bit goes a long ways. I also suggest staying away from those fancy opaque colored fluids as well, unless you want to reflush and refill sooner than later. I have used Koolance and XSPC fluid treatment for years with great success. I usually use twice the amount suggested on the mix ratio. I have never had a problem in years of doing it and have never been forced to flush for any reason. Ymmv.

Another suggestion that doesn't risk introducing contaminants into your loop is to just heat the end of the tubing a bit before sliding it over the barb. I just dip the ends in some boiling water a for a few seconds and they slip right on. We used to do this to get undersized tubing over barb fittings to get a secure connection without using zip ties.

I just bought the same size fittings and flex tubes from EKWB! Just matte black tubes in my case.
@ FrgMstr, thank you so much for the recommendations! 🙏

Just a tiny bit of that PTFE. Just enough to make the surface look wet is all you need.

Awesome thanks, will grab that. For the fluid, I went with clear, for the reason that I didn't want to mess around with color on my first loop, and I've seen it cause issues. I picked up Corsair's XL5 clear, 3 Bottles... which I've heard is actually Mayhems? I haven't opened them so if you suggest something else or that stuff you mentioned along with Distilled? I'm open to suggestions. Using an EK 360 PE rad which I flushed last night with Distilled and Vinegar, and then flushed with only distilled a few times, along with shaking in-between. Flushed with 4 L of distilled total, only the first few runs with vinegar. Parts are going on the Praxis bench, and it's pretty basic, EK XRES 140, the rad, and EK Block.
Had a few other hiccups, namely loosing all the screws to the Praxis and after a few back and forth trips to Home Depot, figuring out the EK block and Praxis use Metric screws :facepalm:, and I thought the Pump included the mounting bracket, so another trip to Home Depot and settled on using L brakets, designed for doors, or something, whatever aisle I grabbed them from :D Had to drill some new holes in the L brackets but it's mounted rock solid now.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 0
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
haven't opened them so if you suggest something else or that stuff you mentioned along with Distilled?
Never have used their fluid. Only telling you what has worked for me with systems that were literally in production for years.
Using an EK 360 PE rad which I flushed last night with Distilled and Vinegar, and then flushed with only distilled a few times, along with shaking in-between.
I used to flush mine with tap, then distilled, never did more than this.

Never have used their fluid. Only telling you what has worked for me with systems that were literally in production for years.

I used to flush mine with tap, then distilled, never did more than this.

Not much came out anyways, maybe a dozen or more black specs, so maybe PPCS pre-cleaned it or EK did it at factory.

So you're using XSPC fluid treatment along with distilled?

So you're using XSPC fluid treatment along with distilled?
Yeah, I went to XSPC additive a few years ago. Still have units on the test bench that have not been flushed for years. That said, even though those have dry-break fittings on them, we lose fluid in those from time to time, so new fluid does get added to those a few times a year.

Just to make sure I understand, on the outside tube, and on the barb area of the fitting?

View attachment 228721
Don't put any lubricant directly on the inside of the tubing. Just a thin coating on the first barb is all you need to make the tubing slip on easier. Once the tubing is on the fitting, you can put a thin amount on the outside of the tubing where the compression fitting will contact the tubing. This will make compression fitting easier to screw on and keep the tubing from turning on the fitting and impacting the way the tubing routes in your system.

Thanks, appreciate all the tips, understand now :) I set aside some time this past weekend to get it all together...nope, this isn't a day project, more like a week, but looking forward to getting the loop together. Will post some shots when I've got it all together.

Looks great, especially with those torque fittings!

Thanks. The only part I forgot was the drain valve :facepalm: because I did buy one, and the plan was to stick it on the other side of the pump (2nd "IN"). The "IN" holes require a smaller connector, or an extender that's smaller than the EK fittings I have, so I plugged it up. Surprisingly, to me at least, it took less than 1L of the fluid to fill, bought 3L of Corsair XL5 stuff. Side note, that stuff stinks, and leaves a residue. Will let it run for a few hours tonight to bleed some more, while I work on the cabling.

Also the water seemed to settle after about an hour and is crystal clear minus the bubbles. Any tips for removing the tiny bubbles trapped in the block, cables, and res?

Yeah, I went to XSPC additive a few years ago. Still have units on the test bench that have not been flushed for years. That said, even though those have dry-break fittings on them, we lose fluid in those from time to time, so new fluid does get added to those a few times a year.

I will probably go the distilled water route next time with the added treatment, because the Corsair XL5 stuff stinks, has a tacky feel and leaves a residue, at least it did on the area's it dripped onto outside of the case (When I was filling... no leaks so far 🙂)

Also, I'm now addicted, only took me 20yrs on [H] to do my first custom loop :D

leave it running and tilt and turn the whole thing to get any other trapped pockets. then let it run until clear.

I'm using the Praxis Wetbench so flipping around I'm not sure how well that'd go :D but yeah I'll leave it running tonight (without the system) and the res top plug off. It's pretty much only the micro bubbles that have stuck around, a few in the block & res.

Just noticed these small black things in the CPU block, they seem to only be concentrated in the centre of that silver thing in the block. Something I should worry about, or can I leave them for now? I pre-flushed the radiator with 4L of distilled and vinegar, so if these are from the rad :banghead:
IMG_0400.jpg

You know, as much as I flushed a radiator, you really have to put pressure in the radiator before all the crap gets forced out. Once you add some PSI to the rad, it will start loosening up. Did you just pour distilled in it and shake it up? That's what I did the first time and once I put that D5 pump on full blast, in comes all the crap to the CPU block. After the mess I used an air compressor and forced water out of it several times and it cleared up big time.

Yeeaah... great. Guess I’ll notch my first drain, although I’ll let it run for a few more hours. 28c though 🥶 😎, but she’ll heat up once I try for that 5GHz 0 AVX offset:sneaky:

Last edited:
Back