Putting a password on shared folders in winxp

ApaThy_NeXT2

[H]ard|Gawd
How do you put a password on folders that are shared in windows xp. I right clicked the folder that i wanted to share and clicked the box that allows me to share it on the network. I don't see any other options that will allow me to put a password. Here is a screenshot of what I see.
files.JPG
[/IMG]

Bad news for me (I don't know about you but it looks like u got home). From what I see you can only do this in pro. (probably wrong. all u network people correct me if so.)

^^^^^^^^ Yup. found this.

XP Home supports only simple file sharing. Detailed file-level security permissions such as those found in Win2K are available only in XP Pro, which also supports the simple file-sharing model that XP Home uses.

Anybody know of an app that could do this?

From any folder, Tools -> Folder Options -> View, uncheck Simple File Sharing

You now have a Sharing and Security option on the right-click menu.
Add users as appropriate to file shares (or file permissions).

Correct. You won't password protect shares, your create user level permissions. So you'll have user accounts setup on the "server" that the user logs onto on the remote machine. User name and password will need to match. Or if you have alot of users it might be easier to setup groups and add the users you've created to the groups. You can then add groups to the NTFS or share permissions. NTFS permissions, the security tab on the share or folder, will allow you more flexibility so typically you'd leave the everyone entry wide open on the share permissions tab and lock them down with NTFS permissions.

Back