• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

pushing the 1700+ any further?

Flavorite

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
94
bought a amd 1700+ for the hell of it, got a decent price for it...

stuck it in my rig in my sig and managed to overclock it to 1.9ghz with a 200mhz fsb. The vcore is at 1.65v and the cpu is ideling around 45c. Just wondering if i should leave it the way it is or try an push it more...

what is the max overclock that people have seen with a 1700+ on air?
 
I got my 1700+ to 2.2 @ 1.80 (I think) and it ran fine with a SLK800 and a 92mm Panaflo. Noisy, but stable.
 
I run my 1700+ T-Bred "B" all day long at 2300mhz(11.5x200). It runs games and benches completely stable at 2400mhz but for some reason it won't cold boot at that speed. I think it can't get enough juice at powerup for some reason and my mobo max is 1.75vcore.
 
.....forgot to mention that I'm using an Alpha PAL 8045 and 7 case fans and I'm about 32c idle and 43c under heavy load....
 
Booby McNipples said:
I run my 1700+ T-Bred "B" all day long at 2300mhz(11.5x200). It runs games and benches completely stable at 2400mhz but for some reason it won't cold boot at that speed. I think it can't get enough juice at powerup for some reason and my mobo max is 1.75vcore.

Happend to me once in a while on my MSI. I can't remember why, but I remember thinking it was normal, and not because it wasn't stable.

The Alpha's a good heatsink, but starting to show its age. Temperatures look good though. Keep pushing it, just make sure to watch ur voltage.
 
it happens to 1.5 volt t-breds and 1.45 volt mobile bartons.

the mobo reads the default voltage of the proc and feeds it that up until a certain point in the post cycle, before it applies your user-set voltage. if the clock is too high for the CPU to complete those post steps successfully at default voltage, then the computer will not boot cold.

i HATE DFI for releasing my lanparty B without that problem fixed, but it did lead to me doing some interesting reading while troubleshooting it, and that is what i came up with back then.

google "DFI cold boot problem" or "4 leds of death" to learn more about that sort of thing, and it did not only happen to overclocked CPUs either...............

as for speed............running my old DLT3C at 12x200 1.725 volts in my sister's AN7 prime stable. higher than that, and it won't boot cold either.
 
Actually I've been running this rig for almost 2 years and it's about to become the spare gaming/kid's pc. I have a DFI NF4 Ultra-D coming tomorrow and the winchester 3000+, MSI 6600gt and Geil 1gig have been waiting patiently here on the top shelf for it! :)
 
What type of 1700+ is it? 1.65v is nothing as long as your temps are good. Any DLTC3 should be able to do 2.4GHz with reasonable cooling. Had mine @ 2.425 (220*11) & 1.8v.
 
DFI Daishi said:
it happens to 1.5 volt t-breds and 1.45 volt mobile bartons.

the mobo reads the default voltage of the proc and feeds it that up until a certain point in the post cycle, before it applies your user-set voltage. if the clock is too high for the CPU to complete those post steps successfully at default voltage, then the computer will not boot cold.

i HATE DFI for releasing my lanparty B without that problem fixed, but it did lead to me doing some interesting reading while troubleshooting it, and that is what i came up with back then.

google "DFI cold boot problem" or "4 leds of death" to learn more about that sort of thing, and it did not only happen to overclocked CPUs either...............

as for speed............running my old DLT3C at 12x200 1.725 volts in my sister's AN7 prime stable. higher than that, and it won't boot cold either.

I see. I've always wondered but I was pretty happy with 2.3ghz so I didn't really look into it. Thanks for the info!
 
sleepeeg3 said:
What type of 1700+ is it? 1.65v is nothing as long as your temps are good. Any DLTC3 should be able to do 2.4GHz with reasonable cooling. Had mine @ 2.425 (220*11) & 1.8v.

1700+ xp

really need a better hsf... Masscool FalconRock is working well for now.
 
Flavorite said:
1700+ xp

really need a better hsf... Masscool FalconRock is working well for now.
lol i hav the same heatsink on my 1700 @ 1.9GHz :p
 
My 1700+ JIUHB runs 2.315GHz (11 x 210) at 1.6Vcore.

I use an SLK-800 and Smartfan II mounted onto an NF7-S. Idles at 40C and full load 50C.

I'm pretty happy with the speed right now, but someday I'll try for 2.4GHz.
 
Just last night, I had mine running at 1.99GHz, with the stock sink :eek: 11.5x173, 45c at idle, 52 or so while playing WOW.

I didnt play with it much, just stepped it up. Im still learning. WC parts comming this week. ;)
 
Back
Top