Puter Lockdown Software

Bob002

Gawd
Getting tired of my children jacking things up constantly, no matter what I say. I'm looking software that will:

1. Monitor them from going to risky sites. I'm not terribly worried about this, but it's a precaution.
2. Prevent them from downloading/installing random programs. They constantly do this with minecraft related things, and it's borderline jacking up computers because they don't listen.

Suggestions?

Website/content filtering should be handled externally of the computer with a centrally managed application/appliance.

Assuming the OS is some version of Windows (XP or newer), the products from Faronics can help -- specifically Deep Freeze and Anti-Exectuable.

Only allow them to use non-admin accounts. Vastly reduces what can gain 'persistence'.

Non admin account with UAC cranked up, decent AV software and open DNS should do everything you want to do.

Website/content filtering should be handled externally of the computer with a centrally managed application/appliance.

Assuming the OS is some version of Windows (XP or newer), the products from Faronics can help -- specifically Deep Freeze and Anti-Exectuable.

Only allow them to use non-admin accounts. Vastly reduces what can gain 'persistence'.

Non admin account with UAC cranked up, decent AV software and open DNS should do everything you want to do.

I should have phrased that better. The bigger concern is the downloading part. They are kids; they have little idea nor care for what they are downloading at any given moment. They click on the "wrong" links constantly. So, I'm more concered with blocking that than I am about blocking adult sites. So far Family Live Safety is doing just about everything I want MINUS the download blocking.

Downloading what? With OpenDNS, you can block file sharing/P2P sites and with a non admin account, most things will not install.

Here are the categories that can be blocked with OpenDNS.
opendnscats.jpg

Part of the "Deep Freeze" product I mentioned is that it preserves a system state, which is reloaded on machine restart. So any installed toolbars, applications, etc are purged the moment you bounce the machine. Just remember that the big picture solution really does need to be a layered approach.

However...

I should have phrased that better. The bigger concern is the downloading part. They are kids; they have little idea nor care for what they are downloading at any given moment. They click on the "wrong" links constantly. So, I'm more concered with blocking that than I am about blocking adult sites. So far Family Live Safety is doing just about everything I want MINUS the download blocking.
So you want to block all downloads? That seems counter-intuitive to what I would consider as acceptable use of a shared machine.

Part of the "Deep Freeze" product I mentioned is that it preserves a system state, which is reloaded on machine restart. So any installed toolbars, applications, etc are purged the moment you bounce the machine. Just remember that the big picture solution really does need to be a layered approach.

However...

So you want to block all downloads? That seems counter-intuitive to what I would consider as acceptable use of a shared machine.

The "biggest" problem that I'm running into is that they essentially know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be careful. They are 9 and 12, so they see a download link and click it.

They play Minecraft and associated mods, etc. They are constantly downloading texture packs, mods, and what have you, which turns into A) a cluttered desktop and B) me having no idea what's in said texture packs. So, I come home to half dozen newly downloaded zip or rar files as well as multiple different bogus programs.

the best part is that it's never either one of them (and I don't play the games).

It was that "Not Me" guy again right? Damn hes everywhere!
Isn't he, though!?!?! My son is apparently an angel, from what I understand. The best part was when I directly confronted him about it, and it still wasn't him. He was the only person on the computer that day, yet it somehow wasn't him.

set it to network boot from a pre-arranged system image? That way its always "clean" , give them a dir. for storage, its how my uni. handles people DLing random shit anyhow lol.

If you made a separate log in for him in windows he wouldn't be able to put stuff all over your desktop because his log in will have a fresh desktop. Make it a non-admin account and he will be able to dl but not install anything.

Or the boy needs his own computer and you can then add whatever to it to protect or monitor. This way your pc stays locked with your password.

There are plenty of monitoring and restrictive programs out there. But do what's best I think first and that's protect your pc by cutting off access to it. Buy a refurb and set up a kid desk.

Good luck

Back