Push that Ram Speed

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
**Background/info**

I have 2*16 GSkill Trident F4-3200C16d-32GTZA running at 2933.

Funny how it works.

The original BIOS would require a CMOS clear if I tried to go over 2400.

The next bios update I could manage 2666, boot times were a bit like 30-45 sec longer. Trying to go higher just bounced me back to bios.

The 1.0.0.6 AGESA lets me get to 2933 no troubles.

I am guessing if I felt like playing with timings I could go higher.

**Question**

Everything is stable at 2933 with a 10 sec or so boot time. (need to actually time it though)

What are thoughts and oppinions on adding 2 more sticks of the same ddr4? How much is it likely to affect my ram speed? (really dont care about an extra 15 sec of boot time)

For the games I am playing (MMO) the extra disk cache, if nothing else, really helps with level load times.

With the data files for the MMO's and other games I play being typically over 50gb yes.

That is *ONE* consideration.

**Background/info**

I have 2*16 GSkill Trident F4-3200C16d-32GTZA running at 2933.

Funny how it works.

The original BIOS would require a CMOS clear if I tried to go over 2400.

The next bios update I could manage 2666, boot times were a bit like 30-45 sec longer. Trying to go higher just bounced me back to bios.

The 1.0.0.6 AGESA lets me get to 2933 no troubles.

I am guessing if I felt like playing with timings I could go higher.

**Question**

Everything is stable at 2933 with a 10 sec or so boot time. (need to actually time it though)

What are thoughts and oppinions on adding 2 more sticks of the same ddr4? How much is it likely to affect my ram speed? (really dont care about an extra 15 sec of boot time)

For the games I am playing (MMO) the extra disk cache, if nothing else, really helps with level load times.

In fact I agree. I used to run wow from a ram disk and it was faster by far than an SSD. Pre nvme days. The nay sayers are gonna tell you that it makes no difference but it does. Where you see the difference is in loading things on the fly like doodads and spells and instant changes during a raid where graphics arent loaded to frame buffer textures etc... as far as general loadibg screens I see no diff. Its loading things on the fly where jerkiness or incomplete textures that are visible have much faster loading.

64gb is a bit m
With the data files for the MMO's and other games I play being typically over 50gb yes.

That is *ONE* consideration.

It makes a diff. Although nvme is much slower than ram which can hit 50 plus GBytes/sec or more, nvme has closed the gap where generally ram drives are not really needed anymore. Try an nvme before another 32gb of ram. Its cheaper and you dont have stability issues.

Thank you.

I have an NVME. It does help a whole lot.

I want better. Is that not the [H] way?

-edit-

My next big upgrade will likely be a bigger and faster NVME.

Waiting for the next gen or so for a new GPU. Not top o the line anymore, still my 980 ti hangs in there.

Last edited:
Cool beans.

About two hours ago at the local Micro (mybankaccountaftervisiting)center I purchased an Samsung 960 pro 512GB nvme for 249.99. Kick a$$ [H] deal.

I have a 1tb Kingston Data Center level Sata SSD for bulk games. But the game I play the most will be loaded on the nvme.

Back