Push-Pull vs Not for Fans

Toonage

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm doing a dual loop lowflow setup on the latest build with a single 120 rad dedicated to only the CPU, and another 240 dedicated to everything else. The 120 single will be a least push because its a clean install in a v2000 case. I have 2 different 120 rads: one with fan mounts front/back, and one without. The one without matches the 240 for aesthetics. Will using 2 fans on the 120 in push-pull get me a noticeable performance gain, or will the single fan in push mode suffice? TIA

Its not going to hurt. But what kind of radiator are we talking about?

Theoretically that is the case, but when I have seen it in actual operation it didn't give what I would call an appreciable difference in airflow. Used time honored test of wetted finger in front of exhaust. However, if you have the room why not try. The Aquaero was really made for doing this kind of experimentation as you will get solid temp differentials to compare.

Lol...I wasn't gonna mention product names but good 'ol Top Nurse saw through me...:) Yes, the dual is an AC Evo 240 as well as the single-mount 120. The other doublefan mount is a stainless-encased WaterCool, which are both european style tubecool, vs heatercore. Yes TN, I may well do what you suggest as my AquaAero will be doing lots of things, but at this point I want to actually finish the build and play with the system before breaking down again to test nuances, so this is an interim situatation to start off on the right foot, and experienced opinions are valued.

Interesting read indeed B-H, thx. It told me a couple things: As a single rad with 2 fans, a 20% increase in heat dissapation imo is impressive, but with dramaticly increased noise level. It remains to be seen how it affects realworld (this particular system's) results to bring that loop's temp closer to ambient, and I think I'll test that after the initial single fan setup to establish a benchmark. Thanks for the input all.

"As a single rad with 2 fans, a 20% increase in heat dissapation imo is impressive, but with dramaticly increased noise level"

Read it again :rolleyes:

"although noise will increase somewhat."

I stand corrected, I used too strong a term and it wasn't meant as a direct quote.......at any rate I'm going to try both ways with 2 different sets of fans: The stock LianLi's and a couple Pabst fans I have. I'm counting on the AquaAero to tell the tale.

well you concern is justified. no worries. Mainly didnt want someone reading the thread and not the article to get the wrong idea. ;) one trick I used on an old server box was to mount the fans inside the shroud as the difference in air pressure will still pull air thru the entire radiator. This tends to help muffle the fans. Basically I built a box of 3/8 plywood with 2 medium speed 38mm thick panaflows 120mm fans on each inside side of the box and a bonny core in the middle and maintained a 1 inch distance from the fans to the core on both sides. The noise was not noticably louder than my original setup with 2 of the same fans outside the shroud in a more "normal" configuration. It really worked well for my setup with old DD maze 3 block which is pretty high flow non restrictive type of block. I dont remember the actual numbers but do remember it allowed me to 7V the fans making the whole thing almost silent with a minor (deg or two) increase in temps. At 12 volts it reduced temps more than 5 deg. That was with some old thunderbird CPU and it ate up all the room in the case :eek:

btw there is a nice download and printable fan cutout template at people.freenet.de/s.ufer/cutout.htm I use spray adhesive to stick em to my surface and whip out the jigsaw.

Back