PushPin Cooler dilema

Josh97

n00b
Hey there,

Bought a CPU to upgrade the aging Intel E2180, socket 775 and it seems I can't use the newer CPU Cooler since the locking mechanism is different than the one currently in use.

The problem, I guess, is that the motherboard is a Dell customized, made by Foxcon model 0RY007. Previous CPU cooler was held in place with screws and the new one has push pins which no way fit in the in the holes designed for the screws.

Anyone seen a situation like this and is this possible for a mb to have different locking mechanism than the usual standard?
If I'm out of options, I'd appreciate if anyone can recommend a good low profile case CPU cooler with fan, for a Socket 775 with screw in locking mechanism.

Thanks a lot!
Josh

problem is it will be pretty hard to find a heatsink for that board.. knowing dell and the way they work the socket mounting is most likely preparatory and you really wont find anything that fits it.. but if the mounting holes where the push pins are, are identical by chance, you should be able to remove the push pins and just screw the heatsink down.. about the only suggestions i have..

What model is the Dell? what processor was in it? Was it the E2180 or is the E2180 the upgrade?

Dell uses a proprietary mounting system for their heatsinks.

Sirmonkey1985, thanks, I managed to buy separate screws which turned out to be Metric M3 with a thread pitch of .5. With your advice and a plier I cut the pus-in pins from the new cooler and installed it that way using small washers as spacers to hold them in place.

Cyclone3d, The older E2180 had a bigger heat sink yet slightly smaller fan, the one that comes with the Celeron E3300 has a smaller sink and unlike the E2180's HS square CPU mount, it has a round base even though the CPU underneath is squarish looking. Temperature wise are the same (Idle at 42/29c Core 1 and 2) but with the E3300's bigger fan it seems the temperature rise much quicker.
On the positive side, it's a tad quieter.

Update:

After seeing some performance degradation as well, I replaced the new E3300 sink/fan with the original from Dell for the E2180 ( model JY167 / CP825 ) . When I took the E3300 out, the CPU had all its corners exposed without any paste from the heatsink since its base was round, thus a big part of it was not cooled.
Now, it's still 42/29c idle yet under load (6 mkv files playing and CPU benchmark at the same time running) it's amazingly 42/32c instead of 58/54c !!

I'm so glad I didn't chop the old one as well to take out its screws or some other parts :)

Last edited:
When I took the E3300 out, the CPU had all its corners exposed without any paste from the heatsink since its base was round, thus a big part of it was not cooled.
The entire CPU itself was cooled. The die is located in the center of the heatspreader, so as long as that part is in contact with the heatsink base, you're good. Having the edges exposed will have little to no impact on cooling performance.

The entire CPU itself was cooled. The die is located in the center of the heatspreader, so as long as that part is in contact with the heatsink base, you're good. Having the edges exposed will have little to no impact on cooling performance.

Thanks for clarifying that technical detail, I wondered why some heatsinks had a round base while the cpu itself is of different shape.

Now, another issue while reading some posts in this forum, is the fact that the Core 1 and 2 are showing a big gap difference in temperature pose any reason for concern?
The readings are still 42c for Core 1 and 29c for Core 2, tried HWMonitor, RealTemp and both confirm the same. My previous 2180 was 21/23c idle, much closer gap.
Is this a bad E3300 and should I replace it?

Back